• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$20,000 "end game" speaker for a disabled man who can't audition! Monitor audio platinum pl200 ii , revel f226be, or something else?

Lsc

Hi
@DonH56 , runs his Salon 2 with subwoofers.. The best of both worlds... You drop 4 MonoPrice, Rythmik or SVS subwoofers into this room, Take a few months to tame the peaks and valleys and are forever smiling ... Make sure your bass FR is smooth and to taste and you hit single digit in the bass... That make take a few months but this is doable within the $20K budget... This would energize , the most palatial rooms.. IMO. Accuracy, low bass to break concrete walls, treble to converse with passing bats, SPL to deafen, You may need powerful amplifiers but these days.. again, covered by numerous Hypex Class D models ...
Sometimes we get too much into FOMO, when the (obvious) solution is in front of us... :D

I know, I would take this route...

Peace.
I run my salons with a pair of Gothams so I agree this is a great route. But not everyone needs that. I probably should have gone with smaller towers and smaller subs.

OldenEars

Take a look at Martin Logan Electrostatic speakers. Paired with your subs would give you that expansive sound you mentioned is important.

I've always coveted my parents neighbours quad el57 but I'd probably want a sub to go with them

exm

Kef Blade 2 Meta maybe? Don't look at MSRP. You should be able to get these for under $20k with the right dealer.

wgb113

Feels like we need more info from the OP. #channels, associated equipment, etc.

steve59

Major Contributor
Yamaha ns5000 comes with a 30 day return policy.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
As no one mentioned I feel obligated to do so even this are neither tower's nor pasive.
Pretty much; space adaptable, hi SPL capable and stay in ±0.5 dB from 100 Hz.

ferrellms

Hey every body.

I just want to start this by saying I know there is no comparison for an in person audition with any speakers, specifically ones at this price range. That being said I'm disabled, with most of my time being occupied with music and home theater, and itching to upgrade, but without going into specifics it's extremely difficult bordering on impossible for me to get out and do things in my state now, so I've been doing as much online research as possible to make the most informed decision prior to buying. But no matter to me ... If I can get "end game" sound with speakers unheard, then so be it, I am a believer in this board!

I've listened to and owned in the past some lower end speakers from monitor audio, salk, revel, goldenear , kef, etc but itching for something more.. I use my speakers both for home theater and music, and in music value nothing more than detail and resolution, particularly in the midrange, with treble being important and not as much care for bass as I always cross them over with SVS subs. I love a really tall, but also wide , deep, holographic soundstage, and a big, dynamic, punchy sound.

I have narrowed it down to a few (I think). the monitor audio platinum pl200 ii, the revel f226be, and also considered some higher tier offerings from salk.

My room is roughly 20'x25', with 10' vaulted ceilings. Will be primarily for music, but definitely plan to pull double duty also for home theater. Music preferences are everything (literally) , needs to do it all!

I really like the revel sound, and the f226be's sound almost perfect for me, just never heard. The monitor audios from what I have read sound very similar, although less info online about them, and the only complaint I've heard vs the revels is that their soundstage does not extend quite as wide. I've also considered offerings from magico, vandersteen, paradigm, and focal but keep coming back to the revel and monitor audios...

Soooo ... thoughts on the above choices? Anything else for my taste I'm not thinking of?

Thanks every body, really appreciate your help on my jou
JDB
Kii 3 or another cardioid powered monitor. The lack of room coloration means a LOT. And is only achievable with cardioid speakers or endless room treatment. Imagine your favorite headphones and put that sound out in the room instead of your ears and as well, accurate display of the spatial aspects of the recording, and deeper bass to boot with much more clarity than typical hi-end gear. Kick in ease of placement, good dynamics, size and looks - they may still be priced under 20K. Just add a USB cable and a laptop.

Check Kii 3 out. I've owned a lot of gear over the years and it is miles ahead of any high-end stuff I heard or owned. My 2 cents, worth maybe one cent?

Last edited:

ferrellms

As no one mentioned I feel obligated to do so even this are neither tower's nor pasive.
Pretty much; space adaptable, hi SPL capable and stay in ±0.5 dB from 100 Hz.
thumbs up, i am ecstatic with mine using just a laptop and USB cable

