• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New JBL and Revel Speaker Lines

skypickle

has anyone compared the salon2 with the f328be for stereo listening? Is the soundstage of the 328be as full as the salon2?

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
has anyone compared the salon2 with the f328be for stereo listening? Is the soundstage of the 328be as full as the salon2?
What does this mean in normal language? Fuller as in more/deeper bass? Wider, more diffuse soundstage?

skypickle

What does this mean in normal language? Fuller as in more/deeper bass? Wider, more diffuse soundstage?

a sweet spot that is broader. So in other words as you move off axis, the image is still coherent and does not 'appear' to move towards the nearer speaker. Recently, Matt Poes from audioholics did a youtube series on explaining directionality/dispersion and how that plays into imaging. Although wide dispersion speakers seem to have a better off axis frequency response, the ability to project a localized image ('apparent source of the sound') is poorer than narrow dispersion speakers. When narrow dispersion speakers are toed in more than the wider dispersion units, the off axis drop-off of frequency response in spl is compensated by the decreasing distance of your ears to the speaker. This results in a fixed image tho you are off axis. Unfortunately, the devil is in the details. The actual roll off of the frequency, the distance and geometry of the speakers and the listener and as well as the presence of reflections affect the image. The salon2 (though 13 years old?) still has a remarkable performance compared to current speakers. The 328be uses a similar beryllium tweeter but has newer waveguides. So I am curious to know if anyone has heard these side by side. The clarity of the salon2 was beautiful when i heard it. ITs ability to fill a big room and 'disappear' while still projecting an image of the instruments was satisfying.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
a sweet spot that is broader. So in other words as you move off axis, the image is still coherent and does not 'appear' to move towards the nearer speaker. Recently, Matt Poes from audioholics did a youtube series on explaining directionality/dispersion and how that plays into imaging. Although wide dispersion speakers seem to have a better off axis frequency response, the ability to project a localized image ('apparent source of the sound') is poorer than narrow dispersion speakers. When narrow dispersion speakers are toed in more than the wider dispersion units, the off axis drop-off of frequency response in spl is compensated by the decreasing distance of your ears to the speaker. This results in a fixed image tho you are off axis. Unfortunately, the devil is in the details. The actual roll off of the frequency, the distance and geometry of the speakers and the listener and as well as the presence of reflections affect the image. The salon2 (though 13 years old?) still has a remarkable performance compared to current speakers. The 328be uses a similar beryllium tweeter but has newer waveguides. So I am curious to know if anyone has heard these side by side. The clarity of the salon2 was beautiful when i heard it. ITs ability to fill a big room and 'disappear' while still projecting an image of the instruments was satisfying.

I have Salon2s and 126Bes in different rooms.
The 26Bes are a clear improvement in treble, dispersion, and imaging over the Revel M20s that they replaced but do not disappear as well as the Ultima2s.

328Bes Specifications
Frequency response: 26Hz - 40kHz (-6dB)
Low-frequency extension: 24Hz (-10dB); 26Hz (-6dB); 35Hz (-3dB)
Nominal impedance:
8 ohms
Sensitivity: (2.83V/1m): 91 dB

Salon2s Specifications
Low Frequency Extension: -10 dB at 17 Hz -6 dB at 20 Hz -3 dB at 23 Hz
Nominal Impedance:
6 ohms (nominal) 3.7 ohms (minimum @ 90 Hz)
Sensitivity: 86.4 dB SPL with 2.83 V @ 1m (4 pi anechoic)

The 328Bes are much more efficient and also are not likely to be as low impedance.
The Salon2s have better bass response at -3 dB at 23 Hz versus 35 Hz for the 328Bes.
The Salon2s have down-firing port where the 328Bes has dual rear-firing ports which can have an effect on in-room response.

