• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Neumann MA 1 - Automatic Monitor Alignment

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, it's front LR and surround LR and a sub. Though it seems like in that configuration only the front would use the subwoofer?
Yes.

So in order to get subwoofer support on all speakers I would have to get a center? .
5.1 means 5 main channels and 1 LFE channel. The 0.1 channel only contains LFE content. This is a different thing compared to using a subwoofer as a support (3rd or 4th "way") for your main speakers.

Depending on what hardware or software you use it is possible to route the bass content of the main channels to the subwoofer, too, so that it does more than playing LFE channel content.

Like someone else said, surround channels usually don't contain a lot of bass, so you should be ok with the sub integrated to front left and front right.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Same (macOS). Sent a message to their support portal.
Out of interest: Which version did you use before changing to 2.0? In my case it was 1.8 beta and i wonder if this may be the cause for the problem.

snackiac

I don't really get why it would care about what channel is being routed to the speakers though, that's the job of the processor. Why does a particular speaker care if it's receiving LFE vs Mains, surrounds vs mains, etc. Why can't there just be a 'create new multi config' option where you simply select the discovered speakers you want to include in the alignment?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

VTKZ

So how exactly does a 4.2 should work ? I use at the moment the Oppo Darbee, Crane Song Solaris as DAC / PreAmp and the KH150 with one KH750.

I want to build up an 4.2 Setup with KH80 as Surrounds and a 2md 750. Nothing fancy but i watched a lot of movies in the past and miss the Cinema Sounds. My Idea was to buy Marantz AV7706 as Electronic and sell my DAC.

How you guys recommend to use the MA1 properly ? I dont understand how the MA1 knows and uses the Channels & Audiosignal from the BluRay Player. Anyone can explain that to me because in my logic you need an Encoder for the Surround Format etc before the MA1 Correction....

Ron78

Not possible. (edit: If you mean calibration via MA1 software)
yes i mean via MA1 software. I have Neumann KH80 L/C/R and KH750DSP @Meridian and calibrating is in this constellation......and of course 4 Sorrunds JBL305 aka 7.1 System.

Last edited:
Ok so after some for fiddling I found out that FL and FR have to be bass managed by the kh750 if I want bass when using ASIO and exclusive WASAPI drivers. So plugging the KH 750 into the LFE channel on the DM7 wouldn't be a good idea. But if I got a second KH750 for the LFE channel I could have windows bass manage the surrounds and use LFE without messing with the front 2.1.

Of course, I'm not sure how the new multichannel MA 1 would work with this, but this seems like the best way to get a good 4.1 setup on windows. If I had the surrounds bass managed by the second KH 750 , there would be a better chance it would work with MA 1, but then I think I would miss out of the LFE channel? This would probably be a lot more simple if Neumann released a multichannel DSP subwoofer.

VTKZ

Ok so after some for fiddling I found out that FL and FR have to be bass managed by the kh750 if I want bass when using ASIO and exclusive WASAPI drivers. So plugging the KH 750 into the LFE channel on the DM7 wouldn't be a good idea. But if I got a second KH750 for the LFE channel I could have windows bass manage the surrounds and use LFE without messing with the front 2.1.

Of course, I'm not sure how the new multichannel MA 1 would work with this, but this seems like the best way to get a good 4.1 setup on windows. If I had the surrounds bass managed by the second KH 750 , there would be a better chance it would work with MA 1, but then I think I would miss out of the LFE channel? This would probably be a lot more simple if Neumann released a multichannel DSP subwoofer.
Thats what i also be wondering. The thing is they def. need to release some bigger subwoofers for the homecinema guys & studios because the 750 is just too small if you want to drive the SPL they have in the cinema. Its okey for an small room but i think when you want to get serious lowend + the headroom, something like a KH870 DSP would be an way or something in between

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

From the perspective of the MA1, I have a stereo front with 2x KH750 and 2x KH310, and a second stereo system with 2x KH80. I use the secondary system as surrounds. I have both systems calibrated independently.
My interface is a RME UCX II. It comes with a great software called TotalMix FX. In Windows, it looks like this (4 mains + LFE):
1697145161911.png
1697145609691.png

In TotalMix i can route LFE to front, this looks like this:
1697145283027.png

When listening to music in stereo, I get full advantage of my 2 subs in my stereo front.
When watching movies, the whole bass content from L+C+R+LFE comes from mains + subs, only surround content comes from the KH80, which is fine. I don´t need WASAPI or ASIO for this.

BTW i absolutely hate that whole LFE drama in mixes, especially surround music. You never know what amount of LFE is correct.
I practically never listen to surround content actually, because the bass never sounds correct. So i am probably not the best example.

Last edited:

VTKZ

From the perspective of the MA1, I have a stereo front with 2x KH750 and 2x KH310, and a second stereo system with 2x KH80. I use the secondary system as surrounds. I have both systems calibrated independently.
My interface is a RME UCX II. It comes with a great software called TotalMix FX. In Windows, it looks like this (4 mains + LFE):
View attachment 318364View attachment 318384

In TotalMix i can route LFE to front, this looks like this:
View attachment 318374

When listening to music in stereo, I get full advantage of my 2 subs in my stereo front.
When watching movies, the whole bass content from L+C+R+LFE comes from mains + subs, only surround content comes from the KH80, which is fine. I don´t need WASAPI or ASIO for this.

BTW i absolutely hate that whole LFE drama in mixes, especially surround music. You never know what amount of LFE is correct.
I practically never listen to surround content actually, because the bass never sounds correct. So i am probably not the best example.

Ohh ein Deutscher, moin :-D I think i personally just wait a little bit and see how the Multichannel MA1 goes and how the first reviews are.
I dont have any time pressure. I use my Neumannˋs & MA1 as an normal Hifi Setup but i watch also a lot of movies and want to u,,upgrade,, to a surround setup as an simple 4.2. When the MA1 is capable of this kind of Setup i buy it, otherwise i save my Nerves to messing arround with the software and go straight to a trinnov

morello777

reeinstalling an older version deleting all previous measurments and then installing the newest version did the job no crashing anymore

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
reeinstalling an older version deleting all previous measurments and then installing the newest version did the job no crashing anymore
But you had to make new measurements then? Or what do you mean with "previous measurements"?

morello777

reason for the crash was the measurements that i got saved on the ma1 software.

so i first deleted all measurements that i got saved on the ma1 software. then i deinstalled the version and installed the newest version and like that it worked for me. had i not deleted the saved messurments the ma1 update would have crashed still

AudioBoy

Yesterday I updated the firmware of my subs to version 1.2.4. Today I tried to connect to them remotely via the Nuemann Control App via iPad running iOS 17.0.3. The program finds subwoofers on the network, but cannot select them. When you click on the line with the name of the subwoofer, an orange rectangle on the right is highlighted, but the checkbox itself is not activated. On the previous firmware everything worked fine. Does anyone know how to fix this?

snackiac

Yesterday I updated the firmware of my subs to version 1.2.4. Today I tried to connect to them remotely via the Nuemann Control App via iPad running iOS 17.0.3. The program finds subwoofers on the network, but cannot select them. When you click on the line with the name of the subwoofer, an orange rectangle on the right is highlighted, but the checkbox itself is not activated. On the previous firmware everything worked fine. Does anyone know how to fix this?
I don't know, but I have the same issue.

audafreak

Maybe they disabled support for Neumann Control app.

audafreak

reason for the crash was the measurements that i got saved on the ma1 software.

so i first deleted all measurements that i got saved on the ma1 software. then i deinstalled the version and installed the newest version and like that it worked for me. had i not deleted the saved messurments the ma1 update would have crashed still
This is known issue with almost all MA1 versions - incompatibility with previous versions. Terrible.

Top Bottom