• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu M4 Audio Interface Review

Gzom

Attachments

• PXL_20220424_151141281.jpg
    PXL_20220424_151141281.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 255

MCH

Major Contributor
Guys, just received my mew M4 from Thomann.de and.... it is v1!!! (One screw per front input, assembled in USA and firmware 1.xxxx)
Something to worry about? Should i return it? What are the compatibility issues if any?

137tmxth

Thank you for information, but I don't have ability to change my post to delete my sticker picture at this moment :/
I am registred on Motu website, so I guess it doesn't matter ?
Yeah if you already used your serial it probably doesn't matter much.

Guys, just received my mew M4 from Thomann.de and.... it is v1!!! (One screw per front input, assembled in USA and firmware 1.xxxx)
Something to worry about? Should i return it? What are the compatibility issues if any?
Interesting, I ordered from them almost a year ago and already got something newer. Is the copyright date on bottom also something else than "2019-2021" or "2020, 2019"? Maybe "2019" only?

Rev1 measures very sligtly worse in most aspects compared to newer revisions due to the older chips used. Probably not really something to worry about though, after all rev1 already got praise in the first post of this thread and elsewhere on the Internet.

At least on some systems, rev1 may be capable of lower (=better) latencies than the newer units, as a smaller buffer size can be used without the audio glitching.

For rev1, officially Windows 7 compatible and signed drivers are available. For rev2 and rev3 there is no such thing though the newer drivers seem to work fine in Win7 if you manually install them via device manager ignoring warnings about missing digital signatures (signatures recognized by Win7 anyway). So rev1 is more compatible in that respect.

There's a little workaround in Linux ALSA code which only applies to rev1, a delay of 2 seconds before any audio data is sent after powerup / USB connection. This shouldn't cause other problems than glitchy audio for the first few seconds though if you connect rev1 to a host which isn't aware of this bug/limitation, and it's possible a firmware update may have fixed it anyway.

I don't know if anyone is going to do any firmware mods regardless (perhaps filters could be customized, or a sample rate display could be added to the LCD, or other little things), but they'd be easier to make for rev2 and rev3 because they have an ARM core for the main CPU. Rev1 uses a strange XMOS xCore thing instead, with a weird instruction set and less tools available than there's for ARM. (at least I know I'd rather work with rev2 & rev3 if I attempted to hack the firmware :)) So that's a little theoretical benefit of rev2 and rev3.

Reactions: MCH

MCH

Major Contributor
Yeah if you already used your serial it probably doesn't matter much.

Interesting, I ordered from them almost a year ago and already got something newer. Is the copyright date on bottom also something else than "2019-2021" or "2020, 2019"? Maybe "2019" only?

Rev1 measures very sligtly worse in most aspects compared to newer revisions due to the older chips used. Probably not really something to worry about though, after all rev1 already got praise in the first post of this thread and elsewhere on the Internet.

At least on some systems, rev1 may be capable of lower (=better) latencies than the newer units, as a smaller buffer size can be used without the audio glitching.

For rev1, officially Windows 7 compatible and signed drivers are available. For rev2 and rev3 there is no such thing though the newer drivers seem to work fine in Win7 if you manually install them via device manager ignoring warnings about missing digital signatures (signatures recognized by Win7 anyway). So rev1 is more compatible in that respect.

There's a little workaround in Linux ALSA code which only applies to rev1, a delay of 2 seconds before any audio data is sent after powerup / USB connection. This shouldn't cause other problems than glitchy audio for the first few seconds though if you connect rev1 to a host which isn't aware of this bug/limitation, and it's possible a firmware update may have fixed it anyway.

I don't know if anyone is going to do any firmware mods regardless (perhaps filters could be customized, or a sample rate display could be added to the LCD, or other little things), but they'd be easier to make for rev2 and rev3 because they have an ARM core for the main CPU. Rev1 uses a strange XMOS xCore thing instead, with a weird instruction set and less tools available than there's for ARM. (at least I know I'd rather work with rev2 & rev3 if I attempted to hack the firmware :)) So that's a little theoretical benefit of rev2 and rev3.
Thank you for the summary. Much appreciated.
I have decided to return it anyways because i thought that if i want to sell it down the line in a couple of years it could be more difficult with v1.

The sticker does not have any copyright information, just some compliancy text and logos, the serial and "assembled in usa" message.

Besides all that, and this is just curiosity. I wonder how v2 and v3 deal with the "imd hump". Amir measured v1 and the hump is almost the only issue he found. Is there any evidence that v2 or 3 corrected this?

agent_x007

Well, my and Gzom's v3s have "CJ", and 137tmxth's (probable ?) v2 is "CC".
Since your's "YG" maybe we have another way to tell what version of Motu we have ?
This may be important, since both "SN:" and "DOM:" values can be seen on sticker outside the box.
In which case, you don't have to open it, to know which version is inside (at least my box has sticker with them).

Last edited:

isabido

For me, the most important thing is the bad response that I am getting in front inputs 1-2. I think it's not a fault with my unit and it's something generic from the latest revisions.

I leave you a link where I have published some measurements, made with REW that you can do yourself to check your cards.

137tmxth

For me, the most important thing is the bad response that I am getting in front inputs 1-2. I think it's not a fault with my unit and it's something generic from the latest revisions.

Have you tested rev1 also to verify it's any better?

Well, for what it's worth: I've noticed that capturing audio from an old Roland synth I have via inputs 1-2 sounds off. The synth outputs single ended line level signals only. I think consumer level too instead of professional, it's too quiet without applying some gain especially relative to PC audio.

Can't quite describe it in words (English isn't my 1st language), but it certainly sounds wrong and different vs. inputs 3-4 and pretty much everything else, including the synth's builtin headphone output.

I knew those "mic/line/instrument" combo inputs wouldn't be optimal for capturing line level signals which is why I went for a M4 instead of a M2 in the first place, but IIRC the front "mic/inst" (yeah not even labeled for "line" use officially) inputs on my old FireWire interface (M-Audio ProFire 610) didn't sound THIS bad with various (consumer) line level devices. I'd need to dig it out and listen to it again to be sure though, and also try the M4's front inputs with different cables. (edit: and maybe more line sources too)

Last edited:

isabido

HI @137tmxth, my english is also bad, I'm writing from Spain, but I think we can understand each other.

I only have version v3. You could do the test using REW, and with a JACK TRS cable from output 3 to input 1 or 2.

If you want to try I will leave you some screenshots of how to configure REW to try although it is very simple.

Preference --- > Calibrate Soundcard and select output 3 and input 1.

dtrd_pixl

Greetings!

I recently got my Motu M4 (v3), and wanted to know if anybody else got the input meters going up showing in the LCD screen after turning the mic pre-amps around 4 o'clock and above without a signal connected. Is this normal behaviour from the interface?

Thanks in Advance!
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-03 at 9.58.42 AM.jpeg

Edit: Also, does anybody know if this unit version has enough gain for an SM7B?

Last edited:

isabido

Same symptom you are taking the gain of the preamplifiers to the maximum. In my opinion this is normal.

Attachments

• 6A864CFE-D4F8-45F6-9D05-310116749D93.jpeg
    6A864CFE-D4F8-45F6-9D05-310116749D93.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 109

dtrd_pixl

Same symptom you are taking the gain of the preamplifiers to the maximum. In my opinion this is normal.
Aight, thx! Was asking cuz this is my 1st interface and I thought the Gain noise wouldn’t show in the LCD meters.

isabido

Aight, thx! Was asking cuz this is my 1st interface and I thought the Gain noise wouldn’t show in the LCD meters.
Since you are, you could run a loopback measurement to see if it is affected by the same problem that I have mentioned before. With REW it is very simple if you need it I will explain how to do it.

dtrd_pixl

Since you are, you could run a loopback measurement to see if it is affected by the same problem that I have mentioned before. With REW it is very simple if you need it I will explain how to do it.
Sure! I actually wanted to test the loopback measurement too since I saw that thread. I only have one set of unbalanced cables, so I would appreciate an explanation on how to do it. :D

Saludos!/Regards!

Last edited:

pier25

Hi everyone!

So I got my M4 and I've been very impressed by the DAC and headphones amp. I know it's not super high end but I've never owned a dedicated DAC + amp before and only owned budget audio interfaces.

I use my M4 in the studio but I'd like to have a similar quality in my other computer without having to move the M4 back and forth.

Would a FiiO K3 or a combo from Schiit (eg: Fulla) do the job or would I need to spend a lot more?

isabido

I have requested it in another post, but I leave it here too.

Please, I would need some colleague who has the most recent hardware version purchased recently, to perform a loopback measurement between output 3 and input 1. I would like to rule out that my own card had any problem in order to make a return.

If you need help to perform this test I will be happy to help.

Let's see if together we can find out if Motu has made any design errors in these latest hardware changes. Thank you

isabido

The puzzle is now solved!

The INPUT 1 jack must be a high-impedance instrument-only input, I was using a JACK-JACK cable.

I've tried using the XLR connector, and now you do get a decent response. Not as good as INPUT 3, but it makes sense!

Be careful using INPUT 1 XLR, as line input, because if we press phantom power we can cause a problem.

index.php

Top Bottom