• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Christ, and this did not make you feel ill ? How could you listen with this light making the sound bad and just be ok with it ?

Anyone who goes regularly to live music and spends big in the best seats in the Hall knows blue and green lights sound the best .

You must hate music and yourself.

This sites full if music haters , I'm out of here.

I realize this thread, and perhaps just MQA, is enough to drive most of us to drink, but do you have to make it so obvious? :D

Not sure if it's all the junk on site lately, or just Amir, driving you bonkers...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Christ, and this did not make you feel ill ? How could you listen with this light making the sound bad and just be ok with it ?

Anyone who goes regularly to live music gigs and spends big on the best seats in the Hall knows blue and green lights sound the best .

You must hate music and yourself.

This sites full if music haters , I'm out of here.

I miss that light. Now instead I have to upsample everything just so the M500 shows the hi res logo instead so I can go to sleep happy. Maybe that's why I'm awake now, no soothing blue light.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I realize this thread, and perhaps just MQA, is enough to drive most of us to drink, but do you have to make it so obvious? :D

Not sure if it's all the junk on site lately, or just Amir, driving you bonkers...
No I'm sober and off to work soon , well I guess to a point that's even worse news Don ha ha

Signal to noise ratio is bad , but like vinyl records the place can still be enjoyable if one sees past imperfections. With this communication medium and all these random humans with diverging motivations and values it's a wonder any of it works towards a meaningful and constructive end .

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Signal to noise ratio is bad , but like vinyl records the place can still be enjoyable if one sees past imperfections. With this communication medium and all these random humans with diverging motivations and values it's a wonder any of it works towards a meaningful and constructive end .
Thomas, what the hell are you talking about? LOL

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Blue light = Police. You've done something wrong.
Red light = Stop, it's a brothel.
Green light = Go. All good.
Amber light = Floor it, before it goes red.

Personally, I like red LEDs on gear for standby, or fault protection and green LEDs for on. Much as the blue LED has revolutionized the entire world in real terms, it just looks tacky and horrid on HiFi gear.

I don't think I have any proper HiFi with a blue power or indicator LED on it apart from cheap Chinese things. The only bright blue power light I remember was an incandescent on Marantz amplifiers in the early 1970s. (my father's 1060). Plenty of backlit blue meters and dials in the 1970s however.

The perfectly symmetrical Marantz 1060. In my mind, one of the prettiest amplifiers ever built:
1600923142920.png

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

Personally, I like red LEDs on gear for standby, or fault protection and green LEDs for on. Much as the blue LED has revolutionized the entire world in real terms, it just looks tacky and horrid on HiFi gear.

I don't think I have any proper HiFi with a blue power or indicator LED on it apart from cheap Chinese things. The only bright blue power light I remember was an incandescent on Marantz amplifiers in the early 1970s. (my father's 1060). Plenty of backlit blue meters and dials in the 1970s however.

The perfectly symmetrical Marantz 1060. In my mind, one of the prettiest amplifiers ever built:
View attachment 84560
My Kell amps had blue lights I think .

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Gotta love the Marantz 2270/2275.

One of the favourites in my collection is the 1152DC. By 1978, they had gone to a red LED for power. (I guess I could change it to blindingly bright blue...)

(internet pic)
1600924402201.png

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

View attachment 84560

What hole does the MQA go in?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Having had a 2270 back in the day, I don't miss it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Gotta love the Marantz 2270/2275
2270 was a real beauty. I bought one with my first wedding present money. It was my first solid state high end component.
She took it in the divorce.
True story LOL

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
2270 was a real beauty. I bought one with my first wedding present money. It was my first solid state high end component.

If I had a 2270 left in my collection, I'd send it to you Sal. Absolutely beautiful receiver. Not over the top, but pretty much perfect in terms of facilities and performance for early/mid 1970s. Solid as a rock.

The last classic Marantz receiver I let go was a mint 2275. She was real purty and I sent her to another collector in WA (Western Australia, not Washington state..).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If I had a 2270 left in my collection, I'd send it to you Sal. Absolutely beautiful receiver. Not over the top, but pretty much perfect in terms of facilities and performance for early/mid 1970s. Solid as a rock.

The last classic Marantz receiver I let go was a mint 2275. She was real purty and I sent her to another collector in WA (Western Australia, not Washington state..).
Thanks John, appreciate the thought. ;)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have developed open source software for 40 years. Open source is about a lot of things. I would love to see you try to debate your point with Richard Stallman. :)
Richard would loose. If something is patented and you write an open-source version of it and put in the public, in no way you are eliminating the need for a patent license. If this were not the case, it would be so easy to bypass every patent in the world.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Richard would loose. If something is patented and you write an open-source version of it and put in the public, in no way you are eliminating the need for a patent license. If this were not the case, it would be so easy to bypass every patent in the world.

What is the patented "it" in this case?

Because the hypothesis upthread (post #1,446) wasn't about making an open source version of a patented thing, such as MQA.

It was simply saying that new codecs don't, necessarily, have to be patented / licensed by Dolby, DTS, Meridian, etc.

It's possible to implement new codecs in open source, as has been done before.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom