• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann NDH 30 Review

Cuckoo Studio

Reviewer
vlcsnap-2023-05-06-11h46m28s290.jpg

Welcome to Cuckoo Studio review. I'm Anzol, The following content is presented from the perspective of a mixing engineer.

If you prefer video version:

We have received the NDH 30 sent by Neumann and let's take a comprehensive look at its performance.

vlcsnap-2023-05-06-11h45m15s435.jpg
vlcsnap-2023-05-06-11h45m29s030.jpg

The NDH 30 is an open-back over-ear headphone, and its overall design is almost identical to the NDH 20. The main body is silver-white, with black headband and ear cups, and is made of spring steel and aluminum, which gives it a high-quality feel.

r/headphones - Neumann NDH 30 Review | Important Member Of High End Monitoring Headphones

r/headphones - Neumann NDH 30 Review | Important Member Of High End Monitoring Headphones

It also features a replaceable cable design, with a cable that is the same as the one that comes with the NDH 20.

Without the cable, it weighs about 366g.

The Neumann logos on both sides are embossed, and the LR markings are on the inside. The front side also has the words "Neumann-Berlin Studio Headphones-NDH 30".

The most significant difference from the NDH 20 is the pure black metal open-back grille, which feels very sturdy.

The NDH 30's headband has a dual-axis design that provides a flexible fit for different head shapes. Its foldable design also adds to its portability, making it convenient for mixing engineers and musicians to use when working outside.

Let's take a look at its sound performance.
Frequency Response: Using Harman 2013 as the standard, the overall flatness of the NDH 30 is quite good, with a slight attenuation around 2KHz, with an amplitude of about 3dB. At around 4KHz, there is a gain of about 4dB. There is some attenuation in the airiness frequency range above 10KHz. This is a pair of headphones with overall flat but adds extra warmth.

Distortion: The NDH 30 has excellent low distortion performance. Under normal listening sound pressure levels, all harmonic distortions above 200Hz are far below the measurement environment noise floor and are not noticeable to the human ear. The second harmonic distortion of low frequency is also controlled to within -50dB. The third harmonic only has a slight gain in the low frequency range. As the sound pressure level gradually increases, the mid-to-high frequency still maintains a very good level, even lower than some headphones' distortion under normal sound pressure levels. The low frequency is also very rare in maintaining a low level. The distortion on both the left and right sides is highly consistent, with no quality control problems.

Now let's enter the Cuckoo Studio mixing space. The NDH 30's attenuation in the high-frequency range reduces the volume of high-frequency harmonics of percussions and instruments. The absolute flatness from low to mid frequencies positions all major instruments correctly, with only an increase in warmth compared to ideal playback. The NDH 30 maintains high consistency in both ears' sound level differences, with unbiased playback and a solid central image. (I noticed that earlier versions had noticeable bias in the data, but it doesn't seem to be present in the set I received, I guess that Neumann has fixed the issue.) The low distortion and unbiased characteristics make the NDH 30's playback clear, three-dimensional, without any coloration or smearing in the mid-to-high frequency range. Ignoring the parameters, the NDH 30 is a reference-level accuracy headphone without any equalization tuning.

front gif small.gif
side gif small.gif

It is a pair of headphones that emphasizes on monitoring low to mid-frequency details. It has a full mid-frequency stereo feeling and just the right amount of dynamics. As someone with a high-frequency sensitive physique, I don't easily feel ear fatigue even after long hours of work.

NDH 30 is an important player in the high-end headphone monitoring line. With its excellent sound playback quality, it adds a reliable and trustworthy work tool to professional scenes.

This is Cuckoo Studio review. Please stay tuned. I will continue to explore the secret of headphones with you.

Spyart

It measures something like 560s and also People talk they share similar driver...

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Fregly

Is that spike at around 4k the cause of some saying these are analytical? And the trough in the sensitive ear region does not bode well.

Vitali

It's been confirmed that they share the same diaphragm by the Sennheiser audiophile product manager (link).
"Only the diaphragm is similar, otherwise it's a different tuning and ultimately a different driver."

