• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New March Audio Ukkonen Speaker

samysound

March audio just announced a new floorstading speaker. No details or price listed as of yet but looks like a 8" purifi woofer with a SB waveguide Be tweeter and bottom slot port:

1681221845549.png

SDC

I don't like rubber nut approach of their bookshelf but have to admit the finish of this floorstand is astonishing.

Penelinfi

Are there any other speakers out there using the 8’ Purifi?
Toby speakers Narwhal
Salk Sound Be Pure 3
Some DIY builds

I'm hoping that due to the lack of (afaik) 4 passive radiators per pair, that the Ukkonen isn't too much more expensive for that big cabinet.
I do wonder about the crossover as that looks like the same SBA BeWg tweeter as used in the Sointuva.

Penelinfi

A temporary listing has appeared on their site;
$9k AUD
$6.2k USD
£4.4k

I want to know more of the technical info though :)

Reactions: 617

YSC

Major Contributor
looked nice! and if they don't have the QC issue of their Soutinova yet similarly performing I would say it's a great priced speaker with performance! looking into the review and data.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Got to hear ths at a show over the weekend.
Looks even better in the flesh.

Penelinfi

He updated some info on the Ukkonen page but then we will need to wait a little while for the measurements!

Also I noticed on their show demo speakers, that the Sointuva had the aluminium woofers instead of the paper ones.

I guess a new crossover too. Would be interesting to see if there is much difference between the two

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
why there is no picture from the back? hmmmmm
Is this ported or sealed?
Where is in the back?

JSmith

Master Contributor
why there is no picture from the back? hmmmmm
Is this ported or sealed?
Where is in the back?
Here;

1697092596118.png

See the passive radiator?
In the same way as a ported loudspeaker, a passive radiator system uses the sound pressure otherwise trapped in the enclosure to excite a resonance that makes it easier for the speaker system to create the deepest pitches (e.g., basslines). The passive radiator resonates at a frequency determined by its mass and the springiness (compliance) of the air in the enclosure. It is tuned to the specific enclosure by varying its mass (e.g., by adding weight to the cone). Internal air pressure produced by movements of the active driver cone moves the passive radiator cone. This resonance simultaneously reduces the amount that the woofer has to move.

JSmith

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why does it have a PR if it also has a slot port all the way at the bottom? Something doesn’t add up here.

Edit: The smaller speaker they sell clearly states a dual PR in the product description. Here we don’t see that. And coincidentally we see the exact same picture of the terminals and PR on the smaller models product page.
IMG_7158.jpeg

I think it’s safe to say that this is a reflex design, and by the looks of it with a highly compromised port.

Last edited:
OP
S

samysound

The sointuva uses passive radiators and does not have open ports. The ukknonen appears to be ported and does not have passive radiators. Looks like the ukkonen page has some pictures of the sointuva to show wood finish options which is cause for confusion.

Top Bottom