• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Sony ES 8K AV Receiver Line STR-AZ7000ES STR-AZ5000ES STR-AZ3000ES STR-AZ1000ES

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have heard unconfirmed reports that it's available in other modes. I will definitely check and update..
FF6415BC-CE6B-42DE-9144-0F71A3EC66EC.jpeg

It looks like the manual just allows those four modes.

The Guy who cares

View attachment 276454

It looks like the manual just allows those four modes.
I have put 3/4 of a down payment on the Sony-az7000ES However Sony Canada is dragging their ass on releasing the Sony av line in Canada. I have kept my Yamaha RX-A3040 since 2014 and want the Sony to replace it. Reason I don't like the looks of the new Yamaha's, too much plastic and an awful 1980s lcd display. I am different from most people as I want to buy the Sony and keep it just as long as the Yamaha. When I get it I'll post my findings. As far as I can tell it's a good sounding unit as long as one wants to wait for firmware upgrades, the Sony's warranty at 5 years is absolutely excellent.

Well apparently I spoke too quick about Sony support - as soon as a warranty replacement become the only solution - they mysteriously want to offer the worst support around - apparently their authorized distributor (a very well known brand) doesn't do receipts exactly how they want so that has been a hassle to get done and so far over 3 submissions on which they keep nit picking things - gotta verify I am still in that 5 year window you know (even though it was released this month :facepalm:)

Will keep everyone informed, but as of now - Sony's 5 year warranty is meaningless if it actually requires them to offer a warranty repair. They are fine on basic support until it comes down replacing the unit - then they ensure all correspondence takes at least 24 hours in between (before the warranty repair process they were very prompt)

Also the Crestron bug is NOT fixed, they have a half built driver for Zone 2 control which ends up crashing the Crestron system (if Zone 1 is toggled off). Again very helpful until I absolutely confirmed their driver is the culprit... have yet to hear back from their Crestron driver support guy who supposedly was going to get in touch with me a few days ago.

I am not impressed at all

The Guy who cares

Well apparently I spoke too quick about Sony support - as soon as a warranty replacement become the only solution - they mysteriously want to offer the worst support around - apparently their authorized distributor (a very well known brand) doesn't do receipts exactly how they want so that has been a hassle to get done and so far over 3 submissions on which they keep nit picking things - gotta verify I am still in that 5 year window you know (even though it was released this month :facepalm:)

Will keep everyone informed, but as of now - Sony's 5 year warranty is meaningless if it actually requires them to offer a warranty repair. They are fine on basic support until it comes down replacing the unit - then they ensure all correspondence takes at least 24 hours in between (before the warranty repair process they were very prompt)

Also the Crestron bug is NOT fixed, they have a half built driver for Zone 2 control which ends up crashing the Crestron system (if Zone 1 is toggled off). Again very helpful until I absolutely confirmed their driver is the culprit... have yet to hear back from their Crestron driver support guy who supposedly was going to get in touch with me a few days ago.

I am not impressed at all
I can work around the bugs, I don't even like room correction so I should be fine. I like doing manual set up. Plus I don't use Subwoofers. I run everything "Full Range" I should be fine.

Last edited:
The dealer got back to me today on a warranty replacement, hopefully they push Sony to "accept their receipt"

360SSM = Great
Sony Support for a Warranty Replacement and Crestron Driver Patch = Not so good

7000ES Primary Issue: Hum/Modulation on all speakers (amplified with 360SSM), present in any audio mode and kicks into overdrive during media playback changes. I have gotten somewhat reduction on doing a factory reset, but then I had to reset it again for the Crestron issue and it came back like it was originally.

Not looking forward to trying to get Sony to do advanced replacement so I am not without a receiver for a couple weeks.

kalexan9

The dealer got back to me today on a warranty replacement, hopefully they push Sony to "accept their receipt"

360SSM = Great

7000ES Primary Issue: Hum/Modulation on all speakers (amplified with 360SSM), present in any audio mode and kicks into overdrive during media playback changes. I have gotten somewhat reduction on doing a factory reset, but then I had to reset it again for the Crestron issue and it came back like it was originally.

Not looking forward to trying to get Sony to do advanced replacement so I am not without a receiver for a couple weeks.
Are you using external amplification?

mattsrs

360SSM = Great

I am not sure if replacement will solve it. I had the issue on the 5000ES (among other issues that mentioned earlier in this thread) and the replacement also had the same humming noise and wasn't any better. It may have to do with their amp design.