Spyart

However Sennheiser still really can make money from the legend. Looks familiar (name similar) right? Even wobblier a bit at HF

Attachments

• 2023-05-07_19-25-11.png
    2023-05-07_19-25-11.png
    40 KB · Views: 640
  • 2023-05-07_19-25-22.png
    2023-05-07_19-25-22.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 699
D

Deleted member 60987

What an odd pattern in the highs. They make the best microphones in the world, but I can't say what their headphones sound like.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Above 8kHz you really cannot say anything about the treble when measured on a HATS.
The measurement itself may well be 'correct' on average. It is the target that is completely wrong (way too much smoothed it should be all bumpy above a few kHz with peaks and dips and not smoothed) and measurements are always to a target.
Get the target wrong and the result (measurement - target) is wrong.

The driver is based on the HD560S driver (membrane tech) but has very different rear damping (both magnet and diaphragm damping), different baffle, different pads, different driver angle and positioning.

The 'dip' around 2.5kHz makes the sound a bit more 'relaxed' and is also present in the HD660S(2). The narrow peak around 4kHz somewhat 'undoes' the clarity 'dip' a little.
Seems to be a crossing between HD560S (in the lows-mids) and HD660S2 in upper mids and treble as well as distortion.

A better build HD560S with more room for the ears, heavier in weight and not as bright as the HD560S and with the treble smoothness of the HD660S2 would not be a bad thing.
Price is close to that of the HD660S2 and around € 600.-

Last edited:

Arnas

I had hd 8 dj quite some time ago it had excatly same headband padding...
Comfort was "EXTREMELY BAD"
Who in their mind think that this is good padding?

TomW

Hi @Cuckoo Studio thanks for this very nice review!

In your HD600 review you mentioned slightly soft transients for the HD600 and I wonder how you feel about the transient response of the NDH30 and the dt900 pro X compared to the HD600?

The NHD30 and the dt900pro X seem to be some of the best studio headphones recently released, both with an excellent midrange and bass. The Neumann lacking some air, the Beyerdynamic a bit on the bright side. Which is quite easy to EQ. What are you thoughts on these two headphones compared?
I'm especially interested in the subjectively perceived difference in soundstage and if the angled drivers gives them an advantage over he Beyerdynamic.

Postlan

In your HD600 review you mentioned slightly soft transients for the HD600 and I wonder how you feel about the transient response of the NDH30 and the dt900 pro X compared to the HD600?

I am not Cuckoo Studio, but I will provide my comments as I have been using both the HD600 and NDH30 for over 4 hours a day since September last year.

When listening to the HD600 alone, the transient response is absolutely fine. However, when comparing it with the NDH30, the NDH30 is more linear and clear. The noticeable difference lies in the low-frequency distortion, where the NDH30 offers significantly more transparency. While I perceive the NDH30 to have a slightly darker impression when compared side by side, I don't find the need for any EQ adjustments.

In terms of comfort, the NDH30's headband exerts more pressure and the headphones themselves are heavier. Personally, I find the HD600 better in this regard. However, this could vary from person to person. For casual music listening, I prefer using the HD600.

If I were to buy either one now, disregarding the price difference, I would recommend the NDH30. I have been buying and using multiple HD600 models for over 20 years, but I believe the one I currently have will likely be my last. Since the NDH30 is essentially developed by Sennheiser, the fundamental sound signature remains true to Sennheiser's. Existing Sennheiser users will probably find the sound familiar and experience minimal dissonance.

chesebert

Quick take on 800S (3ply TP in front of driver) vs NDH30 (on CFA3 and Linn):

800S:
- smoother mid range - as smooth as HEK and 007mk2 and slightly smoother than NDH30 and Clear OG. This took me by surprise to be honest. TP does not affect mid range frequencies
- very slightly more transparent mid range than NDH30 and Clear (did not see this one coming)
- greater treble extension and detail (expected). Some track can sound having slightly too tilted up FR without TP
- greater width and depth of soundstage. About the same height as NDH30. Can sound slightly artificial depending on the track

NDH30:
- Greater PRaT
- More dynamic
- More satisfactory bass and sub bass - sub bass can create a scale that 800S cannot match
- Slightly greater weight to music notes
- warmer sounding with more agreeable treble tuning out of the box

NDH30 is a great value at less than 50% of MSRP of 800S.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
- Greater PRaT
Can you describe PRaT and how that would translate to measurements ?

- More dynamic
What do you mean with dynamics.
Arguably the dynamics are about the same and when looking at bass response the HD800S shows less compression than HD560S so arguably should have a better dynamic range in the lows.

Top Bottom