• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually there are already LP's released in MQA. I assume the digital master files were MQA'd for the vinyl.

LOL!

Fonzie_jumps_the_shark.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Actually there are already LP's released in MQA. I assume the digital master files were MQA'd for the vinyl.

Like This one ?
They don't need a decoder though and the difficulty seems to have been the ripping of the original master.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
ROTFLMAO. Do we need any further proof that MQA is more about Stuart's greed and desire to milk the music listening world than anything else. :)

Cosmik

Major Contributor
If it becomes ubiquitous, it means the consumer has spoken and wants it. In that case, that is it and we better not complain. :)
Does this mean that the entire Wikipedia article on Microsoft's anti-competitive abuses is a mirage?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_litigation

It starts here and goes on for quite a few pages:
In the 1990s, Microsoft adopted exclusionary licensing under which PC manufacturers were required to pay for an MS-DOS license even when the system shipped with an alternative operating system. Critics attest that it also used predatory tactics to price its competitors out of the market and that Microsoft erected technical barriers to make it appear that competing products did not work on its operating system...

Cosmik

Major Contributor
In one objective sentence, please.

What is the problem that MQA is solving?
It is a multi-pronged psychological crutch in answer to the various audiophile myths that digital audio is flawed, plus an answer to the problem that has haunted the record labels since the public got hold of the means to clone digital recordings.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
In one objective sentence, please.

What is the problem that MQA is solving?

It solves 2 1 problems... it ensures income for MQA and it lowers bandwidth related costs for streaming services *
The consumer pays the bill and does not benefit other than being told they do which is worth something to some.

From a business point of view MQA is a brilliant scheme.

* see post #912

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
It solves 2 problems... it ensures income for MQA and it lowers bandwidth related costs for streaming services.
The consumer pays the bill and does not benefit other than being told they do which is worth something to some.

From a business point of view MQA is a brilliant scheme.

What are the bandwidth savings compared to existing lossless compression formats?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What are the bandwidth savings compared to existing lossless compression formats?

In direct relation to file size between MQA and 192/24 or other Hires formats ?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Shouldn't compare it to 192. It is never any real version other than upsampled 96 khz to 192. It is possibly some version of 96 khz at best. Everything above 24 khz (48khz sample rate) is lossy.

I think it has been shown 96 khz 20 bit FLAC is around the same size and not lossy. (edited to correct this. I should have said 96 khz 18 bit FLAC).

You believe in 192 khz, this is never that. Though it will show it is that. You believe in 96 khz, this is a partly lossy version of that. I consider it the most BS format ever. And BS doesn't stand for Bob Stewart.

If there ever was something that qualified as a solution in search of a problem, this is it.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor

In relation to those who demand better than RBCD - very few consumers.

I think it is an insignificant market population but am happy to be disabused of my opinion.

Dolby actually made a significant(measurable) improvement in Compact Cassette performance

solderdude

Grand Contributor
In relation to those who demand better than RBCD - very few consumers.

Indeed the percentage of streamed music that wants anything above MP3 will be very small. When one is paying the bills for millions of uploads a day it could still be interesting for them ?
I suppose someone knows the actual numbers ?

Wombat

Master Contributor
So, savings on bandwidth costs for internet streaming providers offering a marketed(profitable) digital format that few need but will pay for the proprietary costs.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Like you I don't know the hard facts.
Could still be worthwhile to them.
If not why would they offer it if there is no financial gain ?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like you I don't know the hard facts.
Could still be worthwhile to them.
If not why would they offer it if there is no financial gain ?

Again - what is the real bandwidth saving? The financial gain is in customer-lock in and product differentiation.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My biggest concern is simply with what I've seen happen with every other DRM attempt made in any industry thus far... the paying customer loses out significantly (in portability, durability, or other areas) and the piracy continues unabated. In movies this hasn't changed the amount of piracy much - possibly a little - but it has made HDMI handshaking issues a rather frequent annoyance on all fronts (including when just watching TV sometimes). In software, I can't count the number of times a DRM key server going down has prevented me from being able to use software I purchased. Now I'll soon be able to be in the enviable position of buying music which becomes MP3 quality if my dedicated, appropriately licensed device goes down and I have to listen on something else? Yay! :facepalm:
I cannot get on board with the MQA DRM conspiracy theory, the truth is the market is nearly all streaming these days, and that is all proper DRM, and they can change it to another stronger DRM anytime they chose, just roll out new clients, not this week degrade the listening quality style DRM.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Again - what is the real bandwidth saving? The financial gain is in customer-lock in and product differentiation.

Have a look here

http://www.2l.no/hires/

so let's say in the ballpark of 40% vs 24/96 (way more vs 24/192 obviously, but as it was said above, 24/192 isn't 24/192 in most cases anyway, and certainly not when unfolded by MQA. Note: compression depends a lot on the actual content of a file (actual content and also - in some cases mostly - noise)

One could agree that a 40% bandwidth reduction is worth something to an operator who has significant costs there, but it is hard to say if the bulk of their costs lies there, or in the data centers, or in music-licensing, or employee costs etc... It doesn't matter to companies like Amazon anyway, as they have just been building excess capacity for years and found creative ways to market that. Does it matter for customers? Maybe on some limited data plans but, having hi-res on the move doesn't seem essential to me. I can tell 320Mbps from CD quality on my home systems on the music I know well (and that in itself is somewhat controversial for many), can't objectively hear differences between 24/96 and CD quality unless I am explicitly told what to look for or the mastering is really different or I "train" myself on a specific file. That's with a decent home system. As far as mobile listening is concerned, 320kbps MP3 is perfectly OK - I usually walk, ride or bike and do not meditate in a silent remote mountain temple with a 2k EUR headphone set ;)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Have a look here

http://www.2l.no/hires/

so let's say in the ballpark of 40% vs 24/96 (way more vs 24/192 obviously, but as it was said above, 24/192 isn't 24/192 in most cases anyway, and certainly not when unfolded by MQA. Note: compression depends a lot on the actual content of a file (actual content and also - in some cases mostly - noise)

One could agree that a 40% bandwidth reduction is worth something to an operator who has significant costs there, but it is hard to say if the bulk of their costs lies there, or in the data centers, or in music-licensing, or employee costs etc... It doesn't matter to companies like Amazon anyway, as they have just been building excess capacity for years and found creative ways to market that. Does it matter for customers? Maybe on some limited data plans but, having hi-res on the move doesn't seem essential to me. I can tell 320Mbps from CD quality on my home systems on the music I know well (and that in itself is somewhat controversial for many), can't objectively hear differences between 24/96 and CD quality unless I am explicitly told what to look for or the mastering is really different or I "train" myself on a specific file. That's with a decent home system. As far as mobile listening is concerned, 320kbps MP3 is perfectly OK - I usually walk, ride or bike and do not meditate in a silent remote mountain temple with a 2k EUR headphone set ;)

Can't see FLAC in the table.

De-blur is put forward. Has it been defined and heard in listening tests?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom