• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 8.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 471 90.9%

• Total voters

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Out of curiosity, what effect does setting them on 85 as opposed to 120db? Presumably, if set to 120db, I'd need to crank the volume less on the RME to get to the same volume?
Set it to taste. If i have it at 100db, it gets quickly very loud, therefore i never "crank" my interface. 85db for me personally is sufficient and i am always well in the negative values, but YMMV.
The louder the speaker's setting, the more hiss, i think. AFAIK it is better to have the RME louder and the speakers quieter, but i can't explain it technically. A typical interface performs better at 0dB than -15db, for example. But as i say, 100db (speakers) is the standard value - you can let it be or change to whatever is most practical to you from there.

Vanx

Set it to taste. If i have it at 100db, it gets quickly very loud, therefore i never "crank" my interface. 85db for me personally is sufficient and i am always well in the negative values, but YMMV.
The louder the speaker's setting, the more hiss, i think. AFAIK it is better to have the RME louder and the speakers quieter, but i can't explain it technically. A typical interface performs better at 0dB than -15db, for example. But as i say, 100db (speakers) is the standard value - you can let it be or change to whatever is most practical to you from there.
I never fully understood how the gain staging works for these speakers. Does setting it on 85db will physically limit the possibile output to 85db? And anyone knows how to replicate the gain knob setting after calibrating them with the MA1? I think is then bypassed? I would like to have the same volume/output on both lan and “offline” setting. In the offline setting I had them set to gain at lowest and at 94db on output switch, my Apollo X8P has still PLENTY of gain to drive them

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I never fully understood how the gain staging works for these speakers. Does setting it on 85db will physically limit the possibile output to 85db? And anyone knows how to replicate the gain knob setting after calibrating them with the MA1? I think is then bypassed? I would like to have the same volume/output on both lan and “offline” setting. In the offline setting I had them set to gain at lowest and at 94db on output switch, my Apollo X8P has still PLENTY of gain to drive them
You can set the volume in the MA1 software. AFAIK thst is the equivalent to the switches and knobs on the backplate. The rest don't know. The only thing i know is that my KH80 (analog connection to my interface) need to be set 9 or 10 dB louder than my KH750+310 (digital connection) to reach the same volume, but this may be due to different output levels - i don't know.

Vanx

You can set the volume in the MA1 software. AFAIK thst is the equivalent to the switches and knobs on the backplate. The rest don't know. The only thing i know is that my KH80 (analog connection to my interface) need to be set 9 or 10 dB louder than my KH750+310 (digital connection) to reach the same volume, but this may be due to different output levels - i don't know.
Ok thanks, I asked that because I can't find the equivalent of the "gain" setting in the MA1 software and its manual.. only the output level that is more granular than the backplate switches. I can't test this as I have the KH150 sitting on a shelf since early December, as I'm waiting for NEUMANN to send me somehow a fixed revision of the LH66 stands that are defective (wrongly tooled)... 3 months and counting

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's for gain staging and setting the sensitivity of your speaker matching to your interface. You can throw away a lot of dynamic range when switched wrong ...
If you don't know what to do - set it to the lowest value. When you need to turn up your interface 100% and the speaker still is not loud enough, switch to a higher sensitivity.

Vanx

It's for gain staging and setting the sensitivity of your speaker matching to your interface. You can throw away a lot of dynamic range when switched wrong ...
If you don't know what to do - set it to the lowest value. When you need to turn up your interface 100% and the speaker still is not loud enough, switch to a higher sensitivity.
Yes, and at the lowest value my interface still has a lot of power to drive the speakers! I was trying to understand if it is possible to tune the gain setting in the MA1/lan setting after tuning the speakers, as the physical knob is then bypassed.. but the only slider I see is the one related to the OUTPUT level

dazzler9000

Another newbie question. After calibration, can I adjust the speaker gain controls up or down without re-calibrating the system?

HIFIBOY

1.1.10 Firmware, there is a situation that the light is not on after standby sleep, and the power needs to be turned off for 2 minutes, and then the startup is normal.

Filio45

1.1.10 Firmware, there is a situation that the light is not on after standby sleep, and the power needs to be turned off for 2 minutes, and then the startup is normal.
Are you saying 1.1.10 solves the issue or actually causes it?

