• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New JBL 4349 Speakers

Fonzombie

Hope it's not in bad taste to post this here, seems like the right place to do it. I currently have a pair of JBL 4349s for sale - new in the box. I ordered them because I had a set of 4365's stuck in customs and didn't think Id ever get them out (3 months it was insane) Literally the day my 4349s arrived my 4365s were delivered. So one set has to go. Im asking 6500 - feel free to reach out with any questions.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Hope it's not in bad taste to post this here, seems like the right place to do it. I currently have a pair of JBL 4349s for sale - new in the box. I ordered them because I had a set of 4365's stuck in customs and didn't think Id ever get them out (3 months it was insane) Literally the day my 4349s arrived my 4365s were delivered. So one set has to go. Im asking 6500 - feel free to reach out with any questions.

Perhaps 1 for sale posting was enough?

RdJesus

I hope these get measured soon. I am about to go put a deposit on them.

okok

about to pull the trigger but the review keeps delaying, properly not worth it

Valentin R

Patience is a virtue

their is some initial measurements from a German magazine and wile those look fine (not perfect) dynamics should be top notch

hope to read Amir findings.

subjective reviews have all been very positive of the ones i have read

Last edited:

Valentin R

Well as with other reviews hope this helps Amir as a reference
9C7741B0-CA76-4F17-9465-2E33F5FCD195.gif

Morla

Forum Donor
They do not seem very tall. The recommended stands tilt them backwards a bit. Wouldn't it be better to put them on something like this?

ovo_O1521300_0-small.jpg

Morla

Forum Donor
Looks much better to me to get that driver up to ear level with the JS-360? Too bad im in Europe

Valentin R

Surprisingly lumpy DI and FR curves, but mostly because of vertical dispersion anomalies it seems.
The horn/waveguide response is so smooth compared to other horns

As you say vertical dispersion seem to be troublesome but the horizontal looks top notch to me
I wonder if the 7 degree angle on the low stands helps in this matter
It shuerly will couple better the low bass boundary gain
Chris Hagen did the xo @ 1.5khz for a reason
In the scl-2 the xo for the same driver in a smaller 100 x100 waveguide is @ 1.3khz
So we know the D2 2415 can go lower

peanuts

its a 12" woofer, it will start to beam around 1200hz or so, the waveguide is much wider than that so you will see a collpase in the polars. 1.5kz is simply to high. a cheap econowave from diysg or similar is better than this offaxis.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They do not seem very tall. The recommended stands tilt them backwards a bit. Wouldn't it be better to put them on something like this?

ovo_O1521300_0-small.jpg

The tilt sometimes helps with a narrow vertical sweet spot. For example, the JBL L82 has a significant on-axis deviation if you are just a few degrees above the reference axis, and it was much better to be below the reference axis than above it.

index.php

(Note that my chosen reference axis was a little higher than what JBL used, so the difference might be exaggerated here, but still, the speaker is clearly better heard below the reference axis than above it).

The above-axis deviation isn't as audible as it looks because of room interaction, but still less than ideal. By tilting the speaker slightly, one makes it less likely to be caught in the "bad zone" of the speaker, such as when standing up.

It could also help control the floor and ceiling reflections, the former in particular, to make them a bit more friendly to a typical room. Often times lobing happens at very narrow angles, and just a small change in angle can be the difference between a large dip or a relatively smooth reflected sound .

Not necessarily the case here, but some possible reasons I noted with the L100 and L82 in particular. In my old apartment, where the couch was in the middle of the room, I always preferred having my speakers slightly lower than my listening position and angling upward so that I would have better sound when standing up.

Surprisingly lumpy DI and FR curves, but mostly because of vertical dispersion anomalies it seems.

Yeah, I appreciate that JBL has started to include horizontal DI curves. That one looks quite smooth so imaging will likely be strong. There might just be some slight tonal unevenness around 1kHz.

Smoothing is higher than I'd like to see though. Looks like 1/6 of an octave for some reason.

Last edited:

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Smoothing is higher than I'd like to see though. Looks like 1/6 of an octave for some reason.

Was about to post the same comment. 1/20th is probably a bit rough around the edges, from a visual pov, which wouldn't be surprising for a passive horn design such as this.

Morla

Forum Donor
so the general consensus on the jbl 4349 is..

Too expensive for what they can do?

Bigger brother 4367 or sister 4429 instead? S3900 is much different with its two 10inch woofers.. S4700 looks impressive 15 inch woofer like my Klipsch Forté Ⅲ. *sigh* just patiently waiting for a review.

Last edited:

deercreekaudio

Dealer
Deer Creek Audio is working on a custom stand for the JBL 4349
We are thinking of a 3° tilt and a front height of 8"
We would like to hear your ideas.
type A.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom