• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Magico M7 speakers

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel like klippel data destroys the air of mystique which sells these products.
I agree you'd just confuse the sales effort in a showroom. But I don't think it would hurt to have a PDF download available for the technically literate buyers.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I agree you'd just confuse the sales effort in a showroom. But I don't think it would hurt to have a PDF download available for the technically literate buyers.
Very tiny percentage.
Keith

aschen

Perhaps, I don't know. Even if you are retiring on $10mm, this is a pretty foolhardy purchase. It means your stereo cost about a year of pre-tax retirement income (given that a sustainable spend rate in 30 years of retirement should be around or below 4% before tax, see below)

Massive discount was part of the boundary condition assumptions, say 200k. If you have even 5 million in investment accounts and presumably minimal expenses and have some irrational love for giant expensive speakers it may be fine for you. Stretch as I said. 4.8 mil still leaves 200k living expenses at the ultra conservative 4% rule of thumb with no eating of principal. Not what I would do but whatever floats your boat.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

MrSoul4470

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ultra conservative 4% rule of thumb
Depends on your definition of “ultra conservative”. Take a look at the table in that article. Kind of gives one pause (And remember you’ll have to pay tax before you buy your Magico speakers).

1698867325843.png

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Paradigms from this series are famously top-heavy in frequency response. Seems like a design approach, not necessarily materials.
5F
918ParaP5Ffig3.jpg

3F

717parad.meas.jpg

3F again. I auditioned these, and found them really toppy and thin-sounding relative to KEFs that day. You can see why. My first impression was 'wow you can hear the bow sounds on strings', then 'wow, this is really annoying'.

Spin%2B-%2BParadigm%2BPersona%2B3F%2Braw.png

Again and again people say I have to listen to speakers to understand if I like them. But over time, I've learned that these kinds of deviation from linear response absolutely correspond to what you will hear. This is, I believe, a very low distortion speaker, so you could probably EQ the on-axis presentation to the right place, but you'd still have some dispersion anomalies. But why bother when you can do better for less? So I'd call this a speaker you can cross off simply based on measurements.

My experience demoing the Paradigm Persona speakers (when I was shopping for speakers a few years back) mirrors yours. Impressively clean sounding, but the highs were just too much over time and I found my ears getting fatigued. The measurements mirror just what I heard.

I remember hearing the Paradigm Persona 3Fs shortly after auditioning the Revel Performa 228be speakers. The Paradigms reminded me a lot of the sound of the Revels, but it was like taking the Revels and boosting the high frequencies. The Revels were just smoother and more neutral.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I would appreciate that very much.

Ok, but why are you reading the thread?

No offence intended, but for example there's a knife thread here and I posted in it (I was interested in kitchen knives) and someone started posting pictures with handguns, which I can do without ever thinking about, so I stopped reading the thread. I didn't criticise because the thread started on hunting knives, so I assume people are into that sort of thing.

I'm unlikely to buy over-engineered speakers like these, but I enjoy reading about them. Is not reading threads about things you aren't interested in not sufficient?

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I realise Focals aren’t everyone’s cup of tea but to get fired because you have a pair…
Keith
Employers are completely entitled to hold higher ethical standards than mere lawfulness

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Employers are completely entitled to hold higher ethical standards than mere lawfulness

So what was the story, was the CEO "fired" because they bought some speakers (not an employee, obviously but maybe kicked out by the BoD) or was their presence in the living room coincidental?

And if I bought some Focal speakers, why would that be my employer's business (a hypothetical if I had an employer, as it happens I'm not going to sack myself)?

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Screenshot_20231102_212702_Chrome.jpg

Virtual point source ?
Does it make any sense ?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 323267
Virtual point source ?
Does it make any sense ?
Not really. Maybe they mean they're something like LR4 and they get them into phase alignment. Which I'd say is simply normal competent procedure, but we've seen what other high-end speakers do.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A single driver isn't even a point source, much less six.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah. I'm eventually convinced they must spend serious money on engineering and quality.
You don't get the measured performance they have by the voodoo "by ear" techniques other high-end manufacturers seem to enjoy. If I was a mastering engineer, Magico would be on my short list.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
You don't get the measured performance they have by the voodoo "by ear" techniques other high-end manufacturers seem to enjoy. If I was a mastering engineer, Magico would be on my short list.
But they're more audiophile speakers than pro studio monitors
Not to mention that they're passive .

MKR

Major Contributor
Magico is very good, the A5 was on my end game short list for quite some time. But they were easily dethroned by the Salon 2, and for less money! Magico is over engineered with a price to match. But at least you are getting solid engineering. Of course I have since moved on from all the above, at this point it is active or bust ;)

Top Bottom