• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitor Audio MA3 Series II - Old School - ANYONE KNOW THESE SPEAKERS?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Monitor Audio MA3 Series II

My father in law, an engineer and sort of old school audiophile, is emptying his home and so we'll be selling these speakers (probably!). He listens only to classical
music, and bought these Monitor Audio speakers apparently in the 70's. Also uses a Harman Kardon amp I believe.

In visits to his home over the years I've always been very engaged by these speakers. They seemed really clean, clear, rich, with really convincing instrumental timbre - horns have a wonderful metallic shine, strings sound "silky" and rich, bass seems rich. It's been quite a while since I heard them but I may put them in to my system for a while before deciding to sell them. (Like I need another speaker!).

Anyway, I'm just curious if any of you old timers are familiar with this speaker.

Certain a few interesting details: That oval woofer!

Also, the specs, listed on the front label with the grills off, seem pretty "tube amp friendly" if I've interpreted correctly:

Monitor Audio MA3 Series II - FRONT.jpg

Monitor Audio MA3 Series II - GRILLS OFF.jpg

Monitor Audio MA3 Series II - FRONT SPECS LABEL.jpg

Not exactly a beauty from behind. Looks almost like raw particle board?

Monitor Audio MA3 Series II - BACK LABEL.jpg

Monitor Audio MA3 Series II - REAR.jpg

Michou

Classic 1976 British Loudspeaker.
4 Ohm/88dB.
EMI 14"x9" ref. No. 14A770C Oval woofer on cast iron chassis.
Tweeter believed to be a modified Isophon KK8 or KK10.
Midrange is a B&W unit with bextrene cone and cast chassis.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice, a proper three-way! That looks like it would have been a few bucks at the time. I remember going into the Kenwood, Pioneer, Technics, Sanyo, Fisher dealer and seeing all the speakers and they where large and with paper tweeters. Nothing like this speaker you have here.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Classic 1976 British Loudspeaker.
4 Ohm/88dB.
EMI 14"x9" ref. No. 14A770C Oval woofer on cast iron chassis.
Tweeter believed to be a modified Isophon KK8 or KK10.
Midrange is a B&W unit with bextrene cone and cast chassis.

Thanks. I saw the rating there 94db at one meter but missed the "10 watts" so I guess you did the math for the more modern description of the sensitivity.

Penelinfi

I heard a pair once but with a replacement circle woofer. Not sure where this crosses at and hence what effect on the sound. But seemed to sound ok for the time period

stoo23

I absolutely Loved these Speakers !! One could Easily 'Live' with these, nice smooth Easy listening :)
We had these at the HiFi store I used to work at and these were Easily one of My favourite loudspeakers, along with perhaps Spendor BC-1's :)

Sadly they were (at the time) Too expensive and probably would Still be today, considering the often Stupid prices people are expecting for almost Anything from THAT Era, Good or Bad LOL

Surely you are intending Keeping them !!

Christobay

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get the woofer cone repaired? It has a rip on the outside.

Top Bottom