• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu M4 Audio Interface Review

weesch

hi
if i had money....
i would take this microphone :
best regards
weesch

Buckster

I see a new download on MOTU website (I think new) - but can't tell if actually any new Firmware available ?

MOTU M-Series Universal Firmware Updater - and its dated 30/11/2021

was that there before ? don't remember seeing it but might have missed it

Reactions: trl

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
I see a new download on MOTU website (I think new) - but can't tell if actually any new Firmware available ?

MOTU M-Series Universal Firmware Updater - and its dated 30/11/2021

was that there before ? don't remember seeing it but might have missed it
No, I didn't see it before. Just updated to 2.0.1. So far so good.

sharpty

Just tried the firmware update on my 1st gen M4 and it wouldn't recognize it using the Windows utility. Tried it on Mac and it was recognized, but says no update available. So I'm assuming this only applies to the 2nd gen models.

1638482752288.png

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
Just tried the firmware update on my 1st gen M4 and it wouldn't recognize it using the Windows utility. Tried it on Mac and it was recognized, but says no update available. So I'm assuming this only applies to the 2nd gen models.

View attachment 169745
In Windows 10, I got the same message and resolved it by turning off and on the device while the updater is running. I have a v2 though.

sharpty

I don't understand o_O
Same issue here.... Tried but failed.

If you have an original M2/M4 with the XMOS controller, I don't think there is any firmware update. It seems to only apply to the v2 models.

I believe you can tell which one you have by looking at the Motu driver app. 1.xx firmware is the original XMOS design, 2.xx is the newer v2 design.

1638561619067.png

No matter what I try, it's not recognized by the Windows firmware tool. On Mac, it is recognized but says no update.

Screen_Shot_2021-12-02_at_6.22.27_PM.png

Trell

Major Contributor
If you have an original M2/M4 with the XMOS controller, I don't think there is any firmware update. It seems to only apply to the v2 models.

I believe you can tell which one you have by looking at the Motu driver app. 1.xx firmware is the original XMOS design, 2.xx is the newer v2 design.

View attachment 169968

No matter what I try, it's not recognized by the Windows firmware tool. On Mac, it is recognized but says no update.

View attachment 169969
Motu has no change-list listed for M2/M4 on their firmware page nor any public downloads. I can see the firmware updater when I login on Muto for my v1 but apparently it has issues potentially bricking my M2.

Last edited:

oversorrow

View attachment 169968

View attachment 169969
There is a V2 version??? What's the difference between those two? That's unfair, I feel cheated.:confused:

Feargal

When was the v2 released, and are the M2 and or M4 tested by Amir v1 or v2 ? We must know!!
(I'll catch up on the thread from #385 onwards)

oversorrow

When was the v2 released, and are the M2 and or M4 tested by Amir v1 or v2 ? We must know!!
(I'll catch up on the thread from #385 onwards)
Amir tested V1 I think.
By the way I think that behavior is pretty disgusting (changed components without informing consumers).

Feargal

It does seem rather strange. If there was a performance improvement then surely they'd advertise the fact it's a version increment?

Last edited:

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning

View attachment 169968

View attachment 169969
Indeed, upon checking mine is 1.02

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Btw, does anyone know how I can use my M2 to measure music files for comparison? I tried posting a new thread a while back but nobody has replied

AllanDavidson

Motu M2/M4 are now 2 years old, and yet there's no competitor with the same qualities/features around the same price.

More competent products are either way more expensive and not BUS-powered (Ultralite MK5, AXE I/O, Apollo Duo), or lack in features/performance (Audient Evo)

I think the closest competitor M2/M4 have are the ID4/ID14 mk2

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Btw, does anyone know how I can use my M2 to measure music files for comparison? I tried posting a new thread a while back but nobody has replied
Yes you can. You can use pkane's Deltawave.

