• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitor Audio Platinum 3G

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I can understand the sound of a speaker with the measurements. I can decide whether I need to buy it or not without visiting a showroom. To me it’s more trustworthy than some random guys impressions, with lot of variables in play like - his hearing ability, his biases, the room in which he demoed. So it’s pointless in my opinion.
Well, if you can find a dealer who will swap out various brands and models of speakers for you in the same system, I think it can be of some value.

HappyMetalGuy

I can understand the sound of a speaker with the measurements. I can decide whether I need to buy it or not without visiting a showroom. To me it’s more trustworthy than some random guys impressions, with lot of variables in play like - his hearing ability, his biases, the room in which he demoed. So it’s pointless in my opinion.
Agree. Am 52 and I don't ear above 14khz at normal levels. For me I just have to ear at home or I won't buy it.

Last edited:

franknorris12

Yeah the room plays a big part in the measurements when taken from the seated position, so again the use of measurements are limited as these are impacted by the room. YMMV, I prefer to read a number of impressions rather than rely solely on graphs, imo etc

dogmamann

Yeah the room plays a big part in the measurements when taken from the seated position, so again the use of measurements are limited as these are impacted by the room. YMMV, I prefer to read a number of impressions rather than rely solely on graphs, imo etc
Measurements from some random persons Room is useless. Measurements fron Systems like klipp on the other Hand is really useful.

Jukebox

How are these sounding? Is there any change or perceived "break-in"?
After extensive listening tests, tweaking, changing position, measurements, audyssey calibration, listening again and more tweaking, I have finally finished and everything sounds just amazing!
So that means 99% they are a keeper and my new every-day reference speakers
In the following days I will try to share my thoughts with pictures and measurement.

P.S I usually don't critical listen to speakers when they are just out of the box; I use heavy music on repeat when I'm leaving the house or break-in test tones CD from Monitor Audio/Isotek; hard to tell how much the sounds improves (if any) during the first days but I do it anyway...it's like a welcome home ritual for new speakers :)

Digi

PL100 3G in the house; tested them for the last 2 weeks.
In my opinion they are one of the better (best?) sounding bookshelfs speakers from Monitor Audio (in the last 5 years I had them all); maybe the current Silver 100 is a little bit more linear in the tweeter range (Dome vs MPD).
They sound neutral overall, with good low end for the size with open highs (without being sibilant); they project a wide soundstage with good enough separation between instrument (but not like KEF crazy good); I suspect the wide dispersion has a role here.
The midrange clarity is just great; they don't sound dark or muddy.

I made some nearfield drivers and port measurements + a full range nearfield measurement on axis; happy to see they targeted a flat frequency response and not went for the showroom bright sound:
- there are some mismatch in the crossover region (the tweeter goes down really fast); probably the floorstand versions, with the small midrange, does a better job integrating with the teeter.
- a resonant peak in the port (didn't heard it in my listening test from about 3.5m);
- the tweeter could be smoother in response but maybe we are seeing some diffraction from the measurement (the peak at 15k I suspect is real); despite that it has a good energy and presence (cymbals are there, very vivid, love the sparkles it offers)

Overall is a solid design from Monitor Audio with a compact form factor, beautiful look and finish, great for a medium size room; the sensitivity is nothing to write home about but with a good 150-200 WPC amp works just fine also in a bigger 45sqm room.

P.S. would I buy them? Probably not, but I like them enough to wonder how the PL200 will sound in my room. I'll report back once I have them because it could be a keeper

View attachment 258617
Hi, I live in the Caribbean on the island of Trinidad and have no way to audition these MA speakers. My listening space measures 19.5ft long x 11.5ft wide x 10-14ft high. Which of the two between MA PLT 100 and 200 3g would be the better speaker for my space and also for all genres of music? How do you compare these models (100 & 200) to KEF Reference 1 Meta and Reference 3 Meta speakers? My current amplifier is a Parasound A21+ and Parasound P6 Pre with SF Sonetto V speakers. I am thinking of upgrading my speakers. I would have to buy in the USA without auditioning and freight forward to me locally. Thanks in advance.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't listen to graphs, so impressions of the speakers in use is way more interesting to me.
So here are my impressions from PAVS 2022:
MA.jpg

Mostly disappointed, unremarkable soundstage and imaging, lack of low-end extension, grainy treble... I prefer the previous PL300 II by quite a margin.

Still improper listening in far from ideal environment. Is that any relevant to you? ;)

How are these sounding? Is there any change or perceived "break-in"?
These would be terribly designed speakers if they do change after break-in...:rolleyes:

Do you listen to Graphs WOW!!! do you like what you ear?
Are you the AngryMetalGuy?

Last edited:

HappyMetalGuy

So here are my impressions from PAVS 2022:
View attachment 276859
Mostly disappointed, unremarkable soundstage and imaging, lack of low-end extension, grainy treble... I prefer the previous PL300 II by quite a margin.

Still improper listening in far from ideal environment. Is that any relevant to you?

These would be terribly designed speakers if they do change after break-in...:rolleyes:

Are you the AngryMetalGuy?
No, I'll change my name.

octavius

I have MA Gold 300 gen.5 I do not know if is it only my feeling but this speakers are not bright absolutely. I would appreciate if were they more brighter in trebles. I´m using RME ADI 2 FS and I had to set treble knob for +4dB for all type of music. :( Bass is enough to me but I do not know why I have this feeling of lack of trebles...?? You guys?

dogmamann

I have MA Gold 300 gen.5 I do not know if is it only my feeling but this speakers are not bright absolutely. I would appreciate if were they more brighter in trebles. I´m using RME ADI 2 FS and I had to set treble knob for +4dB for all type of music. :( Bass is enough to me but I do not know why I have this feeling of lack of trebles...?? You guys?
Broken tweeter may be?

octavius

How can I investigate this? Probably no... I think :)

octavius

octavius

I have just asked because I found some reviews where users described sound like not bright and some comments or posts like bright... For me is really not bright.

MarcT

Forum Donor
How much damping is in your room? Maybe your room is "dead".

octavius

It is living room and I have suspicion for over damping too. Is there any method how can I measure it? Because If I increase JUST +4dB on treble knob (on RME ADI 2 DAC FS) trebles are there. I need not use parametric EQ only trebles knob is enough. Can this phenomenon cause a over damped room?

octavius

I have amp Kinki Studio EX-M1+ without corrections.

HappyMetalGuy

I have amp Kinki Studio EX-M1+ without corrections.
How distant are the speakers from back/side wall have you try to cover the Dual HiVe II ports? Are the speakers new <50h? my living room is about 32m2, I have the Gold 200 5G and they're just right for me. I would think in my case the Gold 300 would have too much bass.

octavius

Thanks Happymetalguy for feedback. So, I have 2.8m apart. I'm sitting 3m from the speakers in equilateral triangle. I bought these speakers like used with low hours of run without scratches in the lacquer. I have these speakers 1 and 1/2 year now. My living room has 48m2. I didn’t cover HiVe II ports. They are 40cm from rear wall.

Top Bottom