• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu M4 Audio Interface Review

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I'm soooo glad they added 2048 and 4096 at the 44.1 and 48khz settings, really need those when working on big projects at the end and buffer needs maxed.
2048 samples is the kind of buffer size that we would have used in the middle ages with Pentium III class systems. I'd be having a look at Task Manager to see what is having to work so hard. Things can bog down really bad when you're either running out of memory (and the system is paging like crazy) or are I/O bound. Having enough RAM and an SSD definitely never hurt anyone.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
2048 samples is the kind of buffer size that we would have used in the middle ages with Pentium III class systems. I'd be having a look at Task Manager to see what is having to work so hard. Things can bog down really bad when you're either running out of memory (and the system is paging like crazy) or are I/O bound. Having enough RAM and an SSD definitely never hurt anyone.

The computer's fine, that's just the kind of load you deal with when writing the sort of stuff I do (e.g. Disclosure, Bonobo), lots generators and keeping as much stuff real time as possible.

buedi

So I got the Rode VXLR+ recently and I must say I am not happy with it. I could have known, did I dig deeper in this thread before ordering it. As others pointed out, the Rode VXLR+ on the MOTU is introducing a ridiculous high noise floor.

In my setup (MOTU M4, Rode VXLR+, V-Moda Crossfade M100 Master + V-Moda Boom Mic and TRRS to 2xTRS split cable) I got really noticable noise floor at around the 12 o'clock position with input gain, But since that was not enough to get a high enough input level for the V-Moda Boom Mic, I had to rise gain to about 2-3 o'clock position and it sounded like I was recording in pouring rain.
As others have mentioned also, the fun part is: If you only plug in the Rode VXLR+ and plug in no Mic to it, as soon as you enable P48, the noise floor is there. So it is not introduced by the Microphone.

I wanted to do one last test bevore getting rid of everything, so I ordered the insanely expensive Rode VXLR Pro and oh wonder. No noise floor. I can crank up the input gain until everything clips badly and I can not hear any noise floor.
Yup, the MOTUs seem to be incompatible with the general "cheaper" XLR to TRS adapters for some odd reason. So if you plan to use TRS microphones, be prepared to spend quite a bit more money on your setup.

Although pretty expensive, I will keep everything how it is now, because I am very happy with the sound quality, build quality and the handling / function. Also the drivers seem to be very stable and I had zero issues getting the unit working on my Windows 10 PC.

Oh, and to this day no response from MOTU, the local Distributor nor the shop where I bought it about the 3.6 V Output on the TRS part of the XLR/TRS part. It is obviously wrong in the manual now that I studied the manuals and tech specs of other similar devices, but I wonder why it is so difficult to get an answer. I hope things work out OK if the unit gets a problem while in warranty and people communicate.

mightycicadalord

Hmm the vxlr pro is cheap, idk about insanely expensive. I'm sure you considered this but why not just get a regular ole xlr mic? I've had a few buddies ask me about getting their TRS/TRRS mics into their pro interfaces, usually just tell them to avoid the hassle and get an xlr mic. I tried to get a Dayton IMM-6 to work on an interface pre, gave up after a few adapters didn't work.

Motu is kind of weird about they response I've found. Sometimes they go above and beyond to help me out, other times I just get silence ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trell

Major Contributor
Hmm the vxlr pro is cheap, idk about insanely expensive. I'm sure you considered this but why not just get a regular ole xlr mic? I've had a few buddies ask me about getting their TRS/TRRS mics into their pro interfaces, usually just tell them to avoid the hassle and get an xlr mic. I tried to get a Dayton IMM-6 to work on an interface pre, gave up after a few adapters didn't work.

Motu is kind of weird about they response I've found. Sometimes they go above and beyond to help me out, other times I just get silence ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To use a lavalier mic?

sharpty

I tried to get a Dayton IMM-6 to work on an interface pre, gave up after a few adapters didn't work.
My solution for using the IMM-6 on PC was to get an Apple USB-C dongle and USB-C to A adapter, then used a USB extension cable rather than extending the TRRS. The ADC should be adequate for any room measurements.

mightycicadalord

Connecting a lavalier mic directly to an audio interface you need something like the vxlr pro.

Sure, I wasn't saying otherwise though.

Though it depends on the lav, vxlr stuff is for cheaper lavs terminating to 3.5mm, has a transformer. Pro lavs generally just have mini-xlr or something like what DPA uses with their little screw on/adapter combo thing. I've got a fat xlr to mini xlr cable that I use at home sometimes because who can afford a wireless pack and receiver? Though I really wish I had one the rack units and packs from work, just to send signal wherever I want to.

mightycicadalord

Meh, been having some issues with WDM playback, getting random crackles and distortion.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
As others have mentioned also, the fun part is: If you only plug in the Rode VXLR+ and plug in no Mic to it, as soon as you enable P48, the noise floor is there. So it is not introduced by the Microphone.
My hunch says that the more basic adapter may be defeating input CMRR and thus making a somewhat noisy P48V supply heard. If so, shorting either XLR input pin 2 or 3 to pin 1 (P48V off!) should yield similar results, and there should be a major difference in noise floor with phantom power turn off or on then.

Phantom power on the MOTU is a bit eccentric anyway, remember the odd subsonic oscillation that @Julian Krause found under some conditions?

tackleberry

For people who are unhappy with the audio out of the m4. What would be reasonable upgrades to the Motu M4?

phoenixsong

For people who are unhappy with the audio out of the m4. What would be reasonable upgrades to the Motu M4?
Within the same brand, probably the Ultralite Mk5? Unless they are not happy because they are intentionally seeking distortion in their sound

Trell

Major Contributor
Talking about the audio-out / the sound I get via my headphones.

The headphone amp is fairly weak on that one, but that is common for many audio interfaces. You could get an external headphone amp and connect to it.

tackleberry

What headphones are you using?
Philips SHP9500S

I also tried the AKG 712 Pro on the Motu M4. It also sounded so terrible, I had to sell the Headphones and stay with the Philips. I am also considering to get Sennheiser HD 800 S in the future since they are the only valid upgrade option after the AKG 712 Pro...

mightycicadalord

Unless the headphone out on the m4 is defective, a different amp isn't going to fix your problem. The Philips are AKG's are super easy to drive headphones.

HD800 s only valid upgrade of 712? I'm lost...
Philips SHP9500S

I also tried the AKG 712 Pro on the Motu M4. It also sounded so terrible, I had to sell the Headphones and stay with the Philips. I am also considering to get Sennheiser HD 800 S in the future since they are the only valid upgrade option after the AKG 712 Pro...

phoenixsong

I have heard of complaints that the Motu M series is unable to properly drive the AKG K7-- series; however, the Philips should be fine. Maybe it's time to identify what it is that you dislike about the sound? It would be easier to correct things for you then.

Also, about the HD800s being the only valid upgrade after the K712pro... Maybe it is, if you're after a stretched soundstage and non-Harman signature. I have heard both, and indeed in some areas they are somewhat alike

Top Bottom