• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Probelou

I'm trying to resolve a 45hz room mode and have been advised to check out MiniDSP.

I know a little bit about MiniDSP but I don't fully understand how or where it would fit into my current system. I'm currently running a Chord Hugo TT2 with M-Scaler into a Benchmark LA4 preamp that feeds 2x Benchmark AHB2 in monoblock mode. I'm not looking to replace any of this equipment but would like to understand how MiniDSP could fit in.

I use an iPad as my music source and that's connected to the M-Scaler by USB. Would a MiniDSP come before M-Scaler and essentially take the USB feed from the iPad, do it's DSP work and then spit out a digital signal into the M-Scaler?

Any and all help will be appreciated.

poxymoron

Sell the M-Scaler to some poor unfortunate and buy a miniDSP FLEX with the built in DAC and Dirac room correction, along with Umik 1 and some room treatment. Then use what funds are left from the M-Scaler and go on a nice holiday. You'll never look back.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

TimW

Major Contributor
What comes before the DAC?

As Ray mentioned, you can use a miniDSP before the DAC or in your case, the M-Scaler. I think that is how it works with that Chord gear right? Personally I use a miniDSP SHD as my DAC/DSP/Preamp. For you I think the best option would be the SHD Studio which has USB/AES-EBU/SPDIF/Optical inputs and AES-EBU/SPDIF outputs. Place it in between your digital source device and the M-Scaler.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What comes before the DAC?

As Ray mentioned, you can use a miniDSP before the DAC or in your case, the M-Scaler. I think that is how it works with that Chord gear right? Personally I use a miniDSP SHD as my DAC/DSP/Preamp. For you I think the best option would be the SHD Studio which has USB/AES-EBU/SPDIF/Optical inputs and AES-EBU/SPDIF outputs. Place it in between your digital source device and the M-Scaler.
Also the miniDSP Flex with the digital I/O option.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
If you could use software to correct your 45Hz peak, then you may not need a MiniDSP. The problem is whether there is software for the iPad capable of performing convolution. I have no idea if such a thing exists since I don't use iOS. We have to ask ASR.

If you can connect a computer to your sound system, then it's a different story. Plenty of convolution engines exist for Windows, Linux, MacOS. You could even use a Raspberry Pi. Some of these are free (like CamillaDSP).

If the idea of not spending any money or adding any further boxes to your system attracts you, then this is what you have to do:

1. Set up your computer to take measurement sweeps with your mic (I presume you already own a mic since you know you have a peak at 45Hz). Use REW software, it is free.
2. Generate a correction filter with REW.
3. Load the filter into your convolution engine, sit back, and enjoy.

Reactions: OCA

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you could use software to correct your 45Hz peak, then you may not need a MiniDSP. The problem is whether there is software for the iPad capable of performing convolution. I have no idea if such a thing exists since I don't use iOS. We have to ask ASR.

If you can connect a computer to your sound system, then it's a different story. Plenty of convolution engines exist for Windows, Linux, MacOS. You could even use a Raspberry Pi. Some of these are free (like CamillaDSP).

If the idea of not spending any money or adding any further boxes to your system attracts you, then this is what you have to do:

1. Set up your computer to take measurement sweeps with your mic (I presume you already own a mic since you know you have a peak at 45Hz). Use REW software, it is free.
2. Generate a correction filter with REW.
3. Load the filter into your convolution engine, sit back, and enjoy.
SoundID has a PEQ and is for iPad.

OP
P

Probelou

If you can connect a computer to your sound system, then it's a different story.
I do have my TV connected as well, so a software solution would only cover me for music. I'm not adverse to adding one more box so I think I'll explore this further.
SoundID has a PEQ and is for iPad.
I've had a look at the iOS version of SoundID and it only appears to work with 4 different variants of SoundID enabled headphones, so unfortunately I don't think this would work for me.

OP
P

Probelou

Also the miniDSP Flex with the digital I/O option.
Would this give me the same amount of options/correction as the SHD Studio?

As an aside, I have been experimenting with an RME ADI-2 FS and it's 5 band paramedic EQ. After some prolonged listening, tweaking gain, crossover and the EQ I've managed to get my system quite well dialled in. Admittedly, this moves me away from my current Chord setup which I'm in no rush to do, but I've found the EQ to be quite effective so far.

This is probably gonna sound dumb, but what would a miniDSP give over and above the EQ on the RME?

