• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitor Audio Platinum 3G

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

franknorris12

More similar than different I would say. Gold 200 is still my choice between the two, it offers the complete package and comes also in very compact form factor, especially for a stand floor.
Handles better dynamics and low end extension, but the Platinum is a tad better in almost every other aspect.

Didn't make any measurements for the Gold yet, although I suspect is flatter.
I will make some measurements when I have time

That sounds great. I have a feeling the Gold 200s hit a kind of sweet-spot price wise for performance - the equivalent Platinum 200 3G are ~£9K vs ~£3K for the Gold 200 5G. I wonder how much better the Plat 3G 200s would be

Jukebox

That sounds great. I have a feeling the Gold 200s hit a kind of sweet-spot price wise for performance - the equivalent Platinum 200 3G are ~£9K vs ~£3K for the Gold 200 5G. I wonder how much better the Plat 3G 200s would be
I will let you know once I receive them; for sure the port resonance and dip in the crossover region are solved with the PL200 and 300, They are not a big deal (audible) in the 100's either but my engineer brain don't like them :D

franknorris12

I will let you know once I receive them; for sure the port resonance and dip in the crossover region are solved with the PL200 and 300, They are not a big deal (audible) in the 100's either but my engineer brain don't like them :D

Any news on this please? Did you get the Gold 200s?

Reactions: ENG

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That 1% distortion number is irrelevant/inaudible at any healthy normal listening level:

It has to do with the mid range driver design. The Canton Reference timbre is very natural. Kef's UniQ driver has a lot of wheezing.

I had the Q350 for a while and heard the 750 and 950 on store. Those speakers are a far cry from the Canton's Reference Sound.

Regarding the resonance mode: Your own pasted statement qualified it a "mild". A.k.a very much inaudible.

The Canton Reference 9k (the model I currently own) has an excellent FR in my room:

My room has a strong mode at 58 Hz That's the peak on the measurement I took. For the two channels on their respective spots.

By the end of this week or maybe next I will have the 7K model. I liked the 9K so much that I decided to upgrade to it's bigger bro! :)
What kind of wheezing do you mean? !!!

HappyMetalGuy

More similar than different I would say. Gold 200 is still my choice between the two, it offers the complete package and comes also in very compact form factor, especially for a stand floor.
Handles better dynamics and low end extension, but the Platinum is a tad better in almost every other aspect.

Didn't make any measurements for the Gold yet, although I suspect is flatter.
I will make some measurements when I have time
I also have the gold 200 5G, tried many, but not thinking of changing them anytime soon (and for a change I must ear in my living room first and like it better). I think the Gold 200 5G have everything I want at least connected to Keces S300 power and Keces S3 Pre/DAC.
Measurements would be nice, but in the end it's the sound in your room that counts (for me).

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Jukebox

It's going to be a long weekend :D

Attachments

• 20230317_215224.jpg
    20230317_215224.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

MarcT

Forum Donor

dogmamann

Do you listen to Graphs WOW!!! do you like what you ear?
I can understand the sound of a speaker with the measurements. I can decide whether I need to buy it or not without visiting a showroom. To me it’s more trustworthy than some random guys impressions, with lot of variables in play like - his hearing ability, his biases, the room in which he demoed. So it’s pointless in my opinion.

Top Bottom