• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

fcracer

Forum Donor
Hi, guys,

Why are the radiators black in some models and golden in others?

Sorry )
Don’t know the reason but I notice the black ones also have a flimsy cover over the purify modules. My M33, one of the earliest ones, has black heat exchangers and the flimsy thing on top covering the modules. The golden ones would certainly look more high end!

Last edited:

unexperienced

Don’t know the reason but I notice the black ones also have a flimsy cover over the purify modules. My M33 which, one of the earliest ones, has black heat exchangers and the flimsy thing on top covering the modules. The golden ones would certainly look more high end!
Yes, indeed, on the amplifier produced at the end of the 21st year, gold radiators are installed.

unexperienced

Don’t know the reason but I notice the black ones also have a flimsy cover over the purify modules. My M33 which, one of the earliest ones, has black heat exchangers and the flimsy thing on top covering the modules. The golden ones would certainly look more high end!
A little more than three years you have been the owner of the M33. I have a question. How surprised were you by the very first sound when you turned it on, after your C390DD? Just the other day, I listened to the M33 without any settings, when it was just taken out of the factory packaging. And he was very surprised. The sound is one to one like the M32. This is apparently the signature style of the master series. Tell me, can Dirac add low frequencies, and how noticeable?

fcracer

Forum Donor
A little more than three years you have been the owner of the M33. I have a question. How surprised were you by the very first sound when you turned it on, after your C390DD? Just the other day, I listened to the M33 without any settings, when it was just taken out of the factory packaging. And he was very surprised. The sound is one to one like the M32. This is apparently the signature style of the master series. Tell me, can Dirac add low frequencies, and how noticeable?
I wrote about my experience at this link: https://fcracer.com/nad-m33-review/

An excerpt:

Prior to setting up the Dirac Live, there was no discernible difference in sound quality between the M33 and the 390DD. Both have that wonderful inky black silent background with absolutely no hiss at any volume levels. If you held a gun to my head and asked me to be foolishly subjective, I would say that the M33 sounds more fluid, like the notes start and stop more precisely which allows the music to sound smoother and more refined. It may just be mental BS from having spent money or it may be something that can be quantified.

I’ve subsequently written that the single biggest improvement in my home audio experience has come from Dirac Live. Based on my personal experimentation, I would say the room is the most important, the speakers next, room correction third. For amplification, I’d focus more on power, connectivity, features, build quality and looks, assuming it measures decently.

I should also mention that I’m 100% happy with the M33 over the years. It brings hours of joy listening to music and watching TV. It helped me get through the challenging lockdowns we had here in China during the pandemic. I like the M33 so much that I’ve preordered the C3050LE for my bedroom.

unexperienced

I wrote about my experience at this link: https://fcracer.com/nad-m33-review/

An excerpt:

Prior to setting up the Dirac Live, there was no discernible difference in sound quality between the M33 and the 390DD. Both have that wonderful inky black silent background with absolutely no hiss at any volume levels. If you held a gun to my head and asked me to be foolishly subjective, I would say that the M33 sounds more fluid, like the notes start and stop more precisely which allows the music to sound smoother and more refined. It may just be mental BS from having spent money or it may be something that can be quantified.

I’ve subsequently written that the single biggest improvement in my home audio experience has come from Dirac Live. Based on my personal experimentation, I would say the room is the most important, the speakers next, room correction third. For amplification, I’d focus more on power, connectivity, features, build quality and looks, assuming it measures decently.

I should also mention that I’m 100% happy with the M33 over the years. It brings hours of joy listening to music and watching TV. It helped me get through the challenging lockdowns we had here in China during the pandemic. I like the M33 so much that I’ve preordered the C3050LE for my bedroom.

Thank's
I am also in the best impressions of the 390DD, I owned it for 9 years. But after 5 years I changed it to the M32 and also did not feel much difference when I first turned it on. 390DD worked in a country house until the sale. But the 390DD had a manual six-band bass control, and the M32 did not have such an option. In M33 it is possible to adjust the basses at the expense of Dirac as in 390DD?

fcracer

Forum Donor
Thank's
I am also in the best impressions of the 390DD, I owned it for 9 years. But after 5 years I changed it to the M32 and also did not feel much difference when I first turned it on. 390DD worked in a country house until the sale. But the 390DD had a manual six-band bass control, and the M32 did not have such an option. In M33 it is possible to adjust the basses at the expense of Dirac as in 390DD?
I don't know the specific number of "taps" that NAD has chosen to utilize in their implementation of Dirac on the M33, but I can safely say it will be more than the six-band bass control that we had in our C390DD. Therefore, there's far more fine tuning available for Dirac to smoothen the bass response.

Furthermore, Dirac makes other adjustments to time align the speakers which the simple adjustment on the C390DD is unable to do. It's Dirac that makes the biggest improvement in sound going from the C390DD to the M33. I will never buy another pre-amp/integrated without room correction.

fcracer

Forum Donor
Let's see if we will be there from the first of October :cool:
That sounded really good:

I recommend all M33 owners to reach out to NAD via support to request ART implementation on the M33. I’ve already done this and was advised they’ll pass on the request to the product team.

unexperienced

Thanks for the responses guys!

