• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New IOTAVX 17-Channel Home-Cinema AV Processor

BDE

Hi all,

I just came across the new IOTAVX 17-Channel Home-Cinema AV Processor (1799 EUR):
iotavx-avx17-1-2-sJDa.jpg

iotavx-avx17-1-3-asTr.jpg

All details -> https://www.iotavx.co.uk/IOTAVX-AVX17.html

Unfortunately it seems to be that room calibration system is not up to date, but it has quite a number of PEQ`s for manual adjustments. Eleven EQs are available for the front speakers and center, seven for each of the other speakers and five for each of the subwoofers (4 individual subwoofer outputs). So with it XLR connectors it could be a perfect match for a big 3D sound setup with active speakers. For LCR a Genelec GLM or Neumann MA-1 could solve the issue with the automatic room calibration..

Am I the only one who would like to see a review of this unit or maybe from the "older" one AVX1 (7.1)? Does someone have already experience with the AVX1 and/ or IOTAVX?

BTW: At least the AVX1 and there amplifier are manufactured by Tonewinner http://www.tonewinner.com/english/; maybe the new one also e.g. http://www.tonewinner.com/goods.php?id=844

Best regards

Last edited:

zuli

Forum Donor
Nice, but arrival is expected at autumn 2021 :(

OP
BDE

BDE

According to the webpage, the AVX17 will support:
Dolby Atmos™, DTS:X, Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Pro Logic IIx/z, Dolby Vision, DTS, DTS HD Master Audio, DTS Neo:6, S/PDIF, Multichannel PCM digital audio.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Vasr

Major Contributor
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know that IOTAVX also has a 7 channel processor IOTAVX AVX1 for 700 pounds or about 950 usd.
A pity it apparently only supports ARC and not eARC, but it is OK for the price.

Based on Cirrus Logic CS42528 chip, THD+N -100dB only.

See
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...he-rise-of-audio-negociants.14384/post-443543

for the genealogy of this unit.

Hi all,

I just came across the new IOTAVX 17-Channel Home-Cinema AV Processor (1799 EUR):

Unfortunately it seems to be that room calibration system is not up to date, but it has quite a number of PEQ`s for manual adjustments. Eleven EQs are available for the front speakers and center, seven for each of the other speakers and five for each of the subwoofers (4 individual subwoofer outputs). So with it XLR connectors it could be a perfect match for a big 3D sound setup with active speakers. For LCR a Genelec GLM or Neumann MA-1 could solve the issue with the automatic room calibration..

Am I the only one who would like to see a review of this unit or maybe from the "older" one AVX1 (7.1)? Does someone have already experience with the AVX1 and/ or IOTAVX?

The specs look like what Outlaw had announced several years ago as a next tier up from their Outlaw 976 to be priced at $1700 but they seem to have quietly abandoned it. These kinds of units don't sell all that well.

I expect Emotiva to announce a sister version of this as an update to their MC-700 which is the inside-equivalent of the IOTAVX 7.1 (but without the XLR).

The room eq is home grown by whoever is the ODM of these units and not very good in auto eq mode if they are using the same ODM as the 4K 7.1 version. The same chips, firmware, features as the IOTAVX 7.1 version were in the NuForce AVP-18. @Kal Rubinson reviewed the AVP-18 long time ago and found serious problems with the auto set up. My attempts to do auto EQ with the AVP-18 weren't as bad but very poor compared to even manual REW. The generated filters were extremely conservative and didn't do much to correct much of anything.

The problem I found with manual use of the PEQ (other than the really poor UI design which reminds you of DOS days) is that the center frequency for the filters specification can only be done via up and down keys on the remote and they seemed to jump in some logarithmic scale. Since there is no documentation, I found no way to fine tune the frequencies to the ones actually generated by REW. Taking the nearest frequency available and testing with EAPO on a PC running the actual REW filters, the results from the unit were not good at all.

The crossover does work very well.

The Cirrus Logic DAC is competent but not SOTA by any means. The SINAD will probably be in the low-mid 90s overall. But it should be more than enough for most people.

The biggest advantage is the form factor by getting rid of the analog input jungle.

Compare this to the more than 2x priced 11.2 channel McIntosh MX 100 (OEMed from Marantz I think with Audyssey for room eq).

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no problem with the innards being OEM from China or whatever. As long as it works, measures reasonably well, is reliable and the price is great, I am interested.

Vasr

Major Contributor
I have no problem with the innards being OEM from China or whatever.

I don't think anyone is saying it is.

But, personally, I do have a problem with the "market-speak" of IOTAVX in how they represent their ODMed (different from OEM) products especially when the same boxes are being white-labeled by others. But marketing is a gray area. One man's PR is another man's lie and so very subjective.

What is important about the unit though is what is in it and what one can expect from it with complete information above and beyond the marketing brochures (along with measurements if possible). When information is scant, identifying the same boxes white-labeled elsewhere may surface additional information to evaluate.

MASKINEN

When I spoke to the owner of that company last year he said that the XLR outputs was truly balanced. At least what I can remember so would need to confirm that. If true it would probably be the lowest cost of a pre pro with truly balanced out.

Vasr

Major Contributor
The site looks like a going-out-of-business web site to me at the moment. Might be the pandemic related supply disruptions and temporary.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Soooooo, in light of this company's awful customer service, changing website and generally unavailable products, it looks like the Denon X series is still the way to go if you need a processor between $1-2k?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Soooooo, in light of this company's awful customer service, changing website and generally unavailable products, it looks like the Denon X series is still the way to go if you need a processor between $1-2k?
Denon has no dedicated processor (pre-amp outputs only), they have only AVRs (both pre-outs and speaker outs). Marantz does have processors, their models starting with AV.

I already asked @JohnYang1997 for Topping to enter the AV processor market, with pre-outs only no speaker outs. Fingers crossed here.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Denon has no dedicated processor (pre-amp outputs only), they have only AVRs (both pre-outs and speaker outs). Marantz does have processors, their models starting with AV.

I already asked @JohnYang1997 for Topping to enter the AV processor market, with pre-outs only no speaker outs. Fingers crossed here.

I think it's kind of silly not to consider Denon's AVR's "Processors", since their measured performance is at or above most other "Processors" tested here, and since so many people use the pre-outs on their X-Series AVR for that exact purpose. Just pretend the amps aren't there..

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's kind of silly not to consider Denon's AVR's "Processors", since their measured performance is at or above most other "Processors" tested here, and since so many people use the pre-outs on their X-Series AVR for that exact purpose. Just pretend the amps aren't there..
While I agree with you, I would really like to see XLR outs... I would totally buy one.

Top Bottom