• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Genelec monitors / speakers

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm a bit disappointed that this isn't in a 63xx config, for use with GLM.

mkt

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
but home theater use floorstanding as a mains

Bookshelf/Small speakers(for all channels) + sub(usually just 1) are far more common for HT and overall than towers from what I see. Maybe if you limit it to just "audiophiles" that listen to strictly music, that might be close? Even then, I think bookshelfs might be more common. Last part I'm not really sure, but that's the sense I get from reading most of the "looking for recommendations" threads on here an AVS. Most seem to end up getting just bookshelfs or bookshelfs and a sub.

It's a shame, but towers are definitely a rarity today. Personally, I tend to prefer towers, since it takes up equal space to bookshelf + stand, and I prefer the aesthetic . Bookshelf + sub(s) will outperform towers, though, so I get the appeal. Towers + subs is even better, though :cool:.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Bookshelf/Small speakers(for all channels) + sub(usually just 1) are far more common for HT and overall than towers from what I see. Maybe if you limit it to just "audiophiles" that listen to strictly music, that might be close? Even then, I think bookshelfs might be more common. Last part I'm not really sure, but that's the sense I get from reading most of the "looking for recommendations" threads on here an AVS. Most seem to end up getting just bookshelfs or bookshelfs and a sub.

It's a shame, but towers are definitely a rarity today. Personally, I tend to prefer towers, since it takes up equal space to bookshelf + stand, and I prefer the aesthetic . Bookshelf + sub(s) will outperform towers, though, so I get the appeal. Towers + subs is even better, though :cool:.
Hmm i don't know, i think it depend a lot of the country, the enviroment, personal experience, etc.. in my experience i have seen more setup of floorstanding+subs in HT, a lot of Klipsch and svs :)
But companies still make towers which is nice, i prefer mid size towers plus subs than bookshelves plus subs :), for an aesthetic thing and free performance

Newman

Major Contributor
1632877962590.jpeg
Fingers crossed that photo is not it. I do not like that stand!

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope this somehow leads to more floorstanding models. Also, if it's a floorstander, why not use the space between the woofer/ground for extra volume and woofers?
My guess is shipping costs, though @thewas is right that there may be size limits to what their facilities (or contractors) can cast as well. Finland is far away from most of their markets. Shipping costs for tower speakers are much higher than for a standmount/pole/base.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a shame, but towers are definitely a rarity today. Personally, I tend to prefer towers, since it takes up equal space to bookshelf + stand, and I prefer the aesthetic .

It's also a cost thing, floorstanders are often way more expensive. For example, I often tell people to go with Kef for home theatre, and the R7 is twice the price of the R3. The R5 is arguably not even an upgrade and it's 50% more!

And when you consider that your practical output will be limited by your center, and (crazy giant Revel centers aside) that is closer to a bookshelf, floorstanders rarely make sense from a cost perspective.

For a pure stereo system it's definitely a bit different, but it's so rare that people are buying for "stereo listening rooms" these days, I don't know any in real life. If they DO have a stereo system, it's generally a record player on a component stand and they typically just want a couple small bookshelves for that as well.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Its studio/pro section with a good money for value, look at the Hifi section what aluminium floorstanders like Magico cost. ;)
But not all are that expensive, look at this coaxial ribbon aluminum tower
coax_511_silver_1.png

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is though made from a simple extruded aluminium profile and not a complicated 3d cast form like the Genelec ones.

YSC

Major Contributor
somehow it looks funny to my taste... really looks like some self defense weapon in disguise

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I wasn't able to find measurements of this exact speaker, but Stereophile measured a couple of their other speakers, the C8 LTD(which seems like an older version of this coaxial ribbon design) and the 701 Wireless (which is lower end, but not cheap at ~€5300). Neither are very good.

A fancy aluminum cabinet is only a good thing if it helps performance.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wasn't able to find measurements of this exact speaker, but Stereophile measured a couple of their other speakers, the C8 LTD(which seems like an older version of this coaxial ribbon design) and the 701 Wireless(which is a lower end, but not cheap at ~€5300. Neither are very good.

A fancy aluminum cabinet is only a good thing if it helps performance.
Indeed:
Pc8fig6.jpg

Why did they even bother with a coax?
The cheaper one is quite a bit better though:
720P701fig4.jpg

Top Bottom