• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Neumann MA 1 - Automatic Monitor Alignment

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know the procedure for a stereo subwoofer setup posted 2021.

Is the ma1 software (Windows) now able to calibrate a stereo subwoofer setup (2 x KH310, 2 x KH750) in a single pass like a mono subwoofer setup?
Unfortunately not.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Version 1.6.2 released:

1674409507122.png

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

mj30250

So I guess I'm an idiot and didn't check to see that the MA 1 mic uses an XLR connection and requires a P48 audio input. Could anyone recommend a cheap input that would work fine for using the MA 1 mic? I'm using it to calibrate a pair of KH 150s which are connected to an E70 DAC and then to a Windows PC via USB. This is the only use I would have for the audio input so I don't need any other bells / whistles. Thanks.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Any audio interface with phantom power would work. I use a RME Fireface UCX-II but a cheap Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen should do the trick:

diavolo

kh80(1.32) and kh750(1.10) have released a new firmware update, although I don't know what has changed, but it makes me feel that the products I am using have a long life cycle, and I feel that the money is well spent

audafreak

kh80(1.32) and kh750(1.10) have released a new firmware update, although I don't know what has changed, but it makes me feel that the products I am using have a long life cycle, and I feel that the money is well spent
How do you know it, what is the source? How to update? Neumann Control or MA1? Did anybody tried it?
I hope bug in KH80 with auto standby is corrected after 2 years.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you know it, what is the source? How to update? Neumann Control or MA1? Did anybody tried it?
When you install MA1-software 1.62 and connect it to your speakers it updates the firmware.

audafreak

So I have tried new MA1.
For the first time one monitor not found. Second start all 3 monitors were found.
FW was updated. But this is the only thing which worked.

Then I tried "Create new alignment" and MA1 hanged. Many times, after rebooting, always... Always had to kill it.
Typical "Neumann quality".

WTF, Neumann, you are not able to create such a simple sw a bit reliable even after several years of development? Really? Again - after several years of development!

I paid for working sw/hw and I am still not able to use it at all! Not able to create any alignment!
I have not seen something like that in my life and I have seen really lot of sw in many different operating systems.

mj30250

Apologies for what is probably a very basic question, but I'm getting ready to run MA 1 for the first time, without a subwoofer, only a pair of KH 150s. I'm a bit lost as to how to connect everything up.

Current setup:

KH 150s via XLR > Topping E70 DAC > Windows PC via USB

KH 150s via CAT 5 > network switch > Windows PC

Audio input is a Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen 3 > Windows PC via USB

Do I need to plug the speakers directly into the audio input during the calibration (bypassing the DAC)? If so, I guess I'd need to pick up a pair of XLS to TRS adapters.

Thanks.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do I need to plug the speakers directly into the audio input during the calibration (bypassing the DAC)? If so, I guess I'd need to pick up a pair of XLS to TRS adapters.
Yes. Page 34 of the instructions:

1674847270280.png

mj30250

Thank you. My shopping list to get MA 1 working grows ever longer!

Reactions: 0dB

HQY

I got same problem and the problem is still there after the firmware upgrade. :(

skeptastic

You all have made me confident that I won't purchase the MA 1 alignment kit or the KH 750 for some time. Hopefully they get the software sorted out over the next few years, as it sounds like they've been working on it for quite a while. Just grabbed a pair of b-stock KH 150s from Thomann, and the 39 Hz extension should be amazing, although I'd love to grab a sub at some point in the near future. I'll certainly keep an eye on developments surrounding the MA 1 kit, and hope they turn the corner at some point.

I'm sorry the MA 1 is giving you all so many issues, and appreciate you sharing your experiences to help further the knowledge base here on ASR.

mj30250

I finally have everything necessary to run through MA 1 with a pair of KH 150s. I'm using them nearfield (desktop) at a listening distance of 1 meter. The MA 1 software seems adamant on maintaining an equilateral triangle when taking the first measurements. That would put the mic several inches behind where I sit at the desk. Squeezing the two speakers closer together to create a true equilateral triangle really isn't an option.

Which would be the lesser of two evils... placing the mic at the actual listening position, or placing it well behind where my head normally is?

Thanks.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I finally have everything necessary to run through MA 1 with a pair of KH 150s. I'm using them nearfield (desktop) at a listening distance of 1 meter. The MA 1 software seems adamant on maintaining an equilateral triangle when taking the first measurements. That would put the mic several inches behind where I sit at the desk. Squeezing the two speakers closer together to create a true equilateral triangle really isn't an option.

Which would be the lesser of two evils... placing the mic at the actual listening position, or placing it well behind where my head normally is?

Thanks.
That was one of the deal breakers when trying to setup my KH150s with MA1 Mic/app as it’s imposible for me to place my KH150s and MLP in a equilateral triangle so ended returning the MA1 mic and got a MiniDSP FLEX with Dirac Live.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
You all have made me confident that I won't purchase the MA 1 alignment kit or the KH 750 for some time. Hopefully they get the software sorted out over the next few years, as it sounds like they've been working on it for quite a while. Just grabbed a pair of b-stock KH 150s from Thomann, and the 39 Hz extension should be amazing, although I'd love to grab a sub at some point in the near future. I'll certainly keep an eye on developments surrounding the MA 1 kit, and hope they turn the corner at some point.

I'm sorry the MA 1 is giving you all so many issues, and appreciate you sharing your experiences to help further the knowledge base here on ASR.
Works for me for two years. Not saying others don’t have problems. Just saying that people who have problems are of course vocal about it whereas others are not.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

Thanks.
Put it at MLP.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Put it at MLP.
Yes, no problem. Should be precisely symmetrical in the middle, though.
MA1 has some cosmetic flaws and bugs sometimes, but no real problems.

astcal

Forum Donor
just got 1.6.2 installed last week. KH750 and KH80's got their firmware updated. The setup was still not smooth -- it just couldn't get KH80's sound correctly ( kept complaining volume is too low). I fumbled with KH80 backplate switches and somehow all works mysteriously. All is good now, but, again, I wish Neumann's software design and system integration could be better.

Top Bottom