• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

... since I'm more of a "form follows function" aesthetic, I like speakers that simply look like speakers that are beautiful, but there's a limit to what you can do with that look performance-wise:
devore_g4.jpg

The Bubinga veneer looks good. The 3D illusion and glow of that wood is really fascinating, especially when viewed from different angles.

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Wharfdale Linton looks nice, especially with the grills on, which is apparently how they are supposed to be used and sound best, together with their dedicated stands:

View attachment 357602

Or perhaps the bigger Dovedale:
Oh I'm not having trouble finding speakers I like- I collect old Snell's when walnut veneers were still king. That said, I have a pair of Linton's in my library that I built custom stands for that look very nice but that I plan to sell in exchange for something more "endgame" when I find it or build it. But I would I agree that the Linton's are one of the best buys right now in terms of a balance between performance, cost, and classic good looks, especially if your wife's preferred aesthetic is Danish modern. :)

Last edited:

Waxx

Major Contributor
KLH model 5 also has the vintage furniture look .

And actually KEF R series in valnut veneer or thier reference series in wood finish.
You usually only see the horrible white finish in most adds.

There are other offering wood finish to but maybe they are not as beautiful furniture quality as speakers was in th wood days .
It's veneer, not real wood. I'm talking about using real wood or at least plywood in stead of plastic, mdf and so. Veneered mdf can be nice, but it's not the same as real (ply)wood, nicely finished to a high level. That is where i may pay a extra price for, not for those glossy blingy speakers that are sold today, nor for the utility look of most pro audio speakers (including studio monitors).

cavedriver

It's veneer, not real wood. I'm talking about using real wood or at least plywood in stead of plastic, mdf and so. Veneered mdf can be nice, but it's not the same as real (ply)wood, nicely finished to a high level. That is where i may pay a extra price for, not for those glossy blingy speakers that are sold today, nor for the utility look of most pro audio speakers (including studio monitors).
you might want to read up on the discussions re solid wood vs plywood vs mdf for speaker construction, but you probably already know solid wood is horrible for making speakers because of the resonance. multi-ply baltic birch plywood is fairly common and has a surface that can be finished to a reasonably good look (check out Troels Gravesen's builds in Denmark), but that may not be what you're thinking of. Of course you could build an MDF inner box, coat it in elastomer and cover it in real wood panels, but again, it would be a shell and the end grain structure of the wood could not be displayed the way you would use it in classic furniture construction. Or maybe go the BBC route with thin wood walls, although I'm not sure if solid wood would work for the technique they are using there to keep resonances inaudible. You could also build an open baffle speaker where the face panel isn't pressurized and therefore less driven to resonate. Some people are building OB speakers using large chunks of live edge hardwoods. Maybe someone can think of a more "real wood" speaker that was successful in terms of measured performance?

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Wharfdale Linton looks nice, especially with the grills on, which is apparently how they are supposed to be used and sound best, together with their dedicated stands:

View attachment 357602

Seem to sound good too: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/wharfedale_linton_85/

Or perhaps the bigger Dovedale:

View attachment 357603

Essentially I agree with you.
BTW, on this thread, have we discussed about Spendor's latest Classic series, especially Classic 200 and 200Ti?
2024-03-20 054833.png

2024-03-20 055306.png

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Why they don't make speakers that look like this anymore. This is furniture quality build.

PR-100.jpg

It's a Jensen Imperial PR-100, released in 1956, it needs 35w in 16R and is off course not up to modern standard, but i'm sure modern speakers can be build that way. It would be much easier to integrate in a living room without protest from the family i think in stead of those plastic boxes or bling hi end stuff.
Only if your living room dates from 1956.

Drengur

Forum Donor
During the last ten pages you people have managed to absolutely go, without the slightest hint of remorse, in the perfect opposite direction of what the title of this thread explicitly states as its purpose. The last couple of minutes I have, against my will, undergone heinous ocular torment from which I doubt I will ever recover. I curse you all. ...and I also respect that everyone has different opinions.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
It's veneer, not real wood. I'm talking about using real wood or at least plywood in stead of plastic, mdf and so. Veneered mdf can be nice, but it's not the same as real (ply)wood, nicely finished to a high level. That is where i may pay an extra price for, not for those glossy blingy speakers that are sold today, nor for the utility look of most pro audio speakers (including studio monitors).
I agree with @cavedriver . I’ve heard plenty of reasons to avoid actual real wood in speaker building, and likewise even Baltic Birch (outside of its usefulness in Subs).
For BB Plywood, the resonance can be audible in the Frequency Range of full range Speakers. Bracing and Damping it to within an inch of its life would be necessary. Subs get a pass because the resonance is so far out of the audible range of the Sub as to be relatively moot, and the weight advantage of BB far exceeds the risk.
For real wood, I know a few skilled woodworkers that have said they could build a Speaker with such material but that it is still tricky even for them. Remember that real wood expands and contracts seasonally with weather, humidity. Resonance aside, that still ends up being a significant hurdle to overcome if your cabinets are “moving.”

In the end, there is a reason why MDF is the more common option for substrate. It is stable in the face of seasonal weather and readily accepts any finish from Duratex to the rarest of veneers. Its resonance is high enough to be of minimal consideration assuming the design is well braced.

Obviously there are always edge cases. Ultimately, to each their own applies! ;)

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
During the last ten pages you people have managed to absolutely go, without the slightest hint of remorse, in the perfect opposite direction of what the title of this thread explicitly states as its purpose. The last couple of minutes I have, against my will, undergone heinous ocular torment from which I doubt I will ever recover. I curse you all. ...and I also respect that everyone has different opinions.
Amen, bruddah. From enormous and quite ugly horns to the grotesque vintage-esque aesthetic…

As I just wrote… to each their own…

But good f-n gawd! ;)

dagfinn

1710854940630.png

Couldn't help myself, had to "try" the 1238a in the room, as if... :facepalm:. The black screwheads and mounting holes are a bit much. Actually, I've become sensitive to screwheads from this thread :oops:!

cavedriver

I think it's been the unspoken understanding for some time now that this is the most beautiful and most ugly speakers in the world thread all in one. Praise subjectivity! It goes back more than 10 pages too, like 50+ pages. Personally, I don't comment on many of the "ugly" speakers and just hold off until something truly painful comes along. Respect/pity for the good intentions of many of the designers even if I find them hideous.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I guess this is to some extent of the topic, but I didn't feel it necessary to open a new thread...

For some reason, over the years I have become more and more attached to the Genelec 8000 series design language.

The most beautiful in the world? Hardly. But for speakers that are within the reach of an ordinary wage earner and are still interesting, not only for their sound but also for their design language. I would dare to make the argument; certain kinds of modern classics. Highly subjective that is of course.

In upper picture, Founder of the Genelec (with Topi Partanen), Ilpo Martikainen (1947-2017). And small 8020/G2 speaker.

I had the pleasure of having some conversations with Mr. Martikainen over the years. Although mostly related to things other than sound reproduction.

2022_Genelec_Brand_Matrix_heritage_web_square.jpg

8000Series_Group.jpg

Fabulous photo of Martikainen ... and how great to have met and conversed.

I can understand people not liking the design language I suppose, especially as a recovery from work-related PTSD. And as I noted above, very form follows function. But they did engage a designer—Harri Koskinen—not just a raft of engineers, to get there. I think he did a great job.

Top Bottom