exm

If it’s 2 channel, also consider the Kef LS60

Rushnroulette

Hey, just a few notes...Someone mentioned Salon 2s...Yes...former owner loved them end game speaker , but they need POWER...
I actually bought some Focal Alto Utopia ..pocketed $6k in savings and was so close in quality was literally hard to know. I also currently own and am parting with a pair of Monitor Audio Platinums PL 200 ..first series...great speakers beautiful different sounding with ribbon tweeter, it can't compete with the Altos.
BUY USED unless you want Scalas and have $55k for speakers.
ONE NOTE...Accuphase IS THE ENDGAME Amp...I started with a q
1990 e-305 recapped ..amazing amp...I have owned so many separates and integrated Mark Levinson 585.5...JC-1s Parasound... JC-5.... and eventually settled on the formerly $22k Krell 403e with a Cary SLP-05 with ultimate upgrade and one other end all componenent Marantz SA-10 SACD spinner ..amazing
..Anyway, Krell and Cary were heaven ..but I didn't want do much heft and heat and bought another Accuphase Class A e-650 Integrated ...This may not be in the realm with their 45k preamp but..
It is heaven....Revel is Amazing I have own many.of the lower ones before Salons...Performa series is amazing ...Electra series of Focal is amazing...Monitor Audio PL-200..1st series are great sure IIs are better...If you take away anything from this Accuphase is what to get..yes $12k for a used E-800 integrated is a lot..but it sounds like it is worth $50k
Case in point ...local guy keeps trying to get my e,-305
.super rare in US Voltage...It honestly is only worth maybe $2800 recapped, but I know there is no integrated even close to that in its price range...so I will keep it ..Ken

Rushnroulette

Hey, just a few notes...Someone mentioned Salon 2s...Yes...former owner loved them end game speaker , but they need POWER...
I actually bought some Focal Alto Utopia ..pocketed $6k in savings and was so close in quality was literally hard to know. I also currently own and am parting with a pair of Monitor Audio Platinums PL 200 ..first series...great speakers beautiful different sounding with ribbon tweeter, it can't compete with the Altos.
BUY USED unless you want Scalas and have $55k for speakers.
ONE NOTE...Accuphase IS THE ENDGAME Amp...I started with a q
1990 e-305 recapped ..amazing amp...I have owned so many separates and integrated Mark Levinson 585.5...JC-1s Parasound... JC-5.... and eventually settled on the formerly $22k Krell 403e with a Cary SLP-05 with ultimate upgrade and one other end all componenent Marantz SA-10 SACD spinner ..amazing
..Anyway, Krell and Cary were heaven ..but I didn't want do much heft and heat and bought another Accuphase Class A e-650 Integrated ...This may not be in the realm with their 45k preamp but..
It is heaven....Revel is Amazing I have own many.of the lower ones before Salons...Performa series is amazing ...Electra series of Focal is amazing...Monitor Audio PL-200..1st series are great sure IIs are better...If you take away anything from this Accuphase is what to get..yes $12k for a used E-800 integrated is a lot..but it sounds like it is worth $50k
Case in point ...local guy keeps trying to get my e,-305
.super rare in US Voltage...It honestly is only worth maybe $2800 recapped, but I know there is no integrated even close to that in its price range...so I will keep it ..Ken
Just a few more notes
.hope you find your speakers..Audio world is a quest..I have also owned an Audio Research 5se Preamp....Cary Is right there with it with SLP-05 with ultimate upgrade.. I have owned Audioquest Redwood Cables $9k/pair and upper end Transparent MM2 XLR interconnects $9k also ..Didn't notice enough..I have decent cables but nothing in crazy land...Mark Levinson Madrigal CZ Gels are fine whatever ..$150/pair used.
More on Accuphase...The Mark Levinson 585.5 is a beast of an integrated very expensive ..JC-5 Parasound a bit cheaper and so close in quality...the E-650 would eat both those for lunch..so if you don't know, now you know...hard to look back ...US Voltages can be found and it is like finding gold

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey every body.

I just want to start this by saying I know there is no comparison for an in person audition with any speakers, specifically ones at this price range. That being said I'm disabled, with most of my time being occupied with music and home theater, and itching to upgrade, but without going into specifics it's extremely difficult bordering on impossible for me to get out and do things in my state now, so I've been doing as much online research as possible to make the most informed decision prior to buying. But no matter to me ... If I can get "end game" sound with speakers unheard, then so be it, I am a believer in this board!

I've listened to and owned in the past some lower end speakers from monitor audio, salk, revel, goldenear , kef, etc but itching for something more.. I use my speakers both for home theater and music, and in music value nothing more than detail and resolution, particularly in the midrange, with treble being important and not as much care for bass as I always cross them over with SVS subs. I love a really tall, but also wide , deep, holographic soundstage, and a big, dynamic, punchy sound.

I have narrowed it down to a few (I think). the monitor audio platinum pl200 ii, the revel f226be, and also considered some higher tier offerings from salk.

My room is roughly 20'x25', with 10' vaulted ceilings. Will be primarily for music, but definitely plan to pull double duty also for home theater. Music preferences are everything (literally) , needs to do it all!

I really like the revel sound, and the f226be's sound almost perfect for me, just never heard. The monitor audios from what I have read sound very similar, although less info online about them, and the only complaint I've heard vs the revels is that their soundstage does not extend quite as wide. I've also considered offerings from magico, vandersteen, paradigm, and focal but keep coming back to the revel and monitor audios...

Soooo ... thoughts on the above choices? Anything else for my taste I'm not thinking of?

Thanks every body, really appreciate your help on my journey.

JDB
Did you find something yet?

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom