• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New ASR logo proposal

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Literally?

So, do you mean to say that the meaning of the Yamaha logo is three tuning forks?
In 1898, one year after the establishment of Nippon Gakki Co., Ltd., forerunner of today's Yamaha Corporation, the Company decided to use a tuning fork as the corporate mark, and a design featuring a "Chinese phoenix holding a tuning fork in its mouth" as the trademark. After undergoing a variety of changes paralleling the growth of the Company, the tuning fork mark and the Yamaha Logo was finally standardized.
See: https://www.yamaha.com/en/about/his...8, one year after,its mouth" as the trademark.

Golf

Well, what icons or symbols a logo is made of is not equal to its meaning.

Hiten

Logos from first letters A S R is what is called 'ligature' . Not a logo in strictest sense. Old Yamaha does have tuning fork. So does Old Pioneer logo with tuning fork and ohm symbol. Fisher, Linn are very clean easy to understand logos. Once I had Philips Red and Silver metal decal logo, which was beautiful.

Single intial can also be used.
example

One can discard the concept of logo itself and make way for custom font design like sterophile (just for sake of giving example). Most owners are reluctant to change the design as they are suitably well exposed to the public.

Regards

OP
Chagall

Chagall

Forum Donor
Logos from first letters A S R is what is called 'ligature' . Not a logo in strictest sense. Old Yamaha does have tuning fork. So does Old Pioneer logo with tuning fork and ohm symbol. Fisher, Linn are very clean easy to understand logos. Once I had Philips Red and Silver metal decal logo, which was beautiful.

Yes, in the sense the letters are close together it could be called a ligature. But usually in print, ligature refers to combining two letters, for example æ, fl, fi, tt. Not exclusively initial letters.

Logos from the initial letter are called initialisms or more commonly abbreviations. BBC, IBM, CNN, BMW

OP
Chagall

Chagall

Forum Donor
Some very preliminary simplification of the current logo. I haven't done any research, so something similar may exist already and would need to be changed.

V4.png

Larger sizes are just to see better, Draft logos are the exact display size while watching on desktop.

Is it too much for you guys? Sheep got lost, that's for sure.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some very preliminary simplification of the current logo. I haven't done any research, so something similar may exist already and would need to be changed.

View attachment 348667

Larger sizes are just to see better, Draft logos are the exact display size while watching on desktop.

I like the sheep but if it's going to change then I do like what you've done there.

Hiten

1707572016455.png

I like these two. Bottom one can be flipped vertically so center imagge looks like A. Three Small dots can be converted to somethnig meaningful...
...like electrons or speech balloon etc. ?
regds.

Last edited:

Esprit

Forum Donor

View attachment 348667

I'm a boomer and I see something else in it :cool:
5D0B05A0-4874-488E-ABA7-B10F05FCF9AB.jpeg

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is what my AI tool suggested:

Attachments

• IMG_1137.jpeg
    IMG_1137.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1138.jpeg
    IMG_1138.jpeg
    806.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1139.jpeg
    IMG_1139.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1143.jpeg
    IMG_1143.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 38

Golf

View attachment 348667

How about widening the sectors of SCIENCE and REVIEW, as they have to host more characters than the AUDIO sector? And flipping the words, too – for better legibility? :cool:

1707580142691.png

Rewind67

Hi—I’m also an art director (25+ years), and have worked on corporate branding for large (global) companies.

I didn’t get through this entire thread yet (will get back to reading after this) so forgive me if this has already been pointed out, but: design will never please everybody.

If you try to make everyone “happy”, nobody will be happy with the generic or incoherent results. This is why corporate branding isn’t a free-for-all asking everyone in the company to pitch in their two cents.

I appreciate the initiative, spirit, and skill of the OP. The proposals are certainly contemporary-looking work. It’s the client-approval path that seems off the rails to me. Ultimately the client is Amir. Pitching this to him by PM would have been more efficient.

I enjoyed the comment that drew an analogy between engineering and design. Both are problem-solving, but each in their own sphere of reference.

Design is fundamentally subjective, so it’s interesting to see it discussed in a forum that’s devoted to objective analysis.

OP
Chagall

Chagall

Forum Donor
How about widening the sectors of SCIENCE and REVIEW, as they have to host more characters than the AUDIO sector? And flipping the words, too – for better legibility? :cool:

View attachment 348704

1707585707657.png
1707585948136.png

Sure, but the legibility is the problem in both cases. I wouldn't widen "science" and "review" - all three parts are equally important:)

OP
Chagall

Chagall

Forum Donor
Hi—I’m also an art director (25+ years), and have worked on corporate branding for large (global) companies.

I didn’t get through this entire thread yet (will get back to reading after this) so forgive me if this has already been pointed out, but: design will never please everybody.

If you try to make everyone “happy”, nobody will be happy with the generic or incoherent results. This is why corporate branding isn’t a free-for-all asking everyone in the company to pitch in their two cents.

I appreciate the initiative, spirit, and skill of the OP. The proposals are certainly contemporary-looking work. It’s the client-approval path that seems off the rails to me. Ultimately the client is Amir. Pitching this to him by PM would have been more efficient.

I enjoyed the comment that drew an analogy between engineering and design. Both are problem-solving, but each in their own sphere of reference.

Design is fundamentally subjective, so it’s interesting to see it discussed in a forum that’s devoted to objective analysis.

Of course, you are right if this was a pitch. Agency pitching rebranding to a telecom company by asking their users what they think would be mental:)

But this isn't the case here, it's not about efficiency, and it's not about if anything changes in the end. It's more about the process than the result and having a few laughs in the meantime:) Amir can certainly gain some insight into what people think, and that also isn't something to discard.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Nice work! It's a little too "edgy" and car logo style for my tastes. It doesn't really convey much about the theme and ethos of site.. but the current logo doesn't really either, so I'm glad someone is using their art skills for something!

Golf

OK – here’s something super simple and abstract.

Among the three color variants in the second line there’s even a Make America Great Again version: the one on the right :D

PS: We must never show this to Deutsche Bank, of course :cool:

1707596560002.png

Top Bottom