• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP Flex volume and Preamp volume

concorde1

Suppose with MiniDSP Flex you have outputs 1+2 going to HPamp/preamp combo, then outputs 3+4 going to two subwoofers.

Would there be any sound quality consequence of using Flex to control volume of everything, while the preamp adds fixed gain for the power amp?

That is, the preamp is permanently set such that it outputs max acceptable power for the power amp (4 Vrms) when Flex is set to 100%, and I just attenuate with the Flex volume.

Then when I used headphones I would want to do the opposite for my safety: set Flex to 100% and attenuate with the HPamp instead. That's a bit inconvenient but I could handle it.

Geert

Major Contributor
The miniDSP uses 32 bit resolution, which allows for a lot of attenuation without degradating sound. The SN ratio is 120dB so noise shouldn't be an issue. In summary, it should work.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
If power amplifier/amplifiers have the volume controls it's for your (equipment) safety recommend that you do the same with them (towards reference calibration 86~88 dB white noise with volume set to full on MiniDSP) as you do for headphone amplifier. It's not inconvenient as you do it once (every time you do a setup and calibration actually) it's safe volume limiter if you wish. I do it like that as I use JRiver Loudness which needs calibration to work properly anyway.

Top Bottom