• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lenbrooke acquires MQA

Zensō

Major Contributor
The problem with Apple is they tend to restrict everything to Apple hardware. It is not likely we will ever be able to stream Apple music with ROON.
In my opinion, this has nothing to do with Apple's walled garden policies. None of the major streamers will ever work with Roon because there's simply no incentive; the number of Roon users are less than a rounding error on their spreadsheets.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The problem with Apple is they tend to restrict everything to Apple hardware. It is not likely we will ever be able to stream Apple music with ROON.
I Mostly agree, that's why I said I didn't like the Apple corp.
OTOH, the lousy $100 I paid for my Apple 4k box was worth every penny,
Roon costs you near double that every year!
Besides the music, the Apple 4k box delivers the best quality video app streaming available today, Atmos & 5.1 sound, 4k & HDR, & all the rest.
Plus you can download Apple music in a browser just like the rest.
In the end you buy you ticket and take your ride.

OP
Mulder

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was just mentioning ROON as an example. There will probably be no other streaming hardware or software for Apple music whatsoever than Apples own software or hardware.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Besides the music, the Apple 4k box delivers the best quality video app streaming available today, Atmos & 5.1 sound, 4k & HDR, & all the rest.
Woot!
But wait there is more coming - beyond all those you mention - which will allow you to experience a more immersive... :confused:... experience. wink.gif
202309_TheNextExperience.jpg

Even Atmos was a fictional tech in the 4th/last episode of a 2008 BBC mini-SciFi series "Doctor Who".
It turns-out there were 2 parts to that last episode. By part2 sequel, there are hundreds of millions of cars equipped with "Atmos" devices that are poisoning humanity with some gas that is also the feed for clones
There will be clones and there will be sequels. What a roller-COSTer!
Hooligan B*st*rds and their Shenanigans!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Even Atmos was a fictional tech in the 4th/last episode of a 2008 BBC mini-SciFi series "Doctor Who".
I love Dr Who.
I've had all the classic Tom Baker episodes on the side waiting for the right time.
I guess something kicked a few weeks back since I started to watch the first few the other night.
Can't wait to see the 4 new David Tenneant episodes that are just around the corner before they
wank the show all up again .

Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor
I was just mentioning ROON as an example. There will probably be no other streaming hardware or software for Apple music whatsoever than Apples own software or hardware.

OP
Mulder

Mulder

Forum Donor
SURE. But typically I would not say that an Android cellphone is a HiFi device. Implicitly I thought we were talking about streaming services that cater to the needs of HiFi enthusiasts. And besides, Apple music on android is still Apple software.

OP
Mulder

Mulder

Forum Donor
OTOH, the lousy $100 I paid for my Apple 4k box was worth every penny,
Roon costs you near double that every year!
Yes. ROON is very expensive. I bought a lifetime licence when ROON was pretty new and didn´t pay much compared to the price today. If I was going to pay the prices of today I don´t think it would be worth it. But I don´t se how an Apple 4K can relplace ROON. (I do own an Apple box, but only use it for TV) However, if Tidal or Qobuz disapear, then I doubt there will be a future for HiFi among streaming services. I don´t think MQA did much for Tidals market-share. I think it was as much a sink as a success among hifi enthusiasts.

BillG

Major Contributor
SURE. But typically I would not say that an Android cellphone is a HiFi device. Implicitly I thought we were talking about streaming services that cater to the needs of HiFi enthusiasts. And besides, Apple music on android is still Apple software.

Android isn't exclusive to smartphones, as a number of DAPs and network media players run it. Regardless, many members (5,300+ as of today) of a forum I moderate that's dedicated to streaming use Android smartphones with external DAC-AMP dongles to drive headphones and IEMs in every price bracket.

OP
Mulder

Mulder

Forum Donor
Android isn't exclusive to smartphones, as a number of DAPs and network media players run it. Regardless, many members (5,300+ as of today) of a forum I moderate that's dedicated to streaming use Android smartphones with external DAC-AMP dongles to drive headphones and IEMs in every price bracket.
I'm guessing that probably few people outside of the HiFi world stream Tidal. (People in general even don´t know of Tidals exictence.) Tidal only has roughly 350,000 subscribers. I would guess that many HiFi-enthusiasts who have ROON for example also occasionally stream via their cellphones, and many of these have an Android phone. The proportion of subscribers to Tidal who exclusively use a cellphone or a DAP for listening to music is probably vanishingly small. Assuming these are double the number you mention, i.e. 10,000, then that's about 3 percent of Tidal's subscribers. As I wrote above. It is not the typical user-case. It's not enough to support a streaming service. It is doubtful whether even 350,000 will be enough in the long run. Apple probably isn't very interested in that group (or Android users) but they don't want to incur accusations of monopolizing markets, so their Android app is probably mostly there to fend off those kinds of arguments.

Last edited:

BillG

Major Contributor
I'm guessing that probably few people outside of the HiFi world stream Tidal...

