• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monolith by Monoprice Encore B6 Bookshelf Speaker

joentell

Reviewer
Paid commercial! Looking forward to Amir’s review
We'll see what the measurements say. They should speak for themselves. I'm just a guy giving my opinion on speakers and hopefully making an entertaining video. I also have other sponsored videos where I am not so kind, to the product being reviewed. It's called integrity. If I lose a sponsorship because I'm honest, I don't want that sponsor anyway. There are tons of companies making great products who just want an honest review and some exposure. People in similar situations might react differently, so I can't speak for them, or for you, I can only speak for myself. If you don't trust what I say in my video, there's nothing I can do to change your mind. I just wanted to make sure we're clear. Monolith is one of my channel sponsors. If they make a crappy product, I would not hesitate to say so. I would first tell them that I think it's crappy and why I think so. If they still want a review, then I will tell everyone else it's crappy in my video. That's not how I feel about these particular Encore speakers.

I've always been transparent about my business relationships with companies. Some folks don't disclose their business relationships, and that's where I find an issue. I always verbally say if a product was sent to me free for review, and it's in written form in each video as well. Even if a company sends me a $5 product, I am legally obligated to check the box that says "paid sponsorship." Now, go look at how many reviewers have reviewed the same products I've reviewed. They likely have a similar, if not identical, deal with the manufacturer, yet they don't check the box or give full disclosure. I would love it if folks like you were harder on those guys, because they make the rest of us reviewers look bad by not disclosing.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We'll see what the measurements say. They should speak for themselves. I'm just a guy giving my opinion on speakers and hopefully making an entertaining video. I also have other sponsored videos where I am not so kind, to the product being reviewed. It's called integrity. If I lose a sponsorship because I'm honest, I don't want that sponsor anyway. There are tons of companies making great products who just want an honest review and some exposure. People in similar situations might react differently, so I can't speak for them, or for you, I can only speak for myself. If you don't trust what I say in my video, there's nothing I can do to change your mind. I just wanted to make sure we're clear. Monolith is one of my channel sponsors. If they make a crappy product, I would not hesitate to say so. I would first tell them that I think it's crappy and why I think so. If they still want a review, then I will tell everyone else it's crappy in my video. That's not how I feel about these particular Encore speakers.

I've always been transparent about my business relationships with companies. Some folks don't disclose their business relationships, and that's where I find an issue. I always verbally say if a product was sent to me free for review, and it's in written form in each video as well. Even if a company sends me a $5 product, I am legally obligated to check the box that says "paid sponsorship." Now, go look at how many reviewers have reviewed the same products I've reviewed. They likely have a similar, if not identical, deal with the manufacturer, yet they don't check the box or give full disclosure. I would love it if folks like you were harder on those guys, because they make the rest of us reviewers look bad by not disclosing.
Yes, people on the Internet are way too quick to accuse others of impropriety. There is absolutely nothing wrong with giving a review of an advertiser's/sponsor's product if you reveal the relationship and tell the truth. I enjoyed your video and might watch others at some point. I would never make a buying decision solely on the basis of anyone's subjective impressions.

dreadknot

Forum Donor
can i drive a pair of these with my crown xli 800 with 300watts per channel at full gain @4 ohms ?

joentell

Reviewer
Measurements from @hardisj are up. I'm so thankful for you guys taking the time to do these measurements! It keeps us reviewers in check! I know @amirm ordered a B6 too.

That dip near 10khz looks worse than it sounds from my experience. We already know that dips are harder to notice than peaks. I wish it wasn't there, but I guess that's what $169 per speaker gets you. The dip looks deeper and wider than what I could catch with my basic MMM measurements. It's cool to see my "ghetto spinorama" measurements in my T6 encore video gave me some okay info above 600hz. Definitely some correlation there. I can't afford $100k for a Klippel NFS. :)

I would be lying if I said I wasn't rooting for Monolith. They are one of my channel sponsors, yes, but I am just wanting to see more affordable speakers available to folks that don't have tons of money to spend to get into this hobby. They seem to be leading the way when it comes to that. When we don't see a ton of advancement in audio, I at least hope to see prices go down. That seems to be what we have here.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't afford $100k for a Klippel NFS. :)
Mind you, you don't need such for a quite precise spinorama, it's more effort though :)

joentell

Reviewer
Mind you, you don't need such for a quite precise spinorama, it's more effort though :)
Thanks for that! I've downloaded the Jeff Bagby white paper. I also forgot to mention I'm lazy too!

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Measurements from @hardisj are up. I'm so thankful for you guys taking the time to do these measurements! It keeps us reviewers in check! I know @amirm ordered a B6 too.

@sweetchaos started a thread here if you wanna add your thoughts/experiences to it:

Top Bottom