• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Value and luxury

D

Deleted member 48726

Well, don't have any car. Don't know what is luxury. Never will be in shop where Magico are for sell.

Surely the name is social class.

This website is where upper social class meet in comments the populus vulgaris simplex. Even my latin is wrong.
Don't be sad. I don't know latin so I googled it and came up with this. Still don't know what you meant.

1703856716797.png

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Don't be sad. I don't know latin so I googled it and came up with this. Still don't know what you meant.

View attachment 337922
You now, this is a joke. You can write anything finishing with vulgaris simplex, like designing some insects. Vulgaris is something very common and simplex adds some simplicity, again. Common and simple. Exactly the opposite of luxus and social differentiation.

You see the meaning, a proletarian posting about luxury.

D

Deleted member 48726

You now, this is a joke. You can write anything finishing with vulgaris simplex, like designing some insects. Vulgaris is something very common and simplex adds some simplicity, again. Common and simple. Exactly the opposite of luxus and social differentiation.

You see the meaning, a proletarian posting about luxury.
I didn't know and I don't mind. :)

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Because this is a audio related site ?
Some of us do roll our eyes at expensive purses and luxury cars, but in many cases such as a Ferrari, there is actual engineering which is measurable in the handling and top speed.
Luxury cars are not immune to scams either, but buyers don't pay attention to it and don't care. For Ferrari, connoisseurs know that they are among the least reliable cars that exist.. If not some examples;

cullinan-rebadge-x7-2.jpg

cullinan-rebadge-x7.jpg

The ROlls Royce Cullinan is ultimately just a rebadged BMW X7
Worst of all, the X7 is much more advanced in terms of infotainment, the Cullinan using the old BMW system

ghost.jpg

serie-7.jpg

If you want an older generation BMW 7 Series sold at a high price, the ROLLS Ghost is for you ... because with the chassis and running gear, it takes almost everything from the BMW.
urus-1(1).jpg

q8(2).jpg

volant-urus(1).jpg

volant-q8.jpg

The same thing with the Lamborghini URUS which is in fact a barely disguised AUDI Q8

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48726

Luxury cars are not immune to scams either, but buyers don't pay attention to it and don't care. For Ferrari, connoisseurs know that they are among the least reliable cars that exist.. If not some examples;

cullinan-rebadge-x7-2.jpg

cullinan-rebadge-x7.jpg

The ROlls Royce Cullinan is ultimately just a rebadged BMW X7
Worst of all, the X7 is much more advanced in terms of infotainment, the Cullinan using the old BMW system

ghost.jpg

serie-7.jpg

If you want an older generation BMW 7 Series sold at a high price, the ROLLS Ghost is for you ... because with the chassis and running gear, it takes almost everything from the BMW.
urus-1(1).jpg

q8(2).jpg

volant-urus(1).jpg

volant-q8.jpg

The same thing with the Lamborghini URUS which is in fact a barely disguised AUDI Q8
That's hardly a scam. It has been like that for the last fourtyfive to fifty years in the car industry. Jaguar using Ford Focus switches in the XJ220 etc.

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
That's hardly a scam. It has been like that for the last fourtyfive to fifty years in the car industry. Jaguar using Ford Focus switches in the XJ220 etc.
When you put more than 200K euros into a car, you expect to have some exclusive and unique choices, but this is not the case since many components come from mid-range or low-end cars..you I'm right, it's not a scam but it's deception and make-up.

D

Deleted member 48726

When you put more than 200K euros into a car, you expect to have some exclusive and unique choices, but this is not the case since many components come from mid-range or low-end cars..you I'm right, it's not a scam but it's deception and make-up.
I don't think so. All mechanical and electrical components are made of to to three manufacturers. But of course you expect the human to machine part to be different according to price. That's not always the case. Sometimes it's only the outer design that differs.
Skoda/VW/Audi/Lamborghini
Ford/Citroën/Peugeot/Vauxhall/Opel

BobbyTimmons

Because this is a audio related site ?
Some of us do roll our eyes at expensive purses and luxury cars, but in many cases such as a Ferrari, there is actual engineering which is measurable in the handling and top speed.

When expensive audio products actually produce superior measurements, we may roll our eye at the prices, but we respect the performance.
Except expensive audio products often have the same measurable performance improvements as luxury automobiles, which is that they are handmade, use different materials, look different.

If you wanted the best car you would get a Corolla. The difference with the luxury car is that it might be handmade and so on.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Again,luxury is not about the items.At all.
It's all about the power to buy them ang get to a small.exclusive club.

If they coincidental deliver (like Magicos do) so the better.

And that percentage of population is no small,16 million millionaires at this time globally and that does not include company buy offs which is the most common way to even write off such buys which otherwise would be payed in taxes.

Who's the fool now?

D

Deleted member 21219

Except expensive audio products often have the same measurable performance improvements as luxury automobiles, which is that they are handmade, use different materials, look different.

1) I don't equate hand-crafting, use of "different" materials, and different appearances as necessarily having any direct bearing on improvements in performance.
2) In audio products, tests and measurements bear this out; I have seen precious few hand-made luxury audio items that have performance that is better than average. In fact, if one takes into account the high prices of tube equipment, the performance is not even up to par, much less average.
3) I therefore reject the notion that expensive audio products have measurable performance improvements, or that they have those improvements very often. Older McIntosh and present-day Magico are exceptions, but exceptions prove the rule.
4) I don't often have any interest in examining luxury cars, but from what little I have seen, they are no longer "handcrafted". There are several posts in this thread which echo that opinion.

In essence, I'm saying that luxury items very rarely provide advanced performance ... in autos, in fashion accessories or in audio. I believe @Sokel may, perhaps, have some small insight into the situation.

More's the pity, but that's the way I see it.

Jim

TurtlePaul

Magicos are fine. A lot of audio products feature inverse scaling - expensive products are demonstrably worse than cheaper products at their main function. The classic analogy is watches where a $15k Rolex hold time worse than a $15 Casio. Human hearing is pretty bad, so you can convince yourself you are hearing whatever you want to hear cognitive bias takes over.

Sokel

Master Contributor
1I believe @Sokel may, perhaps, have some small insight into the situation.

Jim
Yep.
To say it simple,would anyone like to pay 500k tax or buy the Magicos/Mont Blanc pens/Vacheron Constantin/x instead?

It's literally free for some people.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep.
To say it simple,would anyone like to pay 500k tax or buy the Magicos/Mont Blanc pens/Vacheron Constantin/x instead?

It's literally free for some people.
Pal of mine has a huge VW crew-cab pick up truck for that very reason - he didn't want it (prefers sports cars) but his accountant told him to get it.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Pal of mine has a huge VW crew-cab pick up truck for that very reason - he didn't want it (prefers sports cars) but his accountant told him to get it.
Not so hard to imagine a PA,conference room system made of Magicos,only to be accidentally send to company's owner residence :)

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not so hard to imagine a PA,conference room system made of Magicos,only to be accidentally send to company's owner residence :)
I did ask him why he didn't put his Pioneer plasma TV down as an expense (works in I.T so in theory he could) but he wouldn't take the chance with HMRC. Got pots of money anyway so why risk it?

Top Bottom