• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

class D Amp recomendation for ELAC DBR62, under 300$

marcello252

Hi,
I'm completely overwhelmed about the subject.

I'm actually using an old NAD C320 to drive a pair of ELAC DBR62. I have to say these speakers sound fantastic compared to all I had in the past with this amp.

But when I bought the speakers I tested in the shop with a NAIM amp, well, I remember they were incredible, with a ricness of details I haven't found in my setup, although I'm quite happy with it .

Ok NAIM is a class apart but I suspect part of the problem could be the lower sensitivity of the speaker too, giving the amp a much difficult load to drive.

I wonder if there could be a budget power amp in Class D you could recomend to use it after the NAD pre, with much higher power handling and a more modern approach. There are a lot of reviews here and I started being quite confused.

I'd like to stay in a range under 300 euro / dollars.

thank you in advance for your kind help,

Marcello

cicastol

Ciao,
just released this new amp from topping, it seems interesting:

P.S. IMHO better to rise a little bit the budget to get at least an Hypex NC252MP based amp .... :)

Last edited:
OP
M

marcello252

P.S. IMHO better to rise a little bit the budget to get at least an Hypex NC252MP based amp .... :)

thank you for the hint

anyway, the 300€ budget is just indicative of the range I'm looking for, it's not mandatory

Offler

I drive them with NAD d3020v2, which costed 500... I was looking for lowest THD+N for a small low power integrated amp, in range between 300 and 650.

Its class D with modified Hypex UcD102.

Offler

3020v2 with its lilliputian 30W power out is really heavily underrated to drive the low sensitivity elac's, H(f) graph show they are difficult to drive and need beefy amp.
No argue about lower power or lower sensitivity. I use this combo for near-field listening in a small room and probably should mention that.

But keep in mind that d3020v2 is rated 30W is at 8 ohms and 100W at 4 ohms, while DBRs62 are rated for 6 ohms.

wrevilo

I've been using the same speakers with a Denon PMA-50 integrated DAC amp. This amp is recommended by ASR, but it is low on power at 25W into 8 Ohm. Nevertheless I have found it to work really well at my listening volumes and the speakers are fantastic.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
try AIYIMA A07. it is within any budget. for Topping PA5 - u need to budget for balanced DAC, so price will be 260+350
S.M.S.L M300 MKII is $228 in USA. No idea on European pricing. Topping D100 Balanced is $140, but only USB and no remote. However, the OP presumably already has a DAC he is happy with.

Amir tested the NAD 320 at 67 watts into either 4 or 8 ohms with 110/160 Watt peaks. To get enough power increase to make a difference, he is indeed probably going to need to look at NC252MP based amps, or higher. However, if he's not using a subwoofer, I'd recommend he try one combined with some method of high pass crossover. If it doesn't need to play below 80 - 100Hz, I think the NAD has plenty of power.

Walter

Was the Naim amp by any chance in a listening room with acoustic treatment and possibly even EQ? If so, that could easily account for the difference.

TheWalkman

With my Elacs, I’m switching between an Aiyima A04, an A07 and a Niles 2150 amps. Either of the three amps drive the Elacs to a satisfying 100+ dbs.

(I’m listening as I type this response.)

I‘ve seen others talk about the need for lots of power to drive these speakers, but that certainly isn’t my experience in the two months I’ve owned them. You can drop lots of cash on an expensive amp but I doubt these fine speakers will sound any better.

Whatever amp you buy, you’ll love the Elacs. They sound great.

Last edited:
OP
M

marcello252

thank you all for your kind advices.

I already have a dac, so the concern is all about the power section, although, based on what you're saying, I'm starting thinking that the problem, if I can say problem as tge speakers sound however awesome, could be elsewhere.

As Walter said the Naim was in a well treated listening room, I've found the Amirm test I didn't catch before and it seems the Nad could drive the DBR62 even in that difficult impedance point emerged in its test.

I m thinking about trying something really powerful from the used market based on your suggestions and eventually reselling.

thank you

Walter

If you have a computer you can use as a source, even temporarily, try purchasing a UMIK-1 and either try REW (Room EQ Wizard) plus Equalizer APO. Or download the 2 week free trial version of Dirac for an even easier method. Read up on either/both on this site. If that substantially improves the sound but you don't want to continue using the computer as your source, you can look into a solution such as the various miniDSP units. Or start reading up on room treatments and see if you can solve some of the worst issues that way. Either way, the UMIK-1 and REW will be very helpful.

marcom22

With my Elacs, I’m switching between an Aiyima A04, an A07 and a Niles 2150 amps. Either of the three amps drive the Elacs to a satisfying 100+ dbs.

(I’m listening as I type this response.)

I‘ve seen others talk about the need for lots of power to drive these speakers, but that certainly isn’t my experience in the two months I’ve owned them. You can drop lots of cash on an expensive amp but I doubt these fine speakers will sound any better.

Whatever amp you buy, you’ll love the Elacs. They sound great.

I agree with you "whatever amp you buy, you will love the Elacs (DB-r 62). They sound great" ....... but it is wrong to think that these speakers do not require a lot of power to be driven to the best of their ability . Also I don't trust that you can drive them at 100 (+ !!!!) dbs, it's impossible for this kind of speakers (and with their efficency) how do you measure the volume?

TheWalkman

I agree with you "whatever amp you buy, you will love the Elacs (DB-r 62). They sound great" ....... but it is wrong to think that these speakers do not require a lot of power to be driven to the best of their ability . Also I don't trust that you can drive them at 100 (+ !!!!) dbs, it's impossible for this kind of speakers (and with their efficency) how do you measure the volume?
I’m running a NIOSH Sound meter app on my iPad, eight or so feet from the speakers.

Is this app measuring to laboratory grade accuracy? Nope. Is it giving me a rough idea of sound levels? I’d say so.

FWIW, I like my music on the, “forceful” side. I can tell you that when my app says 100 + db, these little speakers are cranking. So much so, that when turning the volume up in the evening, I’m to the point that I’m worried the neighbor on that side of my house will send me a nasty text telling me to back it down, (though it hasn’t happened yet.)

My earlier post message is that with this pair of Elacs, I have three amps I switch between on a regular basis, varying from a clean 50 to 150 watts each and any of the three will drive the little speakers to the point that they will scream.

As I type this response, listening to the Elacs being driven by a $50 Aiyima A04, I‘ll stand by my opinion that you don’t need an over the top, beastly amp to make the Elacs sing.

marcom22

I’m running a NIOSH Sound meter app on my iPad, eight or so feet from the speakers.

Is this app measuring to laboratory grade accuracy? Nope. Is it giving me a rough idea of sound levels? I’d say so.

FWIW, I like my music on the, “forceful” side. I can tell you that when my app says 100 + db, these little speakers are cranking. So much so, that when turning the volume up in the evening, I’m to the point that I’m worried the neighbor on that side of my house will send me a nasty text telling me to back it down, (though it hasn’t happened yet.)

My earlier post message is that with this pair of Elacs, I have three amps I switch between on a regular basis, varying from a clean 50 to 150 watts each and any of the three will drive the little speakers to the point that they will scream.

As I type this response, listening to the Elacs being driven by a $50 Aiyima A04, I‘ll stand by my opinion that you don’t need an over the top, beastly amp to make the Elacs sing.

Thanks for your kind reply and yes you are right ........ with your own app (NIOSH Sound meter App on Android) I measure 100+ dbs in Spl, but for me it is very strange I don't know, for me not they are true 100dbs. With 2 other apps (Sound meter by Abc Apps, Sound and Dbs by Tools Dev) I don't go beyond 92dbs, but I must admit that all your data is correct. Of course with a "beefy" amplifier the mid and low frequencies change (for the better) drastically. Thanks friend, it's a pleasure to discuss with people like you. If you want to try the other apps I mentioned, just as feedback. Good day ;)

Koeitje

Major Contributor
The only thing you might need is some more power. NAD's class AB amplifiers tend to be pretty good.

The reason it sounded different in the store is probably just the room though.

Top Bottom