• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

Bleib

Major Contributor
Ino pi120s.jpg

Ino Audio pi120s, would be my endgame speakers if I could afford them

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Gonna need some felt for that ledge reflection...

I always find that solution to time alignment visually disturbing, but thinking of the spectral vector geometry from the tweeter a bit more, might not be an issue. Not much on that company in English, unfortunately (and not a default language for Safari's translator). More work for the curious ...

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Acora granite speakers. $218,000. From the Florida show also. These are the guys that bought Audio Research. :cool:

View attachment 355341
such a depressingly expensive use of off the shelf drivers in a completely unoriginal way- at 218k where's the tech. ooh, it's made of cement. just offensive really.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
such a depressingly expensive use of off the shelf drivers in a completely unoriginal way- at 218k where's the tech. ooh, it's made of cement. just offensive really.
I'm note sure granite is cement lol

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Acora granite speakers. $218,000. From the Florida show also. These are the guys that bought Audio Research. :cool:

View attachment 355341

Many were going gagga over the looks of those speakers at the show. What I see is just a big slab of concrete with an interesting finish, but with just a bunch of speaker drivers drilled in the front. I don't find it deliberate or cohesive looking as an overall design.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
oops, sorry, thought it was faux granite like Corian. Either way, where's the technology in making a speaker housing inert simply by making it ludicrously heavy?
It has to do with the modulus of elasticity if my memory serves me correct going back to a study about 30 years ago.

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It has to do with the modulus of elasticity if my memory serves me correct going back to a study about 30 years ago.
measurable as a material stiffness sure, but that reduces audible resonances that can't be eliminated many other ways? I'd need to see data...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
measurable as a material stiffness sure, but that reduces audible resonances that can't be eliminated many other ways? I'd need to see data...
I was interested decades ago when stone or aggregate bonded into a solid was not used for speaker cabinets and I was interested in possibly starting up a business and making this sort of stuff. I decided that I had other interests and that stone is just too much is many ways to take on as a mainline for my future. I would like to see the data too. I do think though that a super hard stone like solid granite does have properties that are conducive to speaker cabinet improvement. I've been around granite extensively and worked with it manually and it is so tough and damp it is amazing. That it is being implemented in speaker cabinets now is kinda exciting.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I was interested decades ago when stone or aggregate bonded into a solid was not used for speaker cabinets and I was interested in possibly starting up a business and making this sort of stuff. I decided that I had other interests and that stone is just too much is many ways to take on as a mainline for my future. I would like to see the data too. I do think though that a super hard stone like solid granite does have properties that are conducive to speaker cabinet improvement. I've been around granite extensively and worked with it manually and it is so tough and damp it is amazing. That it is being implemented in speaker cabinets now is kinda exciting.

I'm coming from a place of near-total ignorance about granite: Are hidden or internal cracks, and/or or a susceptibility to crack due to impacts during shipping, an issue?

Also, how uniform is granite? Does its crystalline structure (and therefore resonance characteristics) vary to any significant degree? And if so, is this a "bug" or a "feature" in the context of loudspeaker enclosures?

Top Bottom