• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Magico M7 speakers

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just using trendy or exotic materials won't help a poor design.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or a Baltic Birch cabinet and a front baffle made out of machined MDF that has been textured and painted to look like aluminum. No way to hear the difference.
Genelec uses aluminum for its cases and is at the high end of the competitive price range. They get a lot of love around here.

Bridges

Steinheim ?
Their ‘reference’ is only £20k.
I mean £200k so yes pretty reasonable compared to Magic0
Keith
Also a company called Piega even more reasonnable, I have an old pair of their collumn speakers, solidly built in aluminium, very heavy, no box resonance.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In an interview presentation of their 750K model, the owner of Magico stated that it is critical that the listener seat a ear level with the tweeter. I am not into omnidirectional speakers, but for that kind of money I would not accept rigid contraints.
OK. I guess you can strike them off your list, then.

Sokel

Master Contributor
In an interview presentation of their 750K model, the owner of Magico stated that it is critical that the listener seat a ear level with the tweeter. I am not into omnidirectional speakers, but for that kind of money I would not accept rigid contraints.
That's also something Amir advises us in speaker reviews,there's always some constrains maybe,except when you get something like the big B&Os' with their various modes or these strange Estelons with the moving (by remote! ) parts.

MAB

Major Contributor
Genelec uses aluminum for its cases and is at the high end of the competitive price range. They get a lot of love around here.
I own Genelec Ones and love them!
My comment was directed at Magico, who seem to be hell-bent on applying aluminum at all cost, even where it doesn't make sense.
How much Locktite does it take to build a Magico?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Magico has used laminated wood in their cabinets. I've made such speakers almost exactly like that. It is an excellent way to make a very stiff cabinet. I used layers of wood clamped by steel upper and lower plates with threaded rods thru them. Using simple hand tools you can make a complex surface with tons of internal bracing if you put your mind to it. While heavy, they weren't so heavy as making them with aluminum would have been.

1698007986109.png

Sokel

Master Contributor
My comment was directed at Magico, who seem to be hell-bent on applying aluminum at all cost, even where it doesn't make sense.
The absolute purpose of statement objects is that they disdain sense and logic,they must be beyond that.

They must also have to have a little flaw (doesn't matter what) so everyone else talks about this flaw despite the grandiose of the rest of the object.
Perfect won't do.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not much. I know for Genelec aluminum is fundamental to the design, at least the 3 way speakers with concealed woofers. Magico probably uses aluminum for product differentiation. Wilson uses a proprietary particle board. It must contain gold dust.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Aluminum is the minimum at this price range
MDF just doesn't cut it :)

What about Wilson's implementation using composites?

Also, Focal Utopia series are MDF (of similar) and if you happen to ship me a pair I reckon I'd keep them.

There is a Swiss firm who make their speaker in aluminiun casing and manage to keep prices realistic

And others no doubt. Krell's brief foray into speaker making used heavy aluminum cases iirc (at least for the top of the line, I think there was a non-aluminum series as well). Aluminum because Krell are US, I don't know how that metal compares with the real thing.

Magico's implementation is quite complex with many, many components. Not absolutely comparable from a cost-of-manufacture point-of-view. Edit: refresh before posting @Blumlein 88 has got this. They've also used other materials, like carbon-fibre in some non-rectangular models, not sure if current.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
I'm very surprised that no one until now mentioned KEF Muon since we talk about big aluminum boys.
Specially with all the good reputation KEF enjoys here.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Magico's implementation is quite complex with many, many components. Not absolutely comparable from a cost-of-manufacture point-of-view.
I think anything Magico is doing could be done less labor intensively, and with more cost effectiveness for the result with a cast enclosure or at a minimum cast sub-components. They use the CNC machined bracing and such as part of the cachet of their products when it doesn't add anything else.

I also think they could use metal composites like those used in some firearms for an effective more cost-reasonable result. As Sokel said however, that is actually against their brand value in the minds of buyers. This less efficient way is part of their allure.

Top Bottom