• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 8.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 470 90.9%

• Total voters

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I finally got my pair in from Germany this afternoon after they circled around customs at the Philadelphia airport for several days.

These are my first true active speakers, and I'm using them at my desk at a listening distance of just over 3ft.

My very early subjective impressions are extremely positive. I have not touched a single thing yet beyond simply plugging them into my E70 and spinning up some test tracks. They remind me of listening to very high-end head phones except without the weird every-sound-is-coming-from-inside-my-head sort of "thinness". So far I'm most impressed with how full and completely balanced they sound in the midrange. Until now, that's something I've only really heard achieved with good 3-way speakers. The almost complete absence of distortion is clearly heard when blasting more bass-heavy music. I'm looking forward to pumping up the bass more to my tastes and seeing how they react. I'm not accustomed to a subwoofer-less system.
Next time you have something shipped from other countries have the vendor use DHL. DHL shipments are flown into Cincinnati. The last several shipments I have had from DHL go through customs in Cininnati is less that two hours.

Glad you like the KH150's. They are quite something.

teashea

There are physical constraints impossible to overcome
However for near field use the 150 must be perfect with the only possible exception of very good coaxials like Genelec
If you listen from 10 feet or more you could want more impact than that offered by the 150?
Imhe more is always better than less
Neumann says that the KH150's are best from 1 meter to 2.5 meters. Personally I would not use them at a greater distance. (I use mine at 1.3 meters).

Coaxial design is difficult and involves compromises. Stuffing a tweeter in the middle of woofer ........

Henridesmetal

There are physical constraints impossible to overcome
However for near field use the 150 must be perfect with the only possible exception of very good coaxials like Genelec
If you listen from 10 feet or more you could want more impact than that offered by the 150?
Imhe more is always better than less
Other 2-way loudspeakers can compete with the KH150. I bought the KH150 and the 8350a to be able to compare them in near field listening (80cm) and I preferred and kept the 8350a, even if the KH150 is really an excellent loudspeaker.

Last edited:

gino1961

The KH310 is not so clearly superior to the KH150. I have a pair of both in my studio and they are both quit excellent. Before I received the KH150's I expected that the 310's midrange would be superior. However, after having compared the two systems (in the same studio room), I cannot say that. Neumann's audio engineers have done a superlative job in designing the KH150. The mids are smooth and lovely and flat without coloration. Exactly what I was for music production.

View attachment 258381
View attachment 258382
Hi thanks for the very valuable advice You have a lot of very high quality stuff in your studio
I wonder which is your favorite system

gino1961

Neumann says that the KH150's are best from 1 meter to 2.5 meters. Personally I would not use them at a greater distance. (I use mine at 1.3 meters).
Perfect and thank you for the advice
Coaxial design is difficult and involves compromises. Stuffing a tweeter in the middle of woofer ........
I have experience only with Tannoy coaxials I love the concept a lot
I would like to apply dsp to one of them in the future
I see your point but i have positive experiences mostly Maybe the were not completely tuned in but promising

gino1961

Other 2-way loudspeakers can compete with the KH150. I bought the KH150 and the 8350a to be able to compare them in near field listening (80cm) and I preferred and kept the 8350a, even if the KH150 is really an excellent loudspeaker.
HI thanks a lot I like the Genelec aluminum cabinet hugely
A work of art indeed and I am sure that its contribute to the sound is not negligible

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I just looked it up. It has a coax out. So, it should work...
Sorry for the question
But the KH150 has a built in DAC, is it possible to bypass the WiiM Pro's internal DAC so you don't double convert the signal?

nbot

Damn, should have waited for the 150s - bought 310s and now it looks like 150 is actually a better deal :facepalm:

gino1961

gino1961

Yeah, but what I mean is for the price I paid for 310 pair I could get 150s and 750 subwoofer which IMO would be better.
150s seem to be flatter in some areas.
i think you would do better with two subs one per side
i was advised to do so by a guy from Jl Audio

nbot

i think you would do better with two subs one per side
i was advised to do so by a guy from Jl Audio
I know it's really not on topic, but has anybody tried pairing 310s with any other sub than 750? I know it has some DSP and calibaration capabilities but I'm really low on budget these days and was wondering to try something cheaper? Does it even make sense? Would the latency destroy synchronization between the sub and speakers?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Yeah, but what I mean is for the price I paid for 310 pair I could get 150s and 750 subwoofer which IMO would be better.
150s seem to be flatter in some areas.
You would be missing one way.
It's far easier to intergrate subs with 3-ways than with 2-ways.

teashea

Hi thanks for the very valuable advice You have a lot of very high quality stuff in your studio
I wonder which is your favorite system
Great question. I must say that there is not clear preference among the three monitor systems that I have. They are all very very close in capabilities. I suppose the KH150's are my slight favorites - probably because they are the newest. The sound of each is quite similar - just different enough so that I have have some different input on the songs I produce. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Great question. I must say that there is not clear preference among the three monitor systems that I have. They are all very very close in capabilities. I suppose the KH150's are my slight favorites - probably because they are the newest. The sound of each is quite similar - just different enough so that I have have some different input on the songs I produce. Let me know if you have any other questions.
What are the main differences in SQ between KH310 and KH150? (without a sub)
Thanks.

teashea

You would be missing one way.
It's far easier to intergrate subs with 3-ways than with 2-ways.
It depends on what one's needs are. For my purposes there is no need to have a sub with my 310's. For my 120's the 750 sub is an excellent companion and it combines smoothly and seemlessly. The Neumann DSP in the KH750 ensures this.

teashea

I know it's really not on topic, but has anybody tried pairing 310s with any other sub than 750? I know it has some DSP and calibaration capabilities but I'm really low on budget these days and was wondering to try something cheaper? Does it even make sense? Would the latency destroy synchronization between the sub and speakers?
I think it would be a huge mistake to try to pair KH310's with any other manufacturer's sub. Why would one do this? Neumann has carefully crafted their monitors and subs to work together. No other sub is going to integrate as well.

nbot

I think it would be a huge mistake to try to pair KH310's with any other manufacturer's sub. Why would one do this? Neumann has carefully crafted their monitors and subs to work together. No other sub is going to integrate as well.
I know, but I'm running out of money currently and was hoping to look for something cheaper. That's why I asked if it even makes sense at all :)

Top Bottom