• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice: Dirac with powered speakers

tdx

Hi everyone!

I have a "sorta" 9.4.4 Def Tech BP9000 setup (BP9080 front towers w/Atmos modules, CS9080 center, BP9020 tower rears w/Atmos modules, SR9080 satellite surrounds). I know powered speakers with integrated subs are not popular around here but since my HT space is not ideal and I can't add separate subs or real height speakers, this is a compromise which I'm happy with.

This week I got the Denon X3800H (with a separate AIYIMA A07 to handle the extra height channels), and I bought the Dirac Full bandwidth + DLBC license to (hopefully) bring my system to the next level.

One thing I'm not sure about, when I'll be doing my Dirac calibration, is how to set up the speakers in the Denon for best results.

- Do I follow DT's recommendations and plug them in via speaker wire only and mark them as full range in the AVR? But then I miss out on the 4 independent sub outs that the Denon has, plus DLCB won't be able to do anything regarding bass, since the speakers will override anything Dirac does.

- Do I plug in the LFE cable to each speaker, set them to small, and then let Dirac DLBC do its thing? But then I lose the carefully chosen crossovers that DT has implemented.

- Or do I try to split the difference and plug in the LFE cable but select them as large + LFE in the AVR prior to calibration? That way DLBC could calibrate the subs in each speaker, but then I'd still get the full range benefit of a full powered tower. In that case though I'm not sure if I should do LFE or LFE+Main to avoid double bass.

Not sure which of these three setups would give me the best results with calibration. I know I could try all three and compare, but it's a very time consuming process so would love some feedback before I get started.

And again, I know I'll get people telling me this is not a proper Atmos setup, I need real subs and heights etc and they'll be right, but as i said before this is the setup that I have so I just need advice on how to make the most of it.

Thanks!

Top Bottom