• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Neumann MA 1 - Automatic Monitor Alignment

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think routing settings in Totalmix can have influence on MA1 finding interface? I don't think so but not sure how it works.

I don´t think so. In my case, the problem is network-related. I tried it on a different computer (without totalmix installed).

I found all settings are in windows folder C:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Local\Automatic Alignment, next time I will try to remove all files in Preferences subfolder if it will work. Funny thing is each parameter has separate file, nothing like XML. Standby time I have even 3 times with hexa filename.

Monitor ip addresses are stored in Constellations\HW_setup1.json file , maybe removing this file will help in finding monitors.

PakAppDB.sqlite is not important I think, nothing interesting.

Never remove those files completely - create a backup or just rename them for instance to original_filename.bak to have the possibility of rollback..

SW MA1 is installed in C:\ProgramData\Neumann\MA 1 - Automatic Monitor Alignment . Here we have interesting subfolder Firmware :)

Thanks. I just tried to uninstall the software again and then renamed the whole folder "C:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Local\Automatic Alignment" to "- old". I then reinstalled, folder got newly created, but it still doesn´t work. Constellation-folder was empty btw.

audafreak

If you have a separate network switch, try to use it without connection to router to avoid some bad router settings. It should work without router if using IPv6.
I would check also network ethernet properties of your PC network card if Internet protocol Version 6 is enabled.

What was recommended by Neumann support? What did you tried? Maybe it would be helpful for others.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have a separate network switch, try to use it without connection to router to avoid some bad router settings. It should work without router if using IPv6.
I would check also network ethernet properties of your PC network card if Internet protocol Version 6 is enabled.

What was recommended by Neumann support? What did you tried? Maybe it would be helpful for others.

IPv6 is enabled.
I did not try the switch without a router yet. I did not know this should work. I´ll try this, because i indeed suspect it has something to do with the router. The curious thing is that 1.2 works. Neumann said they did not intend to change the network behaviour between versions 1.2 and 1.3.

The problem i have seem to affect only a small number of people, and Neumann AFAIK is still working on figuring out the reasons.

They said the subs only support a limited number of connections at the same time, so i was asked to make sure that no (other) instance of the app was active in the background, and also restart speakers and software. Another thing was to try changing "private" network to "public".

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thank you very much, that actually worked! I did not know it could without the router. If i pull the router out of the switch, the MA-1-software 1.3 finds the subs in the network. I had to try a few times, because first it only found one, but it worked eventually.
After i plugged the router back in, the software again could not find the speakers.

Last edited:
Reactions: CMB

audafreak

@DjBonoBobo
I am really glad it helped you.
This is why these forums exist. I have never received any help from any company support except for RME (thank you). People have to help each other.

@jj-wohlgemuth
Please investigate this case and release some info in documentation why this can happen and how to avoid this. What kind of settings on router have influence and maybe try to avoid this in communication with monitors if it is possible.

And also why I can use MA1 with Focusrite interface and not with RME interface.

It would be also useful to know when MA1 resets parameters in monitors - to which screen I can go without need for finishing full recalibration.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: CMB

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI, there is a new version 1.3.3 beta (Windows only) that solves my network-problem: https://en-de.neumann.com/file-finder?product=MA 1&category=monitor_accessories

It would be also useful to know when MA1 resets parameters in monitors - to which screen I can go without need for finishing full recalibration.

I asked Neumann and got the answer that eq parameters are reset on the screen "adapting output level". I don´t know if it happens when you click "Start" or before. But you should be safe at least until the screen where you enter the mics serial and calibration id. I understand this to mean that you can create a new system setup (logo brightness, volume) without resetting the EQ parameters. If you change something in your network you might need to create a new setup, but not make new measurements.

jj-wohlgemuth

FYI, there is a new version 1.3.3 beta (Windows only) that solves my network-problem: https://en-de.neumann.com/file-finder?product=MA 1&category=monitor_accessories

I asked Neumann and got the answer that eq parameters are reset on the screen "adapting output level". I don´t know if it happens when you click "Start" or before. But you should be safe at least until the screen where you enter the mics serial and calibration id. I understand this to mean that you can create a new system setup (logo brightness, volume) without resetting the EQ parameters. If you change something in your network you might need to create a new setup, but not make new measurements.

Correct. The alignment reset happens when the application says "setting up system", which happens after you click the start button on the "adapting output level" view. Changing the system sensitivity or the Front LED brightness of the KH 80s will not change your current system alignment.

audafreak

@jj-wohlgemuth
I tried now with version 1.3.3 beta and my RME UCX2 was found for the first time. I did not calibrated - just tried to select channels and it seems to be ok.
But I see Settings icon in top right corner changes size in some situations and became wrong. It was the same in 1.3. Just cosmetic problem.
How to get back from this settings screen? Save stays on it. When I clicked on version number screen become greyed and sw hangs. I had to kill it.

Another problem which many people have had from the very beginning with KH80 (discussed in ASR and Gearspace) is going to standby after set time even if they get strong signal and after several seconds it goes back on. I have two and both go standby after 30 min.(set by me in Neumann.Control some time ago) at almost the same time and immediately return back because signal is still present. Standby level set in Neumann.Control has no effect. It looks like it depends on SPL level - when I had SPL 80-85 dB then it happened and when SPL was set to 100dB (default) then it did not happen. Standby sensitivity setting has no sense, it should be set default to very low level because it must not go to standby if hearable signal goes to KH80.
It looks like KH80 DSP firmware problem. Will you please correct it? Many people need SPL set lower than 100dB and standby is useful functionality.

Please also add this standby settings also to MA1 - it should be very simple to do. Currently we can set it only via iPad and then recalibrating everything again because iPad overwrites everything. Very user unfriendly.

It would be good also to change Neumann.Control so that it will not set last configuration immediately after start but only on user request by selecting from stored configs. Also small change but would make it more compatible with MA1. Possibility to mute separate monitors or their combinations or disable alignement is very cool.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But I see Settings icon in top right corner changes size in some situations and became wrong. It was the same in 1.3. Just cosmetic problem.
How to get back from this settings screen? Save stays on it. When I clicked on version number screen become greyed and sw hangs. I had to kill it.

You can click the settings icon (gear-symbol) again to close the settings-screen.

hotterthankimchi

HI I'm new to here!
I'm using kh80, kh750 and ma-1 and It's really good I'm happy with that.
I was using motu m2 for my main interface and now I'm using SPL marc one for my main
I calibrated using m2 and just switching to spl marc one
is it ok to use? or should I re calibration?
so my question is..
When I change the gear should I re calibration?
because sound is so different..(in a good way) when I listening music and working in daw.
but the problem is spl marc one has no mic input and phantom power
so I bought cheapest mixer for just using mic and send signal to spl marc one line in.
but when I choose spl marc one in ma-1 desktop app.. ma-1 not working at all(No microphone signal detected. that's the error message):facepalm:
so I'm considering buy merging anubis
that was my first choice..
but I bought spl marc one pretty good price(second hand)..

sorry for my bad english!

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I calibrated using m2 and just switching to spl marc one
is it ok to use? or should I re calibration?
so my question is..
When I change the gear should I re calibration?
because sound is so different..(in a good way) when I listening music and working in daw.

It is fine to use one interface for calibration only and use another for listening. No need for re-calibration when changing gear. M2 and SPL Marc One should both be neutral/transparent. I don´t know why the sound seems different, though.

so I bought cheapest mixer for just using mic and send signal to spl marc one line in.
but when I choose spl marc one in ma-1 desktop app.. ma-1 not working at all(No microphone signal detected. that's the error message):facepalm:
so I'm considering buy merging anubis
that was my first choice..
but I bought spl marc one pretty good price(second hand)..

sorry for my bad english!

I don´t know why it´s not working, but i don´t think you need to buy a third interface. You wrote you are happy with the result?

hotterthankimchi

It is fine to use one interface for calibration only and use another for listening. No need for re-calibration when changing gear. M2 and SPL Marc One should both be neutral/transparent. I don´t know why the sound seems different, though.

I don´t know why it´s not working, but i don´t think you need to buy a third interface. You wrote you are happy with the result?
Thank you!!!
I'm going to ask neumann for my interface issue

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
One for @jj-wohlgemuth. I'm using the latest 1.3.3 beta software and my speakers (2 x KH 80 & 2 x KH 750) were not all recognised initially. After rebooting my laptop all monitors were recognised twice. I think this error has already been reported by someone else. I connect all my speakers to a simple switch by ethernet then connect switch to my router (TP-LINK AX6000) by ethernet and laptop connected to switch by wi-fi.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One for @jj-wohlgemuth. I'm using the latest 1.3.3 beta software and my speakers (2 x KH 80 & 2 x KH 750) were not all recognised initially. After rebooting my laptop all monitors were recognised twice. I think this error has already been reported by someone else. I connect all my speakers to a simple switch by ethernet then connect switch to my router (TP-LINK AX6000) by ethernet and laptop connected to switch by wi-fi.

I had a similar problem and got the answer from Neumann that they are aware of it and will fix this in a future release.
You can simply close the software and start it again. This works for me at least. In my case, i have to try again up to three times until the monitors are correctly listed. Not a big deal, though, because it only takes a few seconds to close and start the software again.

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
I don't know, I consider it a pretty consequential issue. EDIT This also causes a problem at the 'Output signal level adaptation' stage because the software searches for the monitors.

I've had a very frustrating afternoon trying to get my system working with v1.3.3. I'd appreciate some help from @jj-wohlgemuth.

I found other issues with the system:

1. I set the front led power to 20% on my KH 80. This setting is not preserved when the monitor is restarted.
2. I set the input sensitivity to 80dB (from default of 100dB) I have no idea if this is preserved on reboot, unlikely given point 1. The LED level is annoying but sensitivity changing is pretty bad, so I'd like @jj-wohlgemuth to clarify this. EDIT have confirmed that the sensitivity is reset to 100dB!
3. With input sensitivity of 80dB one of my KH 80 went into standby with signal playing. This is a perennial issue with the KH 80. I have a fairly early pair of KH 80, is this a hardware issue or can it be resolved in firmware @jj-wohlgemuth? Once the speaker wakes up again, the custom led and sensitivity settings are gone!
4. I couldn't find a way to delete a Hardware Monitor Setup.

I originally used a Focusrite Solo but I'm now using my RME ADI-2 Pro FS R as the interface (with E-MU 0404USB as mic pre connected via SPDIF). I can't get any sound while at the 'Output signal level adaptation' stage, but I think that's down to my misconfiguration at this stage. I think I forgot to set the Digital Out Source to Main Out when I switched the mode to Class Compliant Multi-channel USB mode, I'll try this tomorrow.

I think there may be an issue with the software though, because even with no output the MA 1 software said it had set the levels and would allow me to proceed!

EDIT My mistake, I think there shouldn't be sound from the speakers at the 'Output signal level adaptation' stage and the first test signal is pink noise at the "Check Measurement Conditions" stage.

EDIT In the end I went back to v1.3.0 and redid the setup successfully. The monitors sound great when properly calibrated so no complaints on the sound quality, it's fantastic! Here's the result:

AlignedSystemResponse.PNG

The speakers are great, but the software isn't yet. I could not really recommend Neumann MA 1 without reservation as it stands. I've invested what is, for me, a significant amount of money in the system and it doesn't work properly. I had the same situation with the iPad app previously. I have faith that Neumann will get things right in the end, but it's been a frustrating journey so far. I've always had good support via email from Neumann directly, so I will persevere. I was considering upgrading to the KH 310 but I'm going to hold off for the time being.

Last edited:

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
In my opinion MA 1 is missing critical functionality which is to allow the saving and restoring of room corrections.

The software must also tell you when you are going to lose your room correction settings and allow you to revert. When my setup failed yesterday I now have a dodgy setup that sounds awful.

I'll be honest, it's a useability nightmare.

@jj-wohlgemuth is this functionality in the road map?

Top Bottom