• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New JBL and Revel Speaker Lines

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just caught this on the Audioholics youtube channel. Some very KOOL new speakers in the Revel BE Beryllium tweeter line.
I'm specially excited to see a new line of JBL HDI passive home speakers based on the latest tweeter wave guides used in the 705/708 pro speakers.
They are priced very attractively and also very handsome as opposed to the butt fugly pro lines.
Loving the stand mount JBL HDI-1600 at $1600 a pair, Could be some new children in Sal's future?
I hope to hear them at the Tampa show in Feb.
First half of the video covers the new Revels, the coverage of the JBLs starts right at the 8:20 mark.

JBL-1.jpg

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They’re probably getting rid of the 530, 560 and 590 to make way for these. I wonder how they would sound compared. I’m going to just take a wild guess and say inferior.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
They’re probably getting rid of the 530, 560 and 590 to make way for these. I wonder how they would sound compared. I’m going to just take a wild guess and say inferior.
My my, such a pessimist. The sound of the newer Image Control Waveguide on the 70X line has been very well received.
Time will tell I guess.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
They are dropping the Ultima Studio2 in favor of the F328Be, haven't heard of any other changes to the Revel line. Guessing they decided the "horn line" could compete in the HT market -- I tend to agree, and now they have a line that will fit into a living room with less squawking about black road cases and coffins (M2's still remind me of those...)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Just caught this on the Audioholics youtube channel. Some very KOOL new speakers in the Revel BE Beryllium tweeter line.
I'm specially excited to see a new line of JBL HDI passive home speakers based on the latest tweeter wave guides used in the 705/708 pro speakers.
They are priced very attractively and also very handsome as opposed to the butt fugly pro lines.
Loving the stand mount JBL HDI-1600 at $1600 a pair, Could be some new children in Sal's future?
First half of the video covers the new Revels, the coverage of the JBLs starts right at the 8:20 mark.

JBL-1.jpg

Ehhh?

Sal, I thought you were a "there is no replacement for displacement" kind of guy.....

Wombat

Master Contributor

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
My interpretation is this is Samsung management leveraging JBL Pro technology into a new line that is nowhere near as expensive as Everest. I wouldn't be surprised if the Salon 2 gets clubbed with the other Be speakers for marketing, especially if the Studio 2 is going away.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
They are dropping the Ultima Studio2 in favor of the F328Be, haven't heard of any other changes to the Revel line. Guessing they decided the "horn line" could compete in the HT market -- I tend to agree, and now they have a line that will fit into a living room with less squawking about black road cases and coffins (M2's still remind me of those...)

If the Studio 2 is being replaced by the 328be a similar replacement for the Salon 2 might not be far behind due to the similarity in construction and the titanium cone drivers.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
My interpretation is this is Samsung management leveraging JBL Pro technology into a new line that is nowhere near as expensive as Everest.
Agreed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Salon 2 gets clubbed with the other Be speakers for marketing, especially if the Studio 2 is going away.
I suspect so, as well. I see this in the simultaneous announcements that the Studio2 is discontinued due to the price overlap with the F328Be and that they are now out of stock of Studio2s. They say that there are Salon2s available...................but for how long? Are they still making them?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

JBL-1.jpg

Very interesting...
Those could actually go beside the screen, instead of behind it!

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Agreed.

I suspect so, as well. I see this in the simultaneous announcements that the Studio2 is discontinued due to the price overlap with the F328Be and that they are now out of stock of Studio2s. They say that there are Salon2s available...................but for how long? Are they still making them?

It wouldn't take a lot of Salon 2's in the warehouse to have months of supply. I suspect the 328Be is less costly to manufacture than the Studio 2 judging from the more conventional cabinet and ceramic coated aluminum cones vs titanium. The "Salon 3" will likely look like the F328Be with an extra driver under the tweeter. It's probably curtains for the rest of the Ultima2 series as well. Now, Revel needs to finish the aluminum drivers in the Performa3 series in a contrasting color. The black is kind of boring.

Aprude51

I'm a bit surprised at the pricing on the JBL speakers compared to Revel’s more “affordable” options. The smallest floor-standing JBL HDI is more expensive than the Revel f206 ($3800 vs $3500) and the standmount model costs more than the Concerta2 F35 ($1800 vs $1600).

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It wouldn't take a lot of Salon 2's in the warehouse to have months of supply.
Probably not but the issue is whether there will be any more.
I suspect the 328Be is less costly to manufacture than the Studio 2 judging from the more conventional cabinet and ceramic coated aluminum cones vs titanium.
No doubt and, imho, it looks it.
It's probably curtains for the rest of the Ultima2 series as well.
I suspect so (although I have nothing but speculation on that score).

retro

Probably not but the issue is whether there will be any more.
No doubt and, imho, it looks it.
I suspect so (although I have nothing but speculation on that score).
And I know they have said there is no Ultima 3 in development, but I don't believe them..:cool:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
@Kal Rubinson

Putting it all together, it may be the F328Be could be the top of the Revel line when the last of the Salon 2's are out of the warehouse. Let's hope it's worthy of the $16k they are asking for it even if it isn't as nicely built as the Ultima series

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
And I know they have said there is no Ultima 3 in development, but I don't believe them..:cool:
Off the top of my head: If there is an Ultima3 line, it will be radically different from what we are seeing in the Performa3 or the Ultima2.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Off the top of my head: If there is an Ultima3 line, it will be radically different from what we are seeing in the Performa3 or the Ultima2.

It would have to be, considering the pricing of the PerformaBe.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom