• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 8.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 470 90.9%

• Total voters

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The KH750 is worth it. It is not very expensive compared to its capabilities. I would suggest you simply wait and save up.

teashea

No problem. I am glad to respond and your English is just fine.

The KH120's/KH750, KH310's and KH150 are so close in sound quality that I cannot tell you exactly what the differences are. It is the Neumann family sound - which is to say very colorless, flat frequency response and low distortion. The KH120's/KH750 have the lowest bass because of the sub. The KH310's bass is slightly deeper than the KH150. The tweeters are the same in all of them so the top end is the same.

neunoir

Sorry for the question
But the KH150 has a built in DAC, is it possible to bypass the WiiM Pro's internal DAC so you don't double convert the signal?
With the Bluesound Node, internal DAC is not used with digital out (because you stay digital. No need to convert to Analogue there).
But correct me if i'm wrong.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
With the Bluesound Node, internal DAC is not used with digital out (because you stay digital. No need to convert to Analogue there).
But correct me if i'm wrong.
Unfortunately the Bluesound Node is too expensive for me, so I'm looking for something similar for less $$$
Like the WiiM Pro

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I think it would be a huge mistake to try to pair KH310's with any other manufacturer's sub. Why would one do this? Neumann has carefully crafted their monitors and subs to work together. No other sub is going to integrate as well.
Sorry but you are totally wrong here my friend. I get perfect integration between my KH150s + Rythmik Audio E22 subwoofer using a MiniDSP FLEX TRS with Dirac Live. In fact, you get better integration using a MiniDSP FLEX than using Neumann’s MA1 app/mic. I have tried both and ended returning the MA1 mic. The MA1 app is too buggy.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry but you are totally wrong here my friend. I get perfect integration between my KH150s + Rythmik Audio E22 subwoofer using a MiniDSP FLEX TRS with Dirac Live. In fact, you get better integration using a MiniDSP FLEX than using Neumann’s MA1 app/mic. I have tried both and ended returning the MA1 mic. The MA1 app is too buggy.
I know how you mean it, and i agree, that other subwoofers can work well, but to clarify for people who don't know your setup: Of course Dirac works better than MA1, if you use Rythmik subs instead of the Neumann KH750 sub.
You did not compare
150+750+MA1 vs 150+E22+Dirac, but
150+E22+MA1 vs 150+E22+Dirac.

If i had time i would try Dirac with my 310+750 setup again and test it against the 310+750+MA1, but i do not. Maybe if they release DLBC at some point.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I know how you mean it, and i agree, that other subwoofers can work well, but to clarify for people who don't know your setup: Of course Dirac works better than MA1, if you use Rythmik subs instead of the Neumann KH750 sub.
You did not compare
150+750+MA1 vs 150+E22+Dirac, but
150+E22+MA1 vs 150+E22+Dirac.

If i had time i would try Dirac with my 310+750 setup again and test it against the 310+750+MA1, but i do not. Maybe if they release DLBC at some point.

My point was to clarify that it is NOT a mistake pairing any Neumann KH monitor with a non Neumann subwoofer. If you have the right tools, like a MiniDSP FLEX, you could get even better results and even better sound with a non Neumann subwoofer rather than using a KH750 subwoofer.

Rahan

I think you can have a great result with any good subwoofer is you use the correct tool to match them up. There is not such a thing as good match for same brand drivers... the hk750 is a good deal if you haven't an external dsp already. For those who have one, there is others sub to think about. Adam sub 10, focal sub one etc.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you can have a great result with any good subwoofer is you use the correct tool to match them up. There is not such a thing as good match for same brand drivers... the hk750 is a good deal if you haven't an external dsp already. For those who have one, there is others sub to think about. Adam sub 10, focal sub one etc.
+1

And the usual suspects from the Hi-Fi world at least in the USA, HSU, MonoPrice, Rythmik, SVS... Again, forc hoosing subwoofers, one of the best tools available is our fellow ASRist Subwoofer Comparison Tool by @sweetchaos . The KH750 is a good subwoofer but for the same price ($1695) one can find better from the aforementioned (and other) with much more reach and output... For the same cash outlay and still more output and lower reach, I'd go for a pair of $8~900 subwoofers.. Now the integration would likely be more difficult than with the MA-1 but ...

Peace

Sokel

Master Contributor
Why is it easier ?
Lower xover freq (so the sub works as it is intended to work),lower stress for mid,no classical 100-200Hz dip,possibly lower IMD,etc.
Subs are not woofers and moreso are NO MID-woofers,I'm going to post this one more time,just as a remainder:

sub.PNG

Last edited:

teashea

I think that some people are forgetting the Neumann DSP function in the KH750 and how this integrates with the Neumann monitors.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Can you set up DSP on the 150 out the box or do you need to buy the add on MA1 thingy?

You need the MA1 mic yes or yes. The MA1 app ask you for the MA1 mic serial number so the app gets access to the mic's calibration file located in Neumann's servers.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I think that some people are forgetting the Neumann DSP function in the KH750 and how this integrates with the Neumann monitors.
No one forgets the fact that are made to compliment each other.
On the other hand does this charts inspire you to cross higher than the absolute minimum or use them for anything other than nearfield (as they are intended)?

THD.PNG

THD

SPL.PNG

SPL

Physics is physics,with DSP or without.

teashea

Can you set up DSP on the 150 out the box or do you need to buy the add on MA1 thingy?
The KH 150's use very sophistocated DSP in their design. A good bit of their goodness - ie flat frequency response and low distortion - is a result of the use of DSP. The MA1 is a precision microphone and software that can be used to tailor the KH150's to the specific room.

dshreter

Assuming it is the same as KH80, DSP parametric EQ can be accessed via an iPad app when the speaker is connected to the network via Ethernet. MA 1 is not required for that.

Top Bottom