I am not sure if replacement will solve it. I had the issue on the 5000ES (among other issues that mentioned earlier in this thread) and the replacement also had the same humming noise and wasn't any better. It may have to do with their amp design.
Did you do anything to solve it? 360SSM is great but the AVR is useless if it will continue to inject unnecessary hum…

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Random brainstorming question. What if you disable WiFi and Bluetooth.

The previous generation model didn’t offer WiFi. It had an Ethernet hub only. Maybe Sony’s lack of experience with Atmos generation/lots of CPUs slipped through the cracks since the design team probably didn’t test WiFi in their audio testing room if it was following the same QA/QC of the previous generation and the separate Wifi testing doesn’t test audio with 360SS turned on…

bluetoffee316

The previous generation model didn’t offer WiFi. It had an Ethernet hub only. Maybe Sony’s lack of experience with Atmos generation/lots of CPUs slipped through the cracks since the design team probably didn’t test WiFi in their audio testing room if it was following the same QA/QC of the previous generation and the separate Wifi testing doesn’t test audio with 360SS turned on…
Solid shout this; definitely something that could happen based on the scenario you paint. If this is the problem, I wonder if it's a firmware fix or a hardware problem.
Either way, I don't actually care as I would wire mine in anyway.

Solid shout this; definitely something that could happen based on the scenario you paint. If this is the problem, I wonder if it's a firmware fix or a hardware problem.
Either way, I don't actually care as I would wire mine in anyway.

I will check but we are hardwired in so I believe wifi is off, and we are also not utilizing Bluetooth either - but can confirm they are off

Nope. I returned it and kept my 4800h. This series from Sony is far from a stable product and I didn’t have the patience to be a beta tester
I hope that's not the case, but I certainly will return the 7000ES if they don't have a fix. Attached is my hum - was your similar to this? I had to 'click' an onscreen menu to get it to start as it only plays with detected AV content, once it stops detecting AV content it stops generating the hum after about 10 seconds (which would be a good indication its not a ground loop hum and is generated by the unit)

Dropbox Link (you can play file in browser without download): https://www.dropbox.com/transfer/AAAAAMzmO4deQoLFjJ6ziP6UUOPkFDOALGmMGGzbz6u1XmD9qaqoW30

Granted I am next to speaker to capture the hum so it seems much louder than it is, but a discerning ear can easily hear it.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Has anyone sent you an AZx000ES for testing yet?
No, there has been no offer of any of these AVRs. One person has one and was contemplating but I am not sure he is going through with it.

BTW, did anyone mention/watch the Audioholics video on this new series? Gene said that Mathew Poes had blown up the amplifier when sweep testing it! It was an awkward thing to mention to the poor Sony rep on the video.....

CyrusTheGreat_600BC

I hope that's not the case, but I certainly will return the 7000ES if they don't have a fix. Attached is my hum - was your similar to this? I had to 'click' an onscreen menu to get it to start as it only plays with detected AV content, once it stops detecting AV content it stops generating the hum after about 10 seconds (which would be a good indication its not a ground loop hum and is generated by the unit)

Dropbox Link (you can play file in browser without download): https://www.dropbox.com/transfer/AAAAAMzmO4deQoLFjJ6ziP6UUOPkFDOALGmMGGzbz6u1XmD9qaqoW30

Granted I am next to speaker to capture the hum so it seems much louder than it is, but a discerning ear can easily hear it.
It’s pretty bad. I wouldn’t be able to digest this. Is Sony Class D or AB?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s pretty bad. I wouldn’t be able to digest this. Is Sony Class D or AB?
class AB.

I had the STR-ZA5000ES which used real machined heatsinks which are absent in the AZ5000ES. The STR-AZ7000ES is the only model with machined heatsinks now…
BTW, did anyone mention/watch the Audioholics video on this new series? Gene said that Mathew Poes had blown up the amplifier when sweep testing it! It was an awkward thing to mention to the poor Sony rep on the video.....

I had not! It was the AZ7000ES too. They said it did 100x7. Makes me wonder if they turned off the protection circuit or if they didn’t have a protection circuit. Everything about this launch seems off, which is consistent with being out of practice/new factory. Maybe new team!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom