• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitor Audio Platinum 3G

Penelinfi

I have MA Gold 300 gen.5 I do not know if is it only my feeling but this speakers are not bright absolutely. I would appreciate if were they more brighter in trebles. I´m using RME ADI 2 FS and I had to set treble knob for +4dB for all type of music. :( Bass is enough to me but I do not know why I have this feeling of lack of trebles...?? You guys?
They seem to lack "bite". There is a slight dip in the (upper?) midrange.
Subjective - perhaps AMT tweeters are also smooth; being plastic, can possibly feel like there isn't enough bite compared to hard done tweeters (heard this on other polycone drivers). Might also be the slightly narrower vertical directivity though this is a very small AMT so that effect is less than bigger ones.
There is a mild? Peak at 15kHz , either this or something else gives a very very slight whispy quality to the treble.
Imo they don't lack treble even if it sounds like they do.
Comparing to some other speakers the treble can even be slightly more prominent, likely the other speakers have a little more mids.
Otherwise nothing really stands out

You may have to "get used to it" in some sense - what were your previous speakers?

octavius

Previous speakers were Canton LE190 let’s say low entry level. Now I’m listening them and I have checked RME adi dac the trebles I set to 3,5dB and it sounds sweet but if I turn off the sound is without life. :(

HappyMetalGuy

Thanks Happymetalguy for feedback. So, I have 2.8m apart. I'm sitting 3m from the speakers in equilateral triangle. I bought these speakers like used with low hours of run without scratches in the lacquer. I have these speakers 1 and 1/2 year now. My living room has 48m2. I didn’t cover HiVe II ports. They are 40cm from rear wall.
How far are they from the back and side walls?
1684488121586.png

Penelinfi

~ "The speaker becomes increasingly directional in the top two octaves, which might make the highs sound a little too mellow in large rooms."

This is what I hear. In a smaller room it's got more of a sense of treble even with a lot of damping. The bigger room is mellow even with minimal damping

I guess you could try to EQ that off axis roll off to balance it out and leave it at that? Assuming you like the speaker with that bit of treble lift.

octavius

How far are they from the back and side walls?
View attachment 286526
They are 40cm from rear wall and 2m from side walls

franknorris12

They are 40cm from rear wall and 2m from side walls

Try to put the port plugs in just the bottom hole of each speaker and see if that helps balance it.

But yes the MA Gold 200s have a rich/warm sound to me overall - the Silvers were on the brighter side (usually with treble fatigue).

octavius

~ "The speaker becomes increasingly directional in the top two octaves, which might make the highs sound a little too mellow in large rooms."

This is what I hear. In a smaller room it's got more of a sense of treble even with a lot of damping. The bigger room is mellow even with minimal damping

I guess you could try to EQ that off axis roll off to balance it out and leave it at that? Assuming you like the speaker with that bit of treble lift.
Yes probably is quite big room almost 50m2.... with lot of furniture with big sofa. Probably the trebles they disappear in the room. :(

octavius

Try to put the port plugs in just the bottom hole of each speaker and see if that helps balance it.

But yes the MA Gold 200s have a rich/warm sound to me overall - the Silvers were on the brighter side (usually with treble fatigue).
I will try… plugs. The treble fatigue really depends on room condition. Probably I would need speakers with more presence on trebles ;)
Or is there any possibility to slightly tune the crossover? Changed some resistor in crossover?

Jukebox

After spending the last months with the Platinum 200 3G, I can now share my 2cents.
Firstly, it's safe to say that they are very good speakers ... SOTA? maybe not, but close and good enough for me to buy them; at least until I move into a bigger room.
My current room is around 22m2 and they fit perfectly being very compact for a floorstand.
I have 1.5m from the front wall, 1m from the side walls and 1.5m the wall behind me.
Is the best position for soundstage, not for the bass but that's why I use subs+EQ
I use Artnovion room treatment in the forms of hybrid absorbers, diffusers, wall bass trap and corner sub bass trap.
The electronics are Node streamer optical out to Denon 3700 (the original) and Nad C298 power amp with Purifi modules.
In the near future most likely I will shift to Pioneer Elite 805 or Onkyo RZ70 for the benefit of Dirac and Bass Control.

The Platinums are built like a tank, soooo heavy for their size, with solid reinforcement inside and thick baffle; also the drivers have huge magnets and beefy motors.

1685374150997.png

Bellow some measurements from alpha-audio.net regarding the THD.

1685374174086.png

The crossovers have high quality components and all the cabling inside is silver plated.

1685374196889.png
1685374286911.png

The new AMT tweeter is amazing with great resolution and detail retrieval without being fatiguing or harsh and the integration with the midrange is spot-on, seamless transition; the midrange sits in its own aluminum back box filled with absorption material.
The bass is great for the size but not that important for me because I use them with the supplied port plugs and crossover at 80Hz to dual SVS SB3000.
They look amazing with that shaped cabinet, curved front baffle, great painting and lacquered to perfection.

1685374304656.png
1685374317488.png

Imaging is solid with good wide and fairly deep soundstage. The overall presentation is not razer sharp, like I experienced with Kef, but bigger and more opened.
The overall tonality is almost flat without sounding boring or dull.

Comparing them with the Gold 200 is not even close; although the overall presention is similar, the Platinum wins on all aspects: imaging, soundstage, bass extension, midrange clarity and top end sparkle and resolution.

Worth mentioning I went back and front between these and Kef Reference 3 for the final purchase battle.
Both are great speakers, with a different presentation, different strong points and weekneses; A plus of linearity for Kef, more pin point stage thanks to the uni-q coaxial driver but I choose Platinum because they're much smaller and fit better my room and their sound is slightly more engaging for whatever reason...maybe wider dispersions or more energy in the midrange - treble.
For sure in a bigger space I would go with Kef ... so maybe next time they will be the winners.

Bellow some measurements in my room. Speakers only and speakers + 2 subs + EQ
Not the final result but sounds pretty good already.

1685374113823.png
Now I m thinking of adding the center channel...should be a valuable addition and maybe shift my music listening from stereo to Auro 3d upmix in a 5.2.2 set up when I update the receiver also.

Last edited:

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
After spending the last months with the Platinum 200 3G, I can now share my 2cents.
Firstly, it's safe to say that they are very good speakers ... SOTA? maybe not, but close and good enough for me to buy them; at least until I move into a bigger room.
My current room is around 22m2 and they fit perfectly being very compact for a floorstand.
I have 1.5m from the front wall, 1m from the side walls and 1.5m the wall behind me.
Is the best position for soundstage, not for the bass but that's why I use subs+EQ
I use Artnovion room treatment in the forms of hybrid absorbers, diffusers, wall bass trap and corner sub bass trap.
The electronics are Node streamer optical out to Denon 3700 (the original) and Nad C298 power amp with Purifi modules.
In the near future most likely I will shift to Pioneer Elite 805 or Onkyo RZ70 for the benefit of Dirac and Bass Control.

The Platinums are built like a tank, soooo heavy for their size, with solid reinforcement inside and thick baffle; also the drivers have huge magnets and beefy motors.

The crossovers have high quality components and all the cabling inside is silver plated.

The new AMT tweeter is amazing with great resolution and detail retrieval without being fatiguing or harsh and the integration with the midrange is spot-on, seamless transition; the midrange sits in its own aluminum back box filled with absorption material.
The bass is great for the size but not that important for me because I use them with the supplied port plugs and crossover at 80Hz to dual SVS SB3000.
They look amazing with that shaped cabinet, curved front baffle, great painting and lacquered to perfection.

Imaging is solid with good wide and fairly deep soundstage. The overall presentation is not razer sharp, like I experienced with Kef, but bigger and more opened.

Comparing them with the Gold 200 is not even close; although the overall presention is similar, the Platinum wins on all aspects: imaging, soundstage, bass extension, midrange clarity and top end sparkle and resolution.

