• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop Paradise, Amazing curves!

markanini

Major Contributor
It wasn't long ago at all that IEMs approximating one of the target curves were rare as hen's teeth. And expensive.

Moondrop, more than any other manufacturer, helped to change that situation. I was frankly surprised that their first couple headphone offerings were not similarly disruptive to the industry.

If these FR graphs are legit, though, Moondrop has figured out how to hit headphone targets as well as anybody else in the industry. At an affordable price. Look out, world. There go your profit margins.
In the IEM space I think Moondrop totally showed how good things get with a measurement-based design approach. Everyone else is still playing catch-up IMO.

In the headphone space it's more saturated, with the likes of Hifiman, which have a lower priced entry level. It's early days for Moondrops headphones line-up and we might be surprised with some budget bangers down the line, that will help put them on the map.

Last edited:

SDC

I own Venus and going to Para now.

Graph is amazing and I still don't understand how they made it.

Gotta see it myself with some earmic measurements...

Aynsley

Moondrop, more than any other manufacturer, helped to change that situation. I was frankly surprised that their first couple headphone offerings were not similarly disruptive to the industry.

Are you referring to the VOID and VENUS? I can't comment on the planar VENUS, but I did try the open-back dynamic driver VOID and wasn't too impressed. It didn't fit well and the sound was average. That could have had something to do with the fit.

The new closed-back DD JOKER, on the other hand, seems to have got everything right. Fits me perfectly (even though it looks suspiciously similar to the VOID) and sounds great, and at less than half the price of the VOID.

LearningToSmile

Seems alright, and the price is decent. I rather enjoy Moondrop's headphone industrial design as well, at least the higher tier ones.
It's just boring to see yet another headphone with flat/slightly rolled off bass. Not exactly groundbreaking there.
I'm hoping for the day when the kind of tuning commonly available in IEMs will come to headphones.

J8U4UBLS{{CP~RJ9OUCG0WE_tmb.jpg
7XH7NCJ6)(N0_4RGMDGQ%87_tmb.jpg

A bit too much energy above 10khz(about 3db for me), and the bass is not very rich and solid.
Everything is great apart from that, especially the timbre.

markanini

Major Contributor
FR graphs with no references should never to be trusted.

There are lots of good measuring headphones under $300. What is so insane about this one?
As far a I can tell it's mainly for fans of the brand. In the grand scheme it looks like a perfectly OK deal with a unique design. Like other Moondrop products better appreciated for good baseline value, rather than expecting them to cause big waves.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
To me it would be too bright.
But should be very easy to EQ with like 2 shelves, one for the bass and one for the area above ~3kHz

Top Bottom