• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitor Audio Platinum 3G

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
New flagship series from Monitor Audio called Platinum 3G. So many pretty pictures and a shame there is no dispersion or spin graph... They also lost the front baffle leather and now look like the Gold series with some details different.

ma_platinum3g_1.jpg

MA PL 3G HT.jpg

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I very liked the Platinum IIs I've heard, AFAIC, much better than B&W 800s to my tastes. But these were way out of my budget (except for the Platinum 100II, for which deals could be found around 3k€/pair).

Here is the pricing for Platinum 3G:

Platinum 300 3G – 11 500 £ / 14 000 € / 15 500 $ pair.

Platinum 200 3G – 9 000 £ / 11 000 € / 12 000 $ pair.

Platinum 100 3G – 4 500 £ / 5 500 € / 6 000 $ pair.

Platine C250 3G – 3 500 £ / 4 750 € / 5 250 $ piece.

Availablity : November 2022 to February 2023.

Last edited:

Jukebox

The bookshelf could be a solution for me; let's see some measurements and to receive it for demo.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The bookshelf could be a solution for me; let's see some measurements and to receive it for demo.
As an owner of Platinum 1 speakers, 6k usd for a pair of PL100 3G bookshelfs, I would prioritize other brands with well known measurements.

Like the March Audio Sointuva:

Jukebox

As an owner of Platinum 1 speakers, 6k usd for a pair of PL100 3G bookshelfs, I would prioritize other brands with well known measurements.

Like the March Audio Sointuva:

Soituva is out of reach in my country; I tested a bunch of bookshelf speakers lately, Kef Reference 1 Meta and Q Acoustics Concept 300 being my favorites so far.
But i'm always in the search for next best thing before pulling the trigger....although I think you're right about Monitor Platinum not being that better one...

Recluse-Animator

Way overpriced as many other manufacturers.
There's no reason to pick these over Kef if you want passive easy to buy all over the world retail speakers.
And if you live in the US there's many better internet direct options such as Ascend, Salk, Philharmonica or JTR.
Then there's Revel, Polk and Arendal which measures great.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's no reason to pick these over Kef if you want passive easy to buy all over the world retail speakers.
And if you live in the US there's many better internet direct options such as Ascend, Salk, Philharmonica or JTR.
You seem to know a lot about just announced speakers that haven't been measured anywhere so far.

Previous Platinum II measured decent, BTW. And I would personally pick Platinum over KEF R or Reference (not META) all day.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Recluse-Animator

You seem to know a lot about just announced speakers that haven't been measured anywhere so far.

Previous Platinum II measured decent, BTW. And I would personally pick Platinum over KEF R or Reference (not META) all day.
Decent, but not better than Kef.
Sure you can pick what ever you want, but from a measurements point of view Kef are a safer choice.
And they're coaxials so they're more future proof as you can use them at any listening distance.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How do they spin? That is the question. :)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And they're coaxials so they're more future proof as you can use them at any listening distance.
:rolleyes:
...But certainly not at any listening angle... There is no consensus for narrower directivity. That's about it. Not everyone likes KEF's dual concentric drivers. I don't.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I really don't like the way they look.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Decent, but not better than Kef.
Sure you can pick what ever you want, but from a measurements point of view Kef are a safer choice.
Much as I like KEFs, they're indisputably not for everyone.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Way overpriced as many other manufacturers.
Yes. Here in the US, I think I might look more strongly at the new PSB Synchrony T600, instead. And, priced at $8,999 USD/pair, the T600 is much more affordable than the Platinum 200. This may be the best PSB tower speaker yet. The bass performance is said to be fantastic.

1663881464067.png

Jukebox

Well, I just noticed that these are... Made in China :rolleyes:View attachment 232630

Nothing new from MA, but barely acceptable for a flagship line in this price range. At least, their counterparts (Reference META and Diamond 800s) are still built in UK...
That's not a bad thing in my book actually. Lower chances of man made mistakes as it happens with hand built speakers in the UK; and I saw a few unfortunately

Top Bottom