Worth mentioning I went back and front between these and Kef Reference 3 for the final purchase battle.
Both are great speakers, with a different presentation, different strong points and weekneses; A plus of linearity for Kef, more pin point stage thanks to the uni-q coaxial driver but I choose Platinum because they're much smaller and fit better my room and their sound is slightly more engaging for whatever reason...maybe wider dispersions or more energy in the midrange - treble.
For sure in a bigger space I would go with Kef ... so maybe next time they will be the winners.

Now I m thinking of adding the center channel...should be a valuable addition and maybe shift my music listening from stereo to Auro 3d upmix in a 5.2.2 set up when I update the receiver also.
Distortion looks very low, noticeable lower than the previous gen. -40dB / 1% looks clean.
The only weird thing is the 1.8khz raise.

Jukebox

Distortion looks very low, noticeable lower than the previous gen. -40dB / 1% looks clean.
The only weird thing is the 1.8khz raise.
Still investigating the 1.8khz raise; don't think is the speakers itself, because the near field measurements don't show this peak...will report back when I will find the cause.

Last edited:

octavius

I don't know If good understand this graph but high frequency are not slighlty decresed?

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
PL200 G3 measured below (Google translate it).

Penelinfi

71631-monitor-audio-platinum-200-g3-lab1.jpg

They still have that treble lift especially in the CRT TV range
Though it seems like you point them straight forward into the room, and get a fairly flat response, with trends of dip at some midrange frequencies that could be irritating, and slightly smoother (shelved 1-2dB) treble with "air peaks".

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With so many angles pointing up and only 30° flat, I expect the sum to be rising as well in an estimated room power calculation. That means bright response, at least in the air region.

SiamXIII

You are absolutely wrong about this. Measurements don't tell the real story regarding those.

I have heard the new 7G Silver Series (owned the Silver 6G too), Gold, Platinum, had the Kefs LS50 and Metas, auditioned R3, R7, Reference 3. Also owned Q Concept 500 and Sonus Faber Sonetto V. Currently using Canton Reference on my daily main system.

I can tell you there is a incredible difference on sound quality between the Silver 7 G and the PL100 II. The Platinums are in another league in everything sound wise. They are incredible sounding spakers. Probably one of the best I have heard.

Silver series 7G are ok price-wise, similar level than the Kef's R (a little less boring slow than the R's) but no even close on how a high end loudspeaker like the Platinum sound. Kef's Reference are on a similar level than Platinums. I really liked the bass on those Platinums and the treble is very smooth and natural.

Price/performance-wise. To me, the best speakers so far have been the Canton's Reference . They sound almost as good as the Kefs Reference and MA Platinum but are about 60% of their price. Q Acoustics Concept 500 are very good price/performance too (they have an amazing sound stage).

So, NO, the Silver 7G measure well but they sound like a speaker on their price range does. They are a competitive product but no even close from what you are expecting from measurements on the reviews suggest. They use low to mid-tier quality drivers.

This is the more accurate review I have seen so far:

Will Concept 500 be decent upgrade from R3s for 3x5m room?

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor

did you take more measurements at louder spl?
At 70dB the measurements are too lot, will better to see measurements FR + THD at 90dB and 100dB
Pd: The speaker looks amazing
Thanks

Bozon

Will Concept 500 be decent upgrade from R3s for 3x5m room?
Yes. Q Concept 500 is a wonderful speaker and sounds a lot better than the R3. But beware its size! They are monoliths. Big, tall, heavy and deep. I sold my pair because they where too big and looked out of place on my room. Sound-wise they have no defects. They are not the most exciting sound but they sound natural, have great resolution and a sound stage that produces a wall of sound.

The Concept 300 is an excellent choice too.

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes. Q Concept 500 is a wonderful speaker and sounds a lot better than the R3. But beware its size! They are monoliths. Big, tall, heavy and deep. I sold my pair because they where too big and looked out of place on my room. Sound-wise they have no defects. They are not the most exciting sound but they sound natural, have great resolution and a sound stage that produces a wall of sound.

The Concept 300 is an excellent choice too.
they are indeed better. I checked the measurments and concept 500 is perfection

Top Bottom