• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL A300 BTL Class-d Power Amp

Jarrodcodes

Has anyone received an A300 that doesn't have the aforementioned screen display issue? Mine is doing it exactly as described, it only happens when using the remote. I'm considering getting an exchange through Amazon but I don't want to waste my time if this happens with all of them.
PXL_20230205_182403565.MP~2.jpg

nsfgp

Don't waste your time unless it is permanent display issue. They all do that and it is temporary glitch that occurs at random time on random manual screens.
It doesn't happen often enough to bother me at all.

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
Has anyone received an A300 that doesn't have the aforementioned screen display issue? Mine is doing it exactly as described, it only happens when using the remote. I'm considering getting an exchange through Amazon but I don't want to waste my time if this happens with all of them.View attachment 262681
I had read this before my A-300 was delivered, so when it arrived, I went thru the menu and saw it once (can't remember the setting) and then haven't seen it again. And no hi-freq hiss either.

Jarrodcodes

Don't waste your time unless it is permanent display issue. They all do that and it is temporary glitch that occurs at random time on random manual screens.
It doesn't happen often enough to bother me at all.
Yeah it wasn't necessarily this specific issue that bothered me so much as the possibility that I got a unit that is missing a board revision or firmware fix. I didn't want to be missing out on a newer version with a newly purchased item.

Last edited:

Toph17

Hello everyone. So what gives this A300? Is it reliable and really powerful as written on the description? I currently have an SMSL SU-6 connected to an old Technics SU-Z15 and the sound is great. I'm very hesitant to test this little class D amp.

diablo

Forum Donor
Hello everyone. So what gives this A300? Is it reliable and really powerful as written on the description? I currently have an SMSL SU-6 connected to an old Technics SU-Z15 and the sound is great. I'm very hesitant to test this little class D amp.
I replaced a Yamaha R-N803 with the A300 to drive my fairly inefficient (85dB) floorstanders. Usually driving them full range, without sub assistance, and am well pleased with the unit. It goes plenty loud in my 7m x 5m lounge.

More powerful than what you have now. Though if you like what you have then maybe you won't notice much difference?

homeduck

Hi all, I bought smsl a300 during black friday time on Amazon but after a couple of months left channel stopped working. I have changed cables, connecting also directly without banana connectors . But nothing changed. Speakers are ok, as i tried both On the right channel and no issue. So problem seems to be amp.
Did someone have this issue? I am a bit worried about repair/support services by smsl, any experience? Thank you!

ClassicGuy

Yes, because it's the screen that is sending garbage into the audio signal. If the screen is at max it results into more audio-signal noise. Turning it completely off should result into the purest audio.

Edit:
They replied

"Hi

Sorry,there is no plan for A300 firmware update."

that's too bad :(((( :////

Does SMSL even provide firmware update for their amplifier products? I went to their support site and noticed none of the amplifiers have firmware update available.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Does SMSL even provide firmware update for their amplifier products? I went to their support site and noticed none of the amplifiers have firmware update available.
Well. I've had some email correspondence with them for a few days. Maybe something will happen.

Toph17

I replaced a Yamaha R-N803 with the A300 to drive my fairly inefficient (85dB) floorstanders. Usually driving them full range, without sub assistance, and am well pleased with the unit. It goes plenty loud in my 7m x 5m lounge.

More powerful than what you have now. Though if you like what you have then maybe you won't notice much difference?
Good morning. I would have to test to see if there is a big difference or not. The class is completely different.
I hesitate greatly between the A300 and the AO200, but it seems that the latter is no longer marketed on Amazon?

delta76

Major Contributor
Bleib, you tried and I can only appreciate the effort. We want to improve something that already performs at a very high standard especially compared to the price.

They could do it but already sells well enough and its not in the Chinese tradition to provide service after the sale. I did not expect much and so I'm not disappointed.
Chinese or not, they should not be able to get away with no service after sale. it does not matter if your amp is $200 and $2000, it should perform relatively problem-free within the warranty period (2 years in EU).

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Chinese or not, they should not be able to get away with no service after sale. it does not matter if your amp is $200 and $2000, it should perform relatively problem-free within the warranty period (2 years in EU).
If you are buying from an EU supplier, then they should be providing your after sales.

But if you import yourself directly from China, all bets are off.

I fully agree that Topping, SMSL etc should put in place proper dealer and support networks. But these cost money, so don't expect to be getting the china direct price, when they do.

Pippo

Good morning. I would have to test to see if there is a big difference or not. The class is completely different.
I hesitate greatly between the A300 and the AO200, but it seems that the latter is no longer marketed on Amazon?
Depends of the speakers, on the sensitivity. I'm inspired by this topic https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...recomendation-for-elac-dbr62-under-300.28380/, because, at first, I purchase Elac DBR62. @Toku explains both, AO200 seems to be better, but weaker

Toph17

Pippo

I have a pair of klipsch RF82-mk2 columns which have a sensitivity of 98db. I have had the SMSL SU-6 DAC for 1 week.
The A300 is available at the moment but the AO200 is not.
Directly from Aoshida Audio home page. Oh, You frenchman, look at audiophonics.

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i feel like if you cant take a friendly discussion about the perils of comparing class A/B to class D in regards to power consumption then this isnt the place for you

its like trying to deny that there's differences between ordinary gasoline engines and new hybrid engines

there are fundamental differences you cannot deny

if you want to deny it to further you own (bad faith) arguments then there really isnt any useful discussion forthcoming

Last edited:

Toph17

i feel like if you can take a friendly discussion about the perils of comparing class A/B to class D in regards to power consumption then this isnt the place for you

its like trying to deny that there's differences between ordinary gasoline engines and new hybrid engines

there are fundamental differences you cannot deny

if you want to deny it to further you own (bad faith) arguments then there really isnt any useful discussion forthcoming
Which member are you talking to? I don't understand your thinking.

DoesNotExist

If you are buying from an EU supplier, then they should be providing your after sales.

But if you import yourself directly from China, all bets are off.

I fully agree that Topping, SMSL etc should put in place proper dealer and support networks. But these cost money, so don't expect to be getting the china direct price, when they do.
I agree with you

For this reason I bought from Amazon during last Black Friday with the insurance for damages in case of failure. 7/8€ spent

Just in case...

...even if my A300 Is currently working in full !

Jarrodcodes

I agree with you

For this reason I bought from Amazon during last Black Friday with the insurance for damages in case of failure. 7/8€ spent

Just in case...

...even if my A300 Is currently working in full !
You inspired me, I went ahead and bought the plan. I don't normally buy such things but this is my first Chinese class D amp and I don't really trust the durability.

Top Bottom