• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monolith by Monoprice M565C - reviews or measurements?

Joe BKNY

I see that there's a brand new review (Thank you Amir!) for a different model Monoprice headphone. The one I'm interested in the less expensive M565C, which incidentally is a top recommendation on Wirecutter.com. The review of the M1570 doesn't bode well for the M565C - does anyone know of any useful reviews or measurements?

someguyontheinternet

audiophile-hp-630.png

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-audiophile-headphones/

Apparently measured on a GRAS 43AG and KB5000 simulated pinna. Doesn't look stellar, but fixable with EQ. No idea about distortion though.

robertom

I have a M565C and I like it very much. Also have the M1570 (open version) and the latter is overall my favourite headphone (I even preferred it to Arya Stealth, but I have not owned or listened to other hi-end headhones of any brand, nothing over 600€ apart from Arya). M1570 and M565C have an 'house' (warm) timbre and they are not so far apart, despite the consistent difference in price. Yes, the M1570 is the better headphone, anyway.
In my opinion the M565C has very few defects in FR, the graph above is good and reflects (more or less) what I'm hearing: It has a little bump that I have spotted at about 125 Hz (and shelved down of 0.5 db), and it also would benefit from a touch more bass (50Hz and below); I' ve sligthly lowered the 3.5Khz area (with a pretty large bell), according to my personal preferences. Highs are spot on, the right amount and for me no need to eq them. All of that by ear, because this is the first time that I see a FR graph of the 565C (thank you someguy). Overall, one of the headphones that I own (or have owned in the past) that require the less amount of eq to sound good. Very good dynamics as well. I've preferred the M565C to HD600 and HD650, apart from comfort (the headphone is light an do not clamp much, but the earcups are too little for me).
Personal opinions, of course.

Last edited:

robertom

Thank you @someguyontheinternet, @staticV3, and @robertom !!! Ask the ASR hive mind and you too shall receive! @robertom or anyone - do you have a portable setup that allows filters/eq adjustments, and if so would you be so kind as to describe it?
I have no portable setup, sorry. As a simple, standalone EQ solution for Windows (only) desktops that works systemwide I like Global Delight Boom 3d. But no portable setup for me...

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
do you have a portable setup that allows filters/eq adjustments, and if so would you be so kind as to describe it?
Here you go:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There was a TV sketch long time back, a couple sitting in the living room of their tiny flat, husband is asking why there is a tractor tire in the middle of the room, wife explaining she bought it because it was on sale with 70% discount. Well, I guess headphones bring out my female side. M565C were on a big discount on amazon and they looked good so I bought one. I thought they are going to be a bass canons probably but I can play around with EQ and find measurements and make it half decent.

I was wrong. They are not bass canons at all. They actually sound very decent out of the box - I am impressed! Bass is not over powering, if I was a betting man I'd say less than Harman OE for sure. Something is a bit off in the mids, I am not sure what it is exactly, but I suspect nothing that can not be fixed with some EQ. Overall I am very happy with them. Would love to see some comparative FR and distortion measurements if anyone has them.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Something is a bit off in the mids, I am not sure what it is exactly, but I suspect nothing that can not be fixed with some EQ. Overall I am very happy with them. Would love to see some comparative FR and distortion measurements if anyone has them.
Here's a frequency response graph with Harman OE2018 overlaid, plus EQ preset for your Qudelix:
screencapture-autoeq-app-2023-07-17-12_00_03.png

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's a frequency response graph with Harman OE2018 overlaid, plus EQ preset for your Qudelix:
Thanks for that. I did have a -3db Q0.7 filter at 200hz. Well done me!

I did search autoeq.app but could not find it. Infact I still can not find it. Do you have a packpass of some sort? :) Could you share the link if possible please.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I search autoeq.app but could not find it. Infact I still can not find it. Do you have a packpass of some sort? :) Could you share the link if possible please.
Sure, here's the link: https://autoeq.app/

Edit: or do you mean a link to the measurement? In that case, I just digitized this graph using webplotdigitizer, then uploaded the .csv file to autoeq.app
I've attached the file below.

Attachments

• Monolith M565C (SoundStage).zip
    5.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, here's the link: https://autoeq.app/
Sorry, I was not clear maybe. I do know the autoeq.app, when I search there I can not find M565C. Looks like you searched Monolith and found it. I tried Monolith, Monoprice M565. 565C, 565.. nothing works. Only thing it finds is HD565. Not sure why is that.

1689594233389.png
1689594379678.png

staticV3

Master Contributor
Sorry, I was not clear maybe. I do know the autoeq.app, when I search there I can not find M565C. Looks like you searched Monolith and found it. I tried Monolith, Monoprice M565. 565C, 565.. nothing works. Only thing it finds is HD565. Not sure why is that.
I thought so. Please see the edit I made to my last post.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got a home made in-ear measurement mic, which you should totally not rely on, but for what its worth, below is the EQ settings I use which matches (more or less) the FR of this headphone to that of HD600 + the low-shelf, in case one wants to give it a try.

Preamp: -7dB
Filter 1: ON LSC Fc 70 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 1.4
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 110 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 1
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 370 Hz Gain -1.5 dB Q 0.4
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 700 Hz Gain 1.8 dB Q 1.4
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1350 Hz Gain 2.2 dB Q 0.5
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 2850 Hz Gain -5 dB Q 1.4
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 5050 Hz Gain 7 dB Q 4

Top Bottom