• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

ZeDestructor

Is this amplifier fully balanced?

As stated many times before, no. The balanced input signal is summed down to SE, sent through the volume pot, then amplified back out to SE and balanced signals for the headphones. One benefit of such an approach is that both balanced and SE signals are able to feed both balanced and SE outputs.

Given how well it performs though, I'd also say there's no need to worry about it not being balanced all the way through, since the main objective of running a balanced signal is to reduce ground-loops and RF-induced distortion. Something that you only need to worry about with the wires going from the DAC to the Amp.

ExpertNoob

I'm definitely picking up one of these. Should I wait for the Topping D90 or is there a DAC that would be a good pairing with this?

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm definitely picking up one of these. Should I wait for the Topping D90 or is there a DAC that would be a good pairing with this?
If you have the budget and patience, might as well.

ArtemisXCIX

Personally I an waiting to see how the upcoming Liquid Platinum (AKM4499) will fare. I like how it looks hopefully it measures well too.

Anyone has experience with their other stuff like the hybrids and tubes amps? Any good?

Looking to get into tubes ( Darkvoice seem to be most people's pick)

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I an waiting to see how the upcoming Liquid Platinum (AKM4499) will fare. I like how it looks hopefully it measures well too.

Anyone has experience with their other stuff like the hybrids and tubes amps? Any good?

Looking to get into tubes ( Darkvoice seem to be most people's pick)
People like the sound of tube amps because the 2nd order harmonic distortions are musical and pleasing, despite not being "true to the source" - it's a form of distortion equalization that's more art than science, thus "tube rolling".

jfree77

Forum Donor
How would this compare to a Sennheiser HDVA 600? Contemplating selling my 600 for this.

skypablo

Does anyone know if we can get this in EU?
bought from monoprice about 1 month ago, 399 usd + 124 usd of dhl shipping to italy. I thought to have to pay also custom duty, but dhl did not asked me anything. Probably custom duty was included in the shipping handling.... no idea.. so 470 euros final cost for me .

Bfmcosta

bought from monoprice about 1 month ago, 399 usd + 124 usd of dhl shipping to italy. I thought to have to pay also custom duty, but dhl did not asked me anything. Probably custom duty was included in the shipping handling.... no idea.. so 470 euros final cost for me .
Thanks. Unfortunately, in Portugal the authorities are very efficient charging import duties plus “handling fees”, typically charging 30% more over initial cost.. :/

VeerK

So the only other product in the monolith lineup that uses the same chassis as the 887 is an older DAC amp combo unit from Monoprice. If I have time, I’m thinking about gutting it for the chassis and wiring up another DAC in there, just for perfect match aesthetics. Since I finished my DIY speakers my work bench has been too empty...

wadec22

okay, looking to an electrical guru to explain some power delivery questions i have about this amp.

I have two DAC units - the Violectric V850 and the MOTU m2. Both set to approx. 4V output via balanced output.

i have been using a Violectric V181 amp and it has an internal gain of 8db. it has the ability via jumpers to go to 2x and 4x (16db & 32db). At it's default gain of 8db, it delivers plenty of power to my notoriously difficult to drivehifiman he-6se. i typically have the volume set around noon to 1 o clock. 2 to 3 o clock get loud pretty quick and no way can i put the volume knob all the way over - it would probably blow a driver or my ear drums.

i picked up the monoprice 887 to compare. i am surprised at how it struggles with the hifiman unit, yet amir's test shows it putting out more power (3.7w) than violectric advertises on the 181 into 50 ohms (2.1w).

The monoprice in gain 2 - i can max out the volume knob and it is fairly loud but nothing i cannot stand for a prolonged period. Clearly gain 2 is not enough power to listen at loud levels with these headphones.