It's highly dependent upon the demographics. In some countries, and among certain age groups, the exclusive use of personal audio is much more prevalent.

As for streaming services, that's a broader category than the familiar, major ones. We've numerous Internet Radio stations, regional services unknown to Europe and the US, and musician focused audio distribution platforms. Ex. Soundcloud, and Bandcamp.

Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor
However, if Tidal or Qobuz disapear, then I doubt there will be a future for HiFi among streaming services.
Apple, Amazon, and Deezer currently offer CD or better quality streaming and, if you believe the rumors, Spotify will soon follow. It’s only Roon users who would be in a pickle if Tidal and Qobuz go away.

Regarding Apple Music on non-Apple devices, there are plenty of alternatives; Android is not limited to cell phones (not that cell phones can’t be high fidelity), and there’s always Windows. At this point, AM is pretty much as widely accessible as any other streaming service, though it does run best—with deeper integration—within the Apple ecosystem.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
However, if Tidal or Qobuz disapear, then I doubt there will be a future for HiFi among streaming services.
What makes you say that?
AFAIK All the other streamers except Spotify (coming soon they say) are doing 16/44 or better today?
Are Qoduz or Tidal's digital files somehow better than the rest?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What makes you say that?
AFAIK All the other streamers except Spotify (coming soon they say) are doing 16/44 or better today?
Are Qoduz or Tidal's digital files somehow better than the rest?
Agree, I think hi-rez will continue to increase (for better or worse) because so many audio brands have invested so much marketing in the idea that higher numbers sound better over the years, that it's filtered into the mainstream. Black and gold "High definition" stickers have become a generic mark of quality on any bit of electronics you care to name.

Mainstream consumers are just as susceptible to "high end" snake oil as dyed-in-the-wool audiophiles... (remember how much Best Buy and Monster Cable made, some years back?) they're just not as obsessed with audio. But they'll seek "higher quality" audio, to an extent, whenever it's offered.

Maybe that was MQA's mistake, they relied exclusively on vague assertions of quality rather than just pumping big numbers at people.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know which is funnier: A dog or a cat chasing its own tail.
Arguing the pleasures of - streaming via Apple/Android - music seems even funnier than chasing a tail.

What exactly is wrong with simply owning your DIY local library of music along with a capable portable media player/DAC to feed that music to any device you desire?
"My ROON is better than your ATMOS" dives into noise floor and allows more music listening than wasting one's time f*cking around w/such sh*t!:mad:
...However, if Tidal or Qobuz disapear, then I doubt there will be a future for HiFi among streaming services.
Bring it on!:facepalm:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bring it on!:facepalm:
In a way, I hope this doesn't happen.

It's sort of like how landmark free speech cases always hinge on the most offensive / objectionable content around. The worst of it makes space for everything else.

So if people keep demanding 24/96 lossless or something (even more) stupid, at least 16/44 is safe.

If people stop caring about sound quality altogether, then maybe we go back to 192 or even 128 MP3 quality. Maybe the loudness wars start back up again. Who knows?

Let the high-res nonsense shout for attention and at least useful levels of quality will not end up on the chopping block. :)

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

I don't know which is funnier: A dog or a cat chasing its own tail.
Arguing the pleasures of - streaming via Apple/Android - music seems even funnier than chasing a tail.
Y'all don't seem to even grasp the point of my question here?
And it had nothing to do with the ultra high data rates.
The replys have run off the tracks?
Why if Tidal and Qobuz disappeared, would no one be interested in 16/44 Redbook quality?
Were T & Q customers the only people on earth interested in lossless quality streaming?
Are Roon customers the only people on earth interested in lossless quality streaming?
Or do you believe only better than Redbook is HiFi?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1)Y'all don't seem to even grasp the point of my question here?
2)And it had nothing to do with the ultra high data rates.
3)The replys have run off the tracks?
4)Why if Tidal and Qobuz disappeared, would no one be interested in 16/44 Redbook quality?
5)Were T & Q customers the only people on earth interested in lossless quality streaming?
6)Are Roon customers the only people on earth interested in lossless quality streaming?
7)Or do you believe only better than Redbook is HiFi?
1)Why are you quoting me?:oops:
2)I am in the camp that will opt for highER data-rates, if the choice is/was available.
3)You also ran off the track when you posted that you liked DoctorWho [me too].
4/5)[Those are a leading questions] But YES NO, someone would still be interested in RedBook quality, if they cannot afford the highER quality.
6)I never had any use for MQA or for music-as-streaming-service and pay-per-play-music. But NO, they are not the only ones!
7)I had believed that even vinyl was HiFi... back in the day.

Hope you sleep better tonight since someone answered your questions before bed!:)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Because your answer made no sense to me, and had nothing to do with the question I posed to @Mulder
I am guessing that my time replying to your concerns was wasted and did not allow you to sleep any better last night, as intended.
I apologize.:facepalm:

Top Bottom