• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations for a DAC with analog volume control, USB In and 2 RCA preamp outputs?

elshaddai

Trying to put together a simple desktop setup. I have a Buckeye 252 power amp (XLR input, have RCA-to-XLR cables already) and a sub with RCA Line In. Would like to find a simple DAC with USB input from my PC, has an analog volume control and two RCA Line Out options, one for power amp, one for sub. I can change to XLR+RCA outputs if there's no other option - just want to use what I have if I can.

And/or is using an RCA splitter off one RCA output an appropriate solution? In which case the question is what DAC with analog volume control (no headphone amp needed)?

Currently using a JDS Atom 2 stack (DAC/headphone amp) with the signal passing through my sub to the power amp, if there's no better option.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Trying to put together a simple desktop setup. I have a Buckeye 252 power amp (XLR input, have RCA-to-XLR cables already) and a sub with RCA Line In. Would like to find a simple DAC with USB input from my PC, has an analog volume control and two RCA Line Out options, one for power amp, one for sub. I can change to XLR+RCA outputs if there's no other option - just want to use what I have if I can.

And/or is using an RCA splitter off one RCA output an appropriate solution? In which case the question is what DAC with analog volume control (no headphone amp needed)?

Currently using a JDS Atom 2 stack (DAC/headphone amp) with the signal passing through my sub to the power amp, if there's no better option.
Plenty of DACs with variable output but they tend to be digital attenuation. Similarly, not aware of any with 2x rca outs but plenty with rca and xlr.

Consider rca splitter plugs on the back of your atom amp and you're good to go already though with a great performing little rig

OP
elshaddai

elshaddai

Plenty of DACs with variable output but they tend to be digital attenuation. Similarly, not aware of any with 2x rca outs but plenty with rca and xlr.

Consider rca splitter plugs on the back of your atom amp and you're good to go already though with a great performing little rig
Appreciate the recommendation, certainly much simpler - thank you. Are the hard plugs preferable to "Y" splitter cables?

Nutul

Appreciate the recommendation, certainly much simpler - thank you. Are the hard plugs preferable to "Y" splitter cables?
They are just the same.
I won't be using RCA splitters, though, as they will get two loads and possibly half the impedance...
Your better solution is to chose a DAC that can output simultaneously to both RCA and XLR (probably all of them can...), then go XLR -> amp and RCA -> subwoofer.

OP
elshaddai

elshaddai

Your better solution is to chose a DAC that can output simultaneously to both RCA and XLR (probably all of them can...), then go XLR -> amp and RCA -> subwoofer.
Understood. Any specific recommendations?

boxerfan88

SMSL DO100 has simultaneous XLR+RCA output.

Top Bottom