If I push the monoprice unit to gain 3 (which i was under the impression you should not do feeding it 4v), 1 o clock starts to get loud. admittedly turning it over to about 3 o clock it starts to get really pretty loud, but tolerable. I can actually push it all the way over on gain 3 and it is super loud, but again, not blow a driver loud or damage my hearing loud. I can only stand this for a very short period.

my concern is operating the unit that close to it's limit and potential clipping with 4v input.... why is the violectric seemingly more powerful??? is my intuition right that the violectric is simply a better pairing for these?

and yes, I know this is a super rare case with an unusually difficult headphone but the he-6se has become my end game. nothing sounds like it.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
okay, looking to an electrical guru to explain some power delivery questions i have about this amp.

I have two DAC units - the Violectric V850 and the MOTU m2. Both set to approx. 4V output via balanced output.

i have been using a Violectric V181 amp and it has an internal gain of 8db. it has the ability via jumpers to go to 2x and 4x (16db & 32db). At it's default gain of 8db, it delivers plenty of power to my notoriously difficult to drivehifiman he-6se. i typically have the volume set around noon to 1 o clock. 2 to 3 o clock get loud pretty quick and no way can i put the volume knob all the way over - it would probably blow a driver or my ear drums.

i picked up the monoprice 887 to compare. i am surprised at how it struggles with the hifiman unit, yet amir's test shows it putting out more power (3.7w) than violectric advertises on the 181 into 50 ohms (2.1w).

The monoprice in gain 2 - i can max out the volume knob and it is fairly loud but nothing i cannot stand for a prolonged period. Clearly gain 2 is not enough power to listen at loud levels with these headphones.

If I push the monoprice unit to gain 3 (which i was under the impression you should not do feeding it 4v), 1 o clock starts to get loud. admittedly turning it over to about 3 o clock it starts to get really pretty loud, but tolerable. I can actually push it all the way over on gain 3 and it is super loud, but again, not blow a driver loud or damage my hearing loud. I can only stand this for a very short period.

my concern is operating the unit that close to it's limit and potential clipping with 4v input.... why is the violectric seemingly more powerful??? is my intuition right that the violectric is simply a better pairing for these?

and yes, I know this is a super rare case with an unusually difficult headphone but the he-6se has become my end game. nothing sounds like it.
Since you have motu m2 why not just check the level of each unit...

wadec22

Since you have motu m2 why not just check the level of each unit...
Interesting thought. You are suggesting XLR headphone out to balance input on m2 to check levels? I'll have to check the cabling to see if I have it.

Any ideas as to why you think the violectric appears to have do much more headroom?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Interesting thought. You are suggesting XLR headphone out to balance input on m2 to check levels? I'll have to check the cabling to see if I have it.

Any ideas as to why you think the violectric appears to have do much more headroom?
That's exactly it. And first of all we have to make sure the outputs are actually what you think they are. Then we can discuss little further.

wadec22

That's exactly it. And first of all we have to make sure the outputs are actually what you think they are. Then we can discuss little further.

can't find a cable to do this. however, I can easily level match them on my minidsp EARS, which I will do when I get time this weekend. thanks for giving me some ideas.

Harry

Hello!
With this cable could I use the THX887 as a preamp?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07G5KT922/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A310JMYT5L8AWQ&psc=1
20200112_172309.jpg

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Unfortunately, in Portugal the authorities are very efficient charging import duties plus “handling fees”, typically charging 30% more over initial cost.. :/

The international shipping fees are clear, and I accept the sales tax (20% here) but it really drives me made to have to pay a handling fee to cover the costs of them collecting the tax. I haven't imported anything from overseas for a while but it used to be about £13 with the post office and rivals like DHL, FedEx etc charged more.

NemoReborn

Question regarding the 887 amp. Is it ok to uses the 6.5 and 3.5 mm SE output at same time ??? Can it broke anything ?

im connected to the 1/4 inche with my dt1990 but i my gf wanna listen to her x2hr using the 3.5mm output at same time ...

I know gain should be a problem but we will figure a middle volume for both of us.

im just scared to plug both at same time and something would go boom

Top Bottom