• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need analog passive 2.1 volume control

aikofan

I read about that dreaded ”automatically going to 0dB/melting tweeters & my eardrums“ problem on a couple of threads today, so I was inspired to start this thread. Like most of you, I despise this problem, and I’ve run into it way too often over the years.

Most recently it was my miniDSP Flex, which when I powered it on normally as I do every day, suddenly decided to scream a constant digital tone (not white noise but a fire alarm-like tone in the hundreds of Hz range by my ears) at full blast for no apparent reason. After power cycling, it seems to be working normally, but my nerves (and especially those of my wife) are too frazzled for me to resume normally, so I disconnected the Flex from my amp and sub and connected it to a little portable speaker for the time being. I haven’t even checked if my downstream equipment is damaged yet. And based on previous experience with glitches on this thing, I’ll probably never find out what caused the problem. After some reboots or fiddling, the problem will randomly go away, but another problem will surely arise at some unexpected time.

But I’m not singling out miniDSP because I’ve had several pieces of equipment suddenly and unexpectedly go to 0dB, including 2 different NAD integrated amps, a Parasound DAC, and even some Logitech computer speakers.

So I don’t want to just gripe about this ubiquitous problem. I want to find a solution. And that would be a transparent passive analog volume control, like the Schiit Sys, that I could insert between my Flex and power amp. However, unfortunately, I need a 2.1 version of the Sys so I can protect my sub and keep its volume aligned with my L+R channels. Has anyone found such a thing? Something with a little bit of a track record would be nice, although I may have to turn to Aliexpress if all else fails.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I read about that dreaded ”automatically going to 0dB/melting tweeters & my eardrums“ problem on a couple of threads today, so I was inspired to start this thread. Like most of you, I despise this problem, and I’ve run into it way too often over the years.

Most recently it was my miniDSP Flex, which when I powered it on normally as I do every day, suddenly decided to scream a constant digital tone (not white noise but a fire alarm-like tone in the hundreds of Hz range by my ears) at full blast for no apparent reason. After power cycling, it seems to be working normally, but my nerves (and especially those of my wife) are too frazzled for me to resume normally, so I disconnected the Flex from my amp and sub and connected it to a little portable speaker for the time being. I haven’t even checked if my downstream equipment is damaged yet. And based on previous experience with glitches on this thing, I’ll probably never find out what caused the problem. After some reboots or fiddling, the problem will randomly go away, but another problem will surely arise at some unexpected time.

But I’m not singling out miniDSP because I’ve had several pieces of equipment suddenly and unexpectedly go to 0dB, including 2 different NAD integrated amps, a Parasound DAC, and even some Logitech computer speakers.

So I don’t want to just gripe about this ubiquitous problem. I want to find a solution. And that would be a transparent passive analog volume control, like the Schiit Sys, that I could insert between my Flex and power amp. However, unfortunately, I need a 2.1 version of the Sys so I can protect my sub and keep its volume aligned with my L+R channels. Has anyone found such a thing? Something with a little bit of a track record would be nice, although I may have to turn to Aliexpress if all else fails.

OP
aikofan

aikofan

So I ended up just getting a 2-channel passive stepped attenuator - a Chinese DACT imitation. The Heritage Audio Baby Ram looked promising, but then I read a lot of comments about quality control/reliability problems in some pro audio forums. So I just settled on this stereo unit, using it to set a max level for my mains while matching my sub level by ear using the sub’s gain/level knob. I‘ll continue using the Flex volume control to fine tune my listening level because changing the sub gain is a pain in the ass - the knob is in the back and I have to use a mirror to see it, and I have to be really attentive so I don’t accidentally turn the knob in the opposite direction than my intention.

One problem I encountered with this compromise setup is that if I use brickwalled K-pop to set my max volume, it’s too quiet for classical symphonic music. But if I use classical to set my max volume, the next time my Flex decides on its own to squeal at 0dB, the volume will still be loud enough to jeopardize my mental health. So with my volume limiter setup, I won’t be able to crank my classical music quite as much as I would like.

So I’ll just use this for now until one day someone comes out with a 2.1 or 4-channel attenuator that’s reliable and not DIY.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s an overkill but does the job

If you have DIY skills this or similar will be much cheaper

OP
aikofan

aikofan

It’s an overkill but does the job

If you have DIY skills this or similar will be much cheaper

That SPL unit would do the job, but I would feel silly spending way more on my volume controller than on my Flex. Unfortunately, I’m not a DIYer. I was just going to buy 2 of these cheap stereo attenuators and match both knob positions, but I thought I might as well just use the gain knob on my sub instead.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That SPL unit would do the job, but I would feel silly spending way more on my volume controller than on my Flex. Unfortunately, I’m not a DIYer. I was just going to buy 2 of these cheap stereo attenuators and match both knob positions, but I thought I might as well just use the gain knob on my sub instead.
If you buy two stereo switched attenuator units instead of continuous pots your level match will be very near each other.

OP
aikofan

aikofan

If you buy two stereo switched attenuator units instead of continuous pots your level match will be very near each other.
Yes, that was my original plan, but I hate clutter and redundancy, so I decided to just use my sub gain knob and new attenuator to set the max level one time and continue using my Flex to adjust the volume for daily listening, since it has a convenient remote. I thought that would be preferable to getting out of my chair and turning 2 separate knobs every time I wanted to adjust the volume.

Top Bottom