Kachda

Forum Donor

As an aside, I have been experimenting with an RME ADI-2 FS and it's 5 band paramedic EQ. After some prolonged listening, tweaking gain, crossover and the EQ I've managed to get my system quite well dialled in. Admittedly, this moves me away from my current Chord setup which I'm in no rush to do, but I've found the EQ to be quite effective so far.

This is probably gonna sound dumb, but what would a miniDSP give over and above the EQ on the RME?
More than 5 eq bands and crossover functionality. And dirac optionally

Eetu

Forum Donor
I'm guessing you're currently using the REL method of sub integration and blending the sub with Dynaudios' natural roll-off? With the MiniDSP you would be able to high-pass the Dynaudios. IME especially 2-way speakers benefit from not having to produce low bass. We've seen from for example Erin's and Nuyes' measurements that having a 80Hz xo can halve IMD when compared to same woofer running full range.

OP
P

Probelou

I'm guessing you're currently using the REL method of sub integration and blending the sub with Dynaudios' natural roll-off?
Yes, you're correct.

I've literally just order a miniDSP Flex with the digital I/O. My intention for the system chain is iPad -> miniDSP -> M Scaler/DAC -> preamp -> amp > speakers + sub.

I'm not sure how I would be able to use the crossover within the miniDSP and high-pass the Dynaudios as that would be feeding a corrected digital signal directly into M Scaler/DAC. The sub takes a feed directly off my power amps so if I were to set a high-pass filter in the miniDSP that same filtered signal would be all that gets to the power amps.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, you're correct.

I've literally just order a miniDSP Flex with the digital I/O. My intention for the system chain is iPad -> miniDSP -> M Scaler/DAC -> preamp -> amp > speakers + sub.

I'm not sure how I would be able to use the crossover within the miniDSP and high-pass the Dynaudios as that would be feeding a corrected digital signal directly into M Scaler/DAC. The sub takes a feed directly off my power amps so if I were to set a high-pass filter in the miniDSP that same filtered signal would be all that gets to the power amps.
You’d need a second DAC for the sub, and connect it to the subs low-level inputs. That way you can crossover both speakers and sub separately. Hopefully you ordered a UMIK as well. You’ll need it. A simple DAC will do for a sub. Should set you back around €$£ 100. Note that you’ll need to compensate for the delay the other DAC introduces due to its long filter.

TimW

Major Contributor
Yes, you're correct.

You’d need a second DAC for the sub, and connect it to the subs low-level inputs. That way you can crossover both speakers and sub separately. Hopefully you ordered a UMIK as well. You’ll need it. A simple DAC will do for a sub. Should set you back around €$£ 100. Note that you’ll need to compensate for the delay the other DAC introduces due to its long filter.
He will also need to use the miniDSP for volume control in that scenario, negating the need for his preamp.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
He will also need to use the miniDSP for volume control in that scenario, negating the need for his preamp.
Correct, that’s the consequence of this setup.

OP
P

Probelou

Thanks for all the options and insight.

If I were to implement this I'm assuming I'd leave my Hugo TT2 in DAC only mode and plug the XLRs straight into the back of my power amps? Then volume would be attenuated at the source, i.e. the miniDSP?

TimW

Major Contributor
Basically. Obviously the I/O is different and the SHD has a wifi Streamer. Both can have Dirac Live room correction but it does not come standard with the Flex.

If I were to implement this I'm assuming I'd leave my Hugo TT2 in DAC only mode and plug the XLRs straight into the back of my power amps? Then volume would be attenuated at the source, i.e. the miniDSP?
Correct. You would also connect the subs to a DAC connected to the miniDSP, rather than using the amplifier connection.

OP
P

Probelou

I should be receiving my miniDSP Flex tomorrow. Any advice or tips with using REW and miniDSP would be appreciated.

Initially, I'll be using the REL method of sub integration by connecting it to the outputs on my power amps. I'm planning to take measurements of my speakers and sub individually so I can dial in the best crossover and gain settings. Then I'll be taking measurements of the speakers and sub combined and working on the EQ.

I'll investigate Dirac too and see how this compares.

aikofan

My intention for the system chain is iPad -> miniDSP -> M Scaler/DAC -> preamp -> amp > speakers + sub.
For a minimalist like me, that’s a long, complex signal chain with lots of redundancies but no ability to high pass.

Zapper

For a minimalist like me, that’s a long, complex signal chain with lots of redundancies but no ability to high pass.
I agree. I like this better:

WiiM -> miniDSP -> powered monitors, powered subwoofers

Top Bottom