Today I will take the M33 from the store, the one that looked the day before. After the M32, I decided to try Lyngdorf, I bought the younger 1120, I wrote about this device in the last year on the forum. I wanted to buy a top Lingdorf 3400, but changed my mind. I was confused by its technical design. in terms of the element base, in particular, the use of the tas5508c pwm controller, which was released 13 years ago. Lyngdorf has no other option but to use this, or similar chip in the next model if they want to keep their proprietary Full Digital Equibity Amplification topology. Therefore, I decided to return to NAD with M33.

Last edited:

fcracer

Forum Donor
Thanks for the responses guys!

Today I will take the M33 from the store, the one that looked the day before. After the M32, I decided to try Lyngdorf, I bought the younger 1120, I wrote about this device in the last year on the forum. I wanted to buy a top Lingdorf 3400, but changed my mind. I was confused by its technical design. in terms of the element base, in particular, the use of the tas5508c pwm controller, which was released 13 years ago. Lyngdorf has no other option but to use this, or similar chip in the next model if they want to keep their proprietary Full Digital Equibity Amplification topology. Therefore, I decided to return to NAD with M33.
Mr. Lyngdorf will be happy either way as he is a co-founder of Purifi which supplies the amplifier modules for the M33. It will be interesting to see what amplifier technology Lyngdorf chooses to use in future products. I’ve always liked their design but didn’t care much more their performance. Purifi could change that.

unexperienced

Joined the team...

Attachments

• IMG_20230217_201348.jpg
    IMG_20230217_201348.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 105

fcracer

Forum Donor
Joined the team...
Welcome and enjoy. I'm always astonished at how loud I can play the music without any fatigue or the feeling of anything being stressed. With Dirac, it may take one or two tries to get it right, but once you figure it out, it'll all come together so nicely.

The key is to get the first measurement perfectly in the place in between your ears (and at least 30cm away from any walls). After the first measurements, the remainder just depend on how tight you want the sweet spot to be.

unexperienced

Welcome and enjoy. I'm always astonished at how loud I can play the music without any fatigue or the feeling of anything being stressed. With Dirac, it may take one or two tries to get it right, but once you figure it out, it'll all come together so nicely.

The key is to get the first measurement perfectly in the place in between your ears (and at least 30cm away from any walls). After the first measurements, the remainder just depend on how tight you want the sweet spot to be.

Thank you.
Performed Dirac setup. What can I say, to say that I'm happy, it's not to say anything! If the M32 had a Dirac, I wouldn't sell it for anything. M33 is also an excellent all-in-one combine. In my tweeters, even if you come close with your ear, there is no noise, unlike other class D amplifiers. Purifi modules are on top. I liked the Dirac calibration in M33 more than in Lyngdorf. It is simpler and more visual with the possibility of manual graphical visual adjustment. The rest is a matter of taste.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Thank you.
Performed Dirac setup. What can I say, to say that I'm happy, it's not to say anything! If the M32 had a Dirac, I wouldn't sell it for anything. M33 is also an excellent all-in-one combine. In my tweeters, even if you come close with your ear, there is no noise, unlike other class D amplifiers. Purifi modules are on top. I liked the Dirac calibration in M33 more than in Lyngdorf. It is simpler and more visual with the possibility of manual graphical visual adjustment. The rest is a matter of taste.
Let's hope the M33 gets the Dirac ART upgrade

Melting735

Hi I'm new to forum but currently planning to grab an M33 considering it's versatility as an all-in-one unit. However, after reading some posts in this thread, I'm a bit concerned about its ability to wake my subs. I have two Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 and they worked very well with my Parasound P6 preamp.

Did NAD do anything to fix this subout issue?

fcracer

Forum Donor
Hi I'm new to forum but currently planning to grab an M33 considering it's versatility as an all-in-one unit. However, after reading some posts in this thread, I'm a bit concerned about its ability to wake my subs. I have two Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 and they worked very well with my Parasound P6 preamp.

Did NAD do anything to fix this subout issue?
I’m a big NAD fan (just bought and love the C3050LE for my bedroom) but sadly they’ve done nothing for the subwoofer output voltage, nor have they done anything about the Inter-sample over issue. At this point, I think it’s safe to assume it’s a hardware limitation and we’ll need to wait for v2 to resolve these issues. Check with your subwoofer manufacturer to ensure the input voltage matches the M33 for optimal performance.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I returned an M33 because of the sub issue. I believe the sub out is only 1.1 volt (not certain) but it was not enough to wake my fathoms (which lack a trigger input). Even at moderate volumes the subs were not activated.

Melting735

I guess I have to chech with Martin Logan in this case. Hopefully my subs are sensitive enough. Do anyone have luck with their subwoofers?

Top Bottom