Two days ago, one of my 150's wouldn't turn on after being in standby sleep mode overnight. I tried turning it on/off and changing cable/ main socket to no avail. Tried yet another cable/ socket and it turned on finally, and also continued working back in it's original place by my desk. Been fine since then over the last two days. The time period between the monitor not working and working again may indeed have been around 2 minutes. I was panicking at the time and on the verge of calling the retailer from where they came....

The firmware did automatically update on both my 150's around two weeks ago when I connected them to my PC/ MA-1, but not sure what firmware number it was unless I reconnect to check.

Last edited:

HIFIBOY

Are you saying 1.1.10 solves the issue or actually causes it?

Two days ago, one of my 150's wouldn't turn on after being in standby sleep mode overnight. I tried turning it on/off and changing cable/ main socket to no avail. Tried yet another cable/ socket and it turned on finally, and also continued working back in it's original place by my desk. Been fine since then over the last two days. The time period between the monitor not working and working may indeed have been around 2 minutes. I was panicking at the time and on the verge of calling the retailer from where they came....

The firmware did automatically update on both my 150's around two weeks ago when I connected them to my PC/ MA-1, but not sure what firmware number it was unless I reconnect to check.
I didn't experience this problem with the previous 1.0.0 firmware, and upgrading to 1.1.10 had one speaker that didn't wake up and the other that didn't.

Filio45

I didn't experience this problem with the previous 1.0.0 firmware, and upgrading to 1.1.10 had one speaker that didn't wake up and the other that didn't.
Hmm, are Neumann/ Sennheiser aware of this? I'm relieved that it's more likely that than a fault, so thanks for the heads up. Was going to mention the incident on this thread but you beat me to it.

Last edited:

Filio45

had one speaker that didn't wake up and the other that didn't.
Out of interest, was the speaker that didn't wake up the one that's connected to the source (plus other speaker), or the one that is only connected to the other speaker and not the source? My one was the second case.

Niko Malt

Forum Donor
I had the exact same thing with my KH150 (connected to the other speaker) since the update to 1.1.10

Vanx

Ok thanks, I asked that because I can't find the equivalent of the "gain" setting in the MA1 software and its manual.. only the output level that is more granular than the backplate switches. I can't test this as I have the KH150 sitting on a shelf since early December, as I'm waiting for NEUMANN to send me somehow a fixed revision of the LH66 stands that are defective (wrongly tooled)... 3 months and counting
Just to update... Ordered and received the fifth and sixth units of LH66 Neumann stands for the Kh150 from another shop, as I really need to setup my studio, and unfortunately even these, as the other 4 I've sent back, are faulty. Big thing is going on with the manufacturing of these...... wondering when I'll get a pair of not faulty units. Anyone using these supports?

BjarniM

Just to update... Ordered and received the fifth and sixth units of LH66 Neumann stands for the Kh150 from another shop, as I really need to setup my studio, and unfortunately even these, as the other 4 I've sent back, are faulty. Big thing is going on with the manufacturing of these...... wondering when I'll get a pair of not faulty units. Anyone using these supports?
What do you mean when you’re saying ‘faulty’?

Vanx

What do you mean when you’re saying ‘faulty’?
The supports have a metal piece with three grooves, as they offer three inclination settings for the Kh150 speakers. These grooves are on both sides of this metal piece (mirrored), consequently the grooves height should match, otherwise when you mount the speaker it wouldn't be perfectly level. See the attached photo. On one side the grooves are all the same height, on the other the center one is shorter than the others... another problem is that some units have the big metal base that isn't flat and it wobbles when you place it on the table... really unfortunate. They are pricey and seem very sturdy, I hope the fix is near and I can receive a flawless pair of them.
IMG_2211.jpeg

Karmacoma

Forum Donor
It's a jurney. Being able to use REW you can analyse your room. Check the best woofer position. Improve your bedroom system. Or just gain knowhow first hand so you are less dependend what some freaks in forums tell you :p
You're being too hard on yourself.
Let him find the good cables first.
Then let him buy a subwoofer. Eventually.

192kbps

Some people insist on using a digital interface to connect the KH 150 compared to an analog interface. Is there a difference in audibility?

IamJF

I didn't test with the KH150 but with my Hypex DSP modules and RME interface and I belive there is a little difference. So I would recommend to do so.

The nice thing is you could use a pretty cheap interface when you are on the go and just use the digital output. No extra conversion steps.

Top Bottom