- Rich

skypickle

@Rich Thank you. So I imagine then that the 328be will have the same directionality as the 226be. How does the 226be compare to the salon2 w respect to imaging? Is the array of instruments/voices as clear when you close your eyes?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Rich Thank you. So I imagine then that the 328be will have the same directionality as the 226be. How does the 226be compare to the salon2 w respect to imaging? Is the array of instruments/voices as clear when you close your eyes?

I have no first hand experience so I cannot help you with that.

Salon2s, accept no substitute. :p

- Rich

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have purchased an F328Be for testing. It is a single unit though so I can't test stereo listening.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have purchased an F328Be for testing. It is a single unit though so I can't test stereo listening.
Do you plan on keeping it around? Seems to me it would make more sense to buy pairs then resell them. Also, do you plan on measuring your Salon 2 for comparison?

Thanks
Wayne

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe Mr. Rubinson visited Harman and compared the Salon2’s to the F228’s, and IIRC he said they were pretty close (granted, I doubt he can hear >10kHz :))

I find their differences a bit odd:
left: 228 , right: 328
Sensitivity: 90 vs 91
W/M crossover: 260Hz vs 240Hz
-3dB: 31Hz vs 35Hz
-6dB: 27Hz vs 26Hz
-10dB: 23Hz vs 24Hz

So, the main difference is it is 1dB more sensitive and the midrange plays a bit lower.

EDIT: https://www.stereophile.com/content/blind-listening-harman-international

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed. The major difference was at the low end. In stereo and sighted, I heard differences in the upper midrange. :)
I'm more interested in the differences between the F208 and the F228be. I'm wondering if that doubled price is worth it for a 67 yo like myself who no doubt shares your limitations re hearing high frequency tones (and overtones which is what everything over 10khz mostly consists of).

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sure, save the money and go back to mono. Stereo is just a fad anyway. :p

vavan

I find their differences a bit odd:
left: 228 , right: 328
Sensitivity: 90 vs 91
W/M crossover: 260Hz vs 240Hz
-3dB: 31Hz vs 35Hz
it was already discussed that revel lfe specs are somewhat misleading...

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I'm more interested in the differences between the F208 and the F228be. I'm wondering if that doubled price is worth it for a 67 yo like myself who no doubt shares your limitations re hearing high frequency tones (and overtones which is what everything over 10khz mostly consists of).
I cannot offer specific advice for that choice but I can tell you that after all my listening experiences with various Revel floorstanders in in Ultima and Performa range (includes at Harman in California, at the Harman store in NYC, at a friends house and at home), I bought Studio2s.

countbasey

And now it is possible to buy it for a very nice price, for instance from here.
What's the minimum distance between each speaker and to listening chair for the Salon2? Do they have coherence in a semi nearfield setup like an 8 feet triangle? tall ceilings and open behind the listing chair but i cannot move my seat back more.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I cannot offer specific advice for that choice but I can tell you that after all my listening experiences with various Revel floorstanders in in Ultima and Performa range (includes at Harman in California, at the Harman store in NYC, at a friends house and at home), I bought Studio2s.

Did you buy 5 of them?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Do you plan on keeping it around? Seems to me it would make more sense to buy pairs then resell them. Also, do you plan on measuring your Salon 2 for comparison?

Thanks
Wayne
I don't think I will keep them. As for reselling, I can get another one easily to pair with it. :) They are sold individually.

At some point I will measure the Salon 2. But not right now. When we can have our children over, then I will take a shot at moving and measuring the Salon 2.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At some point I will measure the Salon 2. But not right now. When we can have our children over, then I will take a shot at moving and measuring the Salon 2.
I feel sorry for you already. We already know your Klippel measures very close to the Harman data, so allow me to do all the heavy lifting and enlighten us all with what we all know and have seen plenty times before;

giphy.gif

Remarkable consistency between the decade difference measurements from Harman and also that of SoundStage.
http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers/revel_ultima_salon2/

Sorry I'm too stupid to scale it like BYRTT.

Top Bottom