• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Have Genelec speakers been used in large dub stages?

Kain

Have any Genelec speakers been used in large dub stages? Or are they not that kind of speaker? Could some of the large speakers from the Main Monitors line be used in such an application?

Last edited:

Ellebob

Forum Donor
There might be some with Genelec's main monitors in a smaller dubbing/mastering studio but definitely not their regular monitors for home or recording studios. They wouldn't have enough output.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Most rerecord stages use something resembling a cinema system that can get massively loud - think JBL, Meyer, that kind of thing. Not sure I know of any Genelecs with the kind of sheer SPL other than the 8381 you'd need for LCR.

They certainly get used in smaller spaces though.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Some of Genelec's main monitors like the 1236 would compete with some of the cinema models from JBL and others for SPL. I don't know of any theaters or dubbing stages offhand using them and more likely in Europe than the US.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Way too expensive I suppose for that use. Those venues don’t need that level of quality they need quantity.

I have seen them in distributed systems at various NYC bars though. That new restaurant in grand central is all Genelec.

Top Bottom