• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL HDI-1600 smaller alternative

firestart3r

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a smaller alternative for the JBL HDI-1600 (14.6x9.1x11.4 = 1502 in3).

I absolutly love the sound of those JBL in my dedicated listening room! I heard details I never heard before without being bright (looking at you BW 607 S2). Soundstage is big and instruments are very well seperated. Bass is present and clean (not boomy).

Unfortunatly, they are quite big visually and physically for my living room. :(

Do you have suggestions for well engineered and good sounding "smaller" speakers ? Iniatially I was looking at the Revel M16 but they are also quite big at 1421 in3. I also tested the Adam T5V (958 in3) that sounded GREAT but... they have no grill and are not very living room friendly visually.

Ideally my new speakers would not be bigger than KEF LS50s (7.9x11x10.3 = 1034 in3).

I tested those KEF LS50 a while back but found them.. meh. Nothing special other than having no bass !?
I also tested the Q150 (925 in3) and they seem to have a weird sounding resonance with some material... I didn't keep them.

FYI I'm upgrading from the PSB P5 (6.8x9.5x9.2 = 729 in3). I like them because they have bass boost + didn't have room for a subwoofer at my previous home. Now that I moved and have a corner loaded SVS sub, I'm looking for an upgrade for bookshelf speakers.

What do you think ? JBL Studio 620 ? Emotiva B2 + ? Others?

Thanks guys!

Edit: Maybe the RP-500M II would have more clarity than my P5? I tested the original version of the RP-500M and at the time chose the PSB because it had more bass...

Last edited:

Tom C

Major Contributor
specs on a 705P in inches:
10.56 x 5.94 x 10.80

so similar in size to LS50. requires XLR input, but saves the cost of adding a power amp. has some built in DSP, too.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Studio 620 is nice and small but I personally didn’t love it. I already sent mine to TMRAudio, so there should be a deal coming up if you are in the US.

For the size, it was great, but I preferred the pricier Onkyo speakers I compared against the 708P.

OP
F

firestart3r

specs on a 705P in inches:
10.56 x 5.94 x 10.80

so similar in size to LS50. requires XLR input, but saves the cost of adding a power amp. has some built in DSP, too.
Hello, thanks for your help. :) I already have an integrated I quite like. Also, I'm personally not a fan of the esthetics for the 705P :p

OP
F

firestart3r

Studio 620 is nice and small but I personally didn’t love it. I already sent mine to TMRAudio, so there should be a deal coming up if you are in the US.

For the size, it was great, but I preferred the pricier Onkyo speakers I compared against the 708P.
Thanks for your input. I'm in Canada :p

OP
F

firestart3r

JBL 4305p is the bestchoice
Same hi driver and horn. In a smaller enclosure with a big punch and all in one electronics
Nice suggestion thanks! I'll think about if I wanna sell my integrated amplifier...

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Tom C

Major Contributor
I’m getting the sense you’d like strong bass in a small package. Have you any chance of running whatever bookshelves offer a form factor pleasing to you, and adding a second sub? I’m assuming here, based on your comments, that you understand pretty well what makes a technically good speaker, and that you wouldn’t consider something for which measurements are not available, and would also exclude something that measured poorly.

Top Bottom