If you have questions just ask maybe in your other thread (I may have posted to that one). Maybe use the @ symbol with a user name to get someone's attention. For instance @Blumlein 88 means next time I log on, I get a notice directing me to the post. Or for instance @phoenixsong

Here is a long running thread about its evolution and how to use it. Too much to read all at once, though searching for terms with in that thread is useful. But ask questions and a few us may answer or you can ask Paul (pkane) as well.

Last edited:

buedi

Hi everyone,

probably a stupid question everyone knows an answer to, except me. But i hope you can help me out here :)

I got myself a Motu M4 today and one of the devices I want to connect to it is my V-Moda Crossfade M-100 Master Headphones with the V-Moda Boom Microphone.
The Boom Mic plugs in right into the Headset and has a TRRS jack. The set also included a TRRS to 2xTRS converter, which I used for quite a while now with my other equipment (a Logitech USB sound adapter and with my internal soundchip from my mainboard) without any issues.

I got the M4 today and thought I can just use those two 3.5mm TRS jacks I have from the V-Moda converter, plug them into a 1/4" TRS each and connect it to the M4. I had 2 issues:

1. When I only connect the TRS part for the headphones and leave the TRS part of the mic out, the sound of the M4 is like it has a high pass filter. It does not sound distorted, but only high frequencies get through. As soon as I plug in the TRS part of the Mic into Line 1 or 2 of the M4, the Headphones get the full frequency range and I must admit, they sound fantastic on the M4.

2. I get no Mic in signal at all, on neither of the 4 Line ins in the M4. I tried another Headset I have with the same problem. Now before I bought the M4 I studied the datasheet and it looked to me that the 2 combo XLR / TRS inputs in the front support up to 3.6V to whatever is plugged in. So I thought my V-Moda Boom Mic should work, but it does nothing. I have an old Sennheiser Headset with 2 separate TRS plugs for Mic and Phones and I have the same problem with that one.

I now wonder if I need a Rode VXLR+ to plug my TRS Mics into the XLR inputs, but then I wonder what the 3.6V on the TRS plug are for. Will the adapter solve my problem here and I just interpret the data sheet of the M4 wrong?

I would love to keep all my gear and the new M4, but before I order more stuff I thought now is the time to ask, because of what I have read and learned so far, it seems I interpreted some information wrong :-(

Stratocaster

I now wonder if I need a Rode VXLR+ to plug my TRS Mics into the XLR inputs, but then I wonder what the 3.6V on the TRS plug are for. Will the adapter solve my problem here and I just interpret the data sheet of the M4 wrong?

That would be exactly would you need.

The microphone you have is a consumer grade PC headset microphone (soundblaster standard) which works different than phantom powered studio grade mics. Therefore you'll need to put an adapter like the VXLR+ into your XLR Port to convert your usual 48V of phantom power into 3.6V needed for the Boom-Mic. The XLR ports in front of you M4 do only support constant 48V, i guess you could damage your mic if you would try to operate it directly on the M4s phantom power.

If you want to use normal PC headsets with "Pro Audio" equipment like audio interfaces you need the right adapters for it to work properly.
Another solution would be to get a broadcasting headset (e.g. Sennheiser HMD / HME series) like used on television or radio with XLR mics and TRS headphones. For those there would be no adapters necessary.

So yeah, the easiest and cheapest solution in your case probably would be to use your TRRS to 2x TRS adapter and buy a VXLR+ for the XLR port and your mics TRS and use a 1/4" adapter for the headphone out of your M4.

1. When I only connect the TRS part for the headphones and leave the TRS part of the mic out, the sound of the M4 is like it has a high pass filter. It does not sound distorted, but only high frequencies get through. As soon as I plug in the TRS part of the Mic into Line 1 or 2 of the M4, the Headphones get the full frequency range and I must admit, they sound fantastic on the M4.

This behaviour sounds strange to me. In general you should be able to only use your headphones TRS on the M4s headphone out without the need to also plug your mic into the unit. Maybe there is something wrong with your TTRS adapter or the wiring of these things is different than i would expect. Maybe some grounding issue, i don't know. I have never used a TRRS adapter before. Does the Sennheiser Headset behave the same in this regard?

Top Bottom