• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lenbrooke acquires MQA

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
”Lenbrook Corp., a diversified, privately-owned Canadian enterprise with activities in brand development, technology, and distribution in both residential and commercial audio and the communication sectors, has acquired the assets of MQA, a UK-based industry leader in high-resolution audio encoding.”

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess this means somebody thinks MQA is commercially viable. We shall see.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess this means somebody thinks MQA is commercially viable. We shall see.
No, not necessarily. For example, there may be some patents that are owned by MQA company that the new owner wants. There are a few reasons why MQA was not going to go into foreclosure, this being one.

Zensō

Major Contributor
“As one of MQA’s most significant licensees and also the owner of the award winning BluOS high-res content platform, Lenbrook is well positioned to build on what was started,” reflects Dowell. “Its BluOS platform work has proven that the Lenbrook team understands it takes a certain amount of neutrality to be a licensor, but it can also take a customer view when it comes to the wants and needs from a product development standpoint.”

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the translation will be that NAD and Bluesound are well position to integrate MQA into their products and hence motivate other vendors to also integrate MQA into their products

boxerfan88

Darn it. It still won’t die.
Lossless corrupting technology.

I can only hope for Tidal to continue its journey to convert all their MQA content back to 44k1 FLAC.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Oh.

Before they can use MQA they will have to deal with the bit that infringed the Blue Spike patent, I guess. They may be intending to add a streaming platform behind BluOS. Whatever.

I won't be buying any of their products if they do anything with MQA in its present form, other than bury it.

Last edited:

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Darn it. It still won’t die.
Lossless corrupting technology.

I can only hope for Tidal to continue its journey to convert all their MQA content back to 44k1 FLAC.
Actually they are replacing MQA with higher resolution FLAC, for whatever that's worth.

boxerfan88

Actually they are replacing MQA with higher resolution FLAC, for whatever that's worth.

That’s perfectly okay. I will be very happy to just get back the uncorrupted 44k1 FLAC for my standard HiFi subscription.

It’s definitely no fun listening to corrupted MQA when I have paid good money for the HiFi subscription.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Still so many 44.1khz 16 bit mqa files on tidal. Very annoying.

Plenty of those dumb mqa CDs get released as well.

Don't think it's going away any time soon.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could it be they want SCL6 for their wireless headphones more than caring about MQA?

PHD

It's a dead and useless technology. You're better off listening to lossy 320kbps Opus-encoded music, where you do get the dull 16-bit res, than listening to MQA.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any chance licenses to the music masters is what they are after?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
lenbrooke probably want the full spectrum

ie. the masters to the 'unfolding' tech and the would want it everywhere

in your mobile devices and headphones, streamers etc.

Top Bottom