• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Neumann MA 1 - Automatic Monitor Alignment

audafreak

Generally companies which are very good in HW have often not so many experience in SW development, this is usually new for them. As addition to this there is big demand for developers but only part of them are experienced. Experienced developer thinks about user - how they will use the sw, how to make their work easier and more user friendly and also allow all needed possibilities for them - and design the sw according this.

MA1 has really very good internal alignment engine but really terribly unreliable user interface. Lot of problems.

iPad Neumann.Control has really great user interface - but alignment engine is very simple, just EQ. But all monitor parameters setting works, unlimited setup saving and restoring, bass management on/off, muting each monitor separately of in any combinations, dim, everything works. I never had any problem with monitor detection, setup switching. Only standby mode does not work correctly but this is KH80 firmware problem not NC.

Hopefully MA1 will mature more quickly - only very small cosmetic changes together with some new bugs after several months is not very great. It is said that it is general trend in sw world. It is more and more complicated and more and more buggy.

It would be great if MA1 would be designed the same way as NC - the same user interface but with MA1 alignment engine on Windows/Mac. And once everything will work - possibility to send finished alignment from Windows/Mac to iPad NC as new setup. This would be my dream. I know, it would need complete reprograming of MA1 and this will not happen.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed, same version number as the beta, though. I guess that means they haven´t changed anything since the beta.

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
I would like to think they've sorted the issues. Not very good if they haven't.

audafreak

It is just renamed beta file, the same version, size, digital signature dates. Really only renaming.

baccus

hello im interested in the MA 1, but i have some questions. maybe someone can answer them.
i have KH120+KH750 and topping a90+d50s.

if i do the measurements with an interface, can i switch back to the A90 without loosing the correction?
does the ethernet cable has to be connected after the correction?

thanks

audafreak

hello im interested in the MA 1, but i have some questions. maybe someone can answer them.
i have KH120+KH750 and topping a90+d50s.

if i do the measurements with an interface, can i switch back to the A90 without loosing the correction?
does the ethernet cable has to be connected after the correction?

thanks
Yes, you can switch back, monitors don't loose correction until next measurement.
Ethernet cable needs to be connected only during measurement. Disconnet it later.

CMB

So basically What's the difference between MA1 and GLM?
MA 1 is for Neumann
GLM is for Genelec
:rolleyes:
Basically speaking ....

(Sorry - I just could not hold it / but your question is interesting and I hope you get more pertinente answers than mine) :)

Last edited:

audafreak

CMB

Maybe a question in addition and for comparaison with REW/DD8c as well:

When you load from REW to Dutch & Dutch 8c... is this also only EQ? Or does it analyse and « transmit » also some kind of Phase Correction information?

Trying basically to understand the differences between the 3 options.

Thank you.

NeoZs99

Yes.
The mic holder is included, but you still need to mount it on a mic stand.
Thank you..and buy another audio interface for mic input I guess? I using a stereo dac only atm

NeoZs99

Yes that's correct.
You'll need an audio interface that has a 48v phantom power mic input.
The MOTU 2 looks good, would that be suitable? and what are you all using?

Thanks again

J-B

The MOTU 2 looks good, would that be suitable? and what are you all using?

Thanks again
The MOTU 2 will certainly be suitable. It's a reputable brand and has 48V mic inputs so you're good to go.
If you want you can also still use your normal stereo DAC after you've saved the calibration.
That's also what I do (I use an RME Fireface UCX for measurements, but an ADI-2 PRO for playback).

NeoZs99

Well.. my isp doesn't use ipv6. That's a big L ffs. Do I have any workaround for using the MA1 now?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well.. my isp doesn't use ipv6. That's a big L ffs. Do I have any workaround for using the MA1 now?
I don't think the isp is relevant, only the local network has to support ipv6, afaik. Don't know details about the configuration, though.

Top Bottom