• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New IOTAVX 17-Channel Home-Cinema AV Processor

Technomania

Forum Donor
That's why I think av pre should be audio only, like older ones you used coaxial from dvd to av pre, then s-video or component from dvd to TV...if you upgrade tv to component what the av pre has or hasn't got for video doesn't make a difference
It does not work like that anymore in modern entertainment based on TV or PC, as digital lossless audio must be carried via either HDMI or DisplayPort. Other digital connectors do not have enough bandwidth for lossless audio. Video can be set for pass-through only and then there is minimal processing, to extract audio only.

Jbrunwa

It does not work like that anymore in modern entertainment based on TV or PC, as digital lossless audio must be carried via either HDMI or DisplayPort. Other digital connectors do not have enough bandwidth for lossless audio. Video can be set for pass-through only and then there is minimal processing, to extract audio only.
Correct. My Panasonic blu-ray player has a second audio-only HDMI output. This makes it possible to send video to a tv and lossless audio to a prepro. The optical out doesn’t pass lossless.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I bought the tonewinner at-300 unheard and without measurements. It's a good AV pre.

As for "that price" it's a bargain at that price.
For the price and a gamble, I can understand that compared to what's out here.

Aron3000

Hi there, how does IOTAVX 17 compare to Anthems, Nads, Arcams and Denon 4700 & 6700 on pre amp mode. Many thanks.

lee-m

I've been toying with getting either the IOTAVX 17 or the Tonewinner. Both very similar but the IOTAVX 17 does offer the extra xlr sub outs with individual eq for each one, as well as the pc usb input which would allow the processor to be used like an audio interface/sound card and allow even more flexibility. So possible it may be worth the extra £200 just for those features. For the Tonewinner you don't get the usb input and would need an external minidsp or similar for more than 2 subs to eq them separately which would bring it up to a similar price.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been toying with getting either the IOTAVX 17 or the Tonewinner. Both very similar but the IOTAVX 17 does offer the extra xlr sub outs with individual eq for each one, as well as the pc usb input which would allow the processor to be used like an audio interface/sound card and allow even more flexibility. So possible it may be worth the extra £200 just for those features. For the Tonewinner you don't get the usb input and would need an external minidsp or similar for more than 2 subs to eq them separately which would bring it up to a similar price.
I don’t really see the appeal here vs something like a Denon x3700 or if you waited for the x3800. With the X3800 I believe you get 4 independent sub outputs and sounds like you can either stick with Audyssey or upgrade to Dirac. And you can use all, some, or none of the included amps. In addition you get a ton of features and stability.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
I don’t really see the appeal here vs something like a Denon x3700 or if you waited for the x3800. With the X3800 I believe you get 4 independent sub outputs and sounds like you can either stick with Audyssey or upgrade to Dirac. And you can use all, some, or none of the included amps. In addition you get a ton of features and stability.
And room correction.
This is necessary for a multi channel processor, to get automatic delay, signal power and EQ matching.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, some time ago I emailed Iota asking if they planned to add Auro. The response was a little unusual: "no, it is too unstable of a platform."

I didn't follow up because, for me, no Auro is a deal breaker but YMMV

lee-m

As i'm currently making do with an old Nad processor, i kinda wanted to stick to the pre-pro thing as I have enough external amplification and wanted balanced xlr for my amps without having to spend an extra £2k for an Anthem or similar. So yes being a cheapskate it did look like an option but yes it does lack a lot of the nice features those Denon's have especially the x3800 so I will keep an eye on that one too.

rccarguy

And room correction.
This is necessary for a multi channel processor, to get automatic delay, signal power and EQ matching.

Apart from the awful auto room EQ with the tonewinner, it's a good AV pre (for the money)

I already have amplifiers, I wouldn't want them to be idling when I'm always using off board.

OP
BDE

BDE

BTW: Iotavx also offers new amplifiers:

rccarguy

I don't know about Iota but Tonewinner have been releasing firmwares frequently. Some may be buggier than others but at least there is updates and choice of firmware, if you stick to a good one. I've ensure firmware updates are as often as Tonewinner, do Iota program the firmware themselves, or do they rely on Tonewinner to release a version of the Iota varient, if so is it less frequent? It's not like it's exactly the same where you could risk cross flashing.

Yes the Iota does have four sub outs, XLR also, the AT-300 only has three and only one is XLR (I have two XLR subs) so that's a bit of a bug bear.

AT-300 does have USB input, I've not tried it. It does show up on inputs though. At the time the AT-300 was £1050, it's gone up in price, and the Iota is £1500 (currently you get 10% discount with a discount code if you put it in basket)

The AT-300 three outputs are seperate in level and delay. It's a summed EQ though- rather than showing RTA of individual subs and summed output. Either way the Tonewinner EQ is rubbish so I'm not too fussed about that.

£1500 is getting a little expensive though, as you can start getting second hand AV pres from the big brands, maybe previous gen but at least better room EQ.

For the price I paid £1050 I'm happy, but I wouldn't be paying £1500 or so for it. It's very basic with limited customisation and with crap room EQ.

rccarguy

Ok the AT-300 has one mini USB connector, for PC audio.
The Iota has two USB connector. One is for firmware updates (like the front panel AT-300) and the other is USB audio.

They're the same, just different connector type and locations.

The Iota has a extension port which is for bluetooth, so I guess as new BT versions come out this may be better idea. The Tonewinner has BT built in already.

Aron3000

Hi there everyone, so what does the IOTAVX AVX17 exactly sound like can anyone compare it to Denon 4700 or lets say Marantz pre pro or even Anthems or Arcams. And also how is the music quality when streaming via bluetooth adaptor.

rccarguy

Hi there everyone, so what does the IOTAVX AVX17 exactly sound like can anyone compare it to Denon 4700 or lets say Marantz pre pro or even Anthems or Arcams. And also how is the music quality when streaming via bluetooth adaptor.

Ask that question on avforum, there's one guy whos got the Tonewinner AT-300 and Anthem AVM

morpheusX

Without EQ, they should sound exactly the same.

I had an Arcam AVR350, and later a pre-pro Emotiva UMC-200, and without EQ, i wouldn't be able to distinguish one from the other.

When using the UMC-200 PEQ capabilities with the help of REW, the UMC-200 would sound better than the Arcam.

Given that the Denon/Marantz have Audyssey xt32, Anthem ARC and Arcam Dirac, they should be able to sound better than the IOTAVX.
The IOTAVX has PEQ, so theoretically you could make it sound almost as good as the other EQ systems, but it would envolve much more work.

Top Bottom