• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

Todd74

As an authorized miniDSP dealer, we believe that the SHD + Dirac Live + high quality amplifiers and speakers results in a world-class solution that is clearly superior to an audio video receiver (AVR) based system. SHD + Dirac is what we listen to in our work studio at Deer Creek Audio.
Respectfully, this still doesn’t address my question. Superior sound in what ways?… and by how many magnitudes of superiority are we talking here? Is it “Yeah I can tell a slight improvement”…… or is it, “WHOA I can’t believe I listened to music on my Denon 6700 and actually thought it sounded amazing! I’m glad the SHD’s shown me the light!”

Honestly though, with a $220 return fee + roughly $70 in total shipping + another $125 in consulting, I likely won’t be doing a comparison. If the difference isn’t great enough to justify the purchase, then that’s about $420 out of pocket just to A/B the two. Hard pass. If the SHD provided more than a marginal level of improvement over a higher end AVR, I would think Deer Creek Audio would offer free returns [minus shipping] to match the level of confidence you appear to have in the product.

Last edited:

Matt S

Thank you for the honest answer.
I do listen in 2-channel mode, just with Audyssey engaged, as it sounds better than Pure Direct.
Completely agree there. Pure direct is audiophile nonsense. Audyssey XT32 improves things no end in my experience too.

I have an SHD and I do love it. Mine is plugged into some Genelec speakers and the room is untreated. I smile every time I listen.

But then I also used to smile when using my Denon 3600 with Audyssey engaged.

Overall though, I do feel like my experience is a little better but that comment is purely subjective.. Note that my entire system changed too, speakers included.

Todd74

If you don’t want one, don’t buy one. Pretty simple.
Yup. I definitely posted a comment looking for honest opinions about the subjective differences people have experienced between the SHD and an AVR just to waste my time…. but I appreciate the comment. You’ve been very helpful.
Cheers

deercreekaudio

Dealer
Respectfully, this still doesn’t address my question. Superior sound in what ways?… and by how many magnitudes of superiority are we talking here? Is it “Yeah I can tell a slight improvement”…… or is it, “WHOA I can’t believe I listened to music on my Denon 6700 and actually thought it sounded amazing! I’m glad the SHD’s shown me the light!”

Honestly though, with a $220 return fee + roughly $70 in total shipping + another $125 in consulting, I likely won’t be doing a comparison. If the difference isn’t great enough to justify the purchase, then that’s about $420 out of pocket just to A/B the two. Hard pass. If the SHD provided more than a marginal level of improvement over a higher end AVR, I would think Deer Creek Audio would offer free returns [minus shipping] to match the level of confidence you appear to have in the product.
As an engineering oriented company we strive to participate in the ASR forum from a technical solution oriented perspective.
Our concept is that the SHD be the stereo core which is then surrounded by the home theater system. We recommend this for people whose primary use is high fidelity stereo music
Purchasing a miniDSP SHD with the goal of implementing a proper Dirac Live Project in a high fidelity stereo system is a paradigm shift from the classic audiophile practice of swapping components in and out to reach audio nirvana. This is why we offer no free trial.
In our opinion, when Dirac Live is implemented with it’s DACs plus high quality amplifiers and speakers the results is an experience with the depth, layering and imaging of sound that comes from being in the same space with the musicians.
Please see the next post.

Last edited:

deercreekaudio

Dealer

A Dynamic Hybrid Approach

This method uses a high performance audio system as the core left and right speakers and subwoofer, and seamlessly integrates it into a multi-channel home theater system. The Dirac Live room and system correction utilized in the audio system is carried over to the home theater experience.

The first step is to build your stereo system, including setup of all crossovers, delays and Dirac Live projects. This ensures your stereo 2.1 or 2.2 system is fully optimized.

Next, the audio video system is built around the stereo system with its center and surround speakers. The audio of the AVR needs to be set up with the main left and right speakers at full range, so that when the home theater calibration procedure is performed the full audio spectrum is covered. After the home theater system has been integrated and tested with the stereo, the entire system is calibrated by your AVR using Audyssey, ARC, YPAO, Dirac, etc.

When functioning as a stereo system, the AVR/AVP and associated center and surround speakers are removed from the equation. Digital sources are streamed directly into the 2.1 or 2.2 system for a pure and unadulterated stereo listening experience.

For movie night, the AVR/AVP utilizes the stereo system as its main left, main right and subwoofer speakers. In movie mode, the entire system is calibrated by your AVR using Audyssey, ARC, YPAO, Dirac, etc.

Using an AVP with miniDSP SHD and Separate Power Amplifiers

In the example below, the front left and right line level speaker outputs are connected to the two stereo inputs on the miniDSP SHD. The SHD then handles the crossovers between the active subwoofers and main left and right speakers, as well as applying Dirac Live room correction. The AVP is set for large full range speaker with no subwoofer.

Diagram 1.  High-end hybrid home theater stereo system with AVP, balanced interconnects and external power amplifiers.
Diagram 1. High-end hybrid home theater stereo system with AVP, balanced interconnects and external power amplifiers.

Direct stereo music sources, including streaming services like Tidal or Qobuz, can be streamed internally from the SHD. Or, music from a network area storage device, CD player or Roon can be incorporated as high definition audio sources for stereo listening.

An Affordable System Built with an AVR and miniDSP Flex

This example uses the more affordably priced AVR with built-in amplifiers and the miniDSP Flex in a single-ended configuration.

Diagram 2.  An affordable system built with an AVR, miniDSP Flex and power amplifier.
Diagram 2. An affordable system built with an AVR, miniDSP Flex and power amplifier.

Utilizing both AVR and miniDSP Flex to Drive Separate Subwoofers

This example splits the subwoofers between the AVR and the stereo’s miniDSP system, and may be required in some setups where the main speakers cannot be configured as full range. It also may provide additional flexibility desired by the user.

Diagram 3.  Utilizing both AVR and miniDSP Flex to drive separate subwoofers.
Diagram 3. Utilizing both AVR and miniDSP Flex to drive separate subwoofers.

Completing the Setup and Calibration of Your System

The order in which the system is setup and calibrated is important. First the core stereo system is setup and calibrated using REW and Dirac. Here’s our Tech Blog detailing that process: Simplifying the Science of Subwoofer Integration

After confirming that the stereo system is optimized, you will connect it to the main outputs of your AVR/AVP and begin calibration of the home theater system using your preferred AVR correction process (Audyssey, ARC, YPAO, Dirac, etc.)

The stereo system is viewed as a pair of perfect front main speakers by the AVR/AVP.

Please refer to the examples listed above when selecting the speaker type configurations. At this time you will select a nominal level for the SHD such as -10 dB. Once this step is complete, continue with your AVR or AVP correction process.

Switching Between Stereo and Home Theater Mode

There are two settings you need to make on the miniDSP SHD from either the front panel or remote control. First, set the SHD master volume. For example, -10 dB or the setting prior to performing your home theater correction process. Next, you will select the analog input from the AVR/AVP to the SHD, either analog RCA or Balanced.

When it's time to go back to stereo listening simply select whichever direct digital source you like, such as Roon, TIDAL Connect, your NAS, CD player, etc. If a turntable is part of your stereo setup, you will need to connect it using a phono preamp with an analog output that is alternate to the one you are using for the AVR/AVP connection.

Last edited:

subframe

Yup. I definitely posted a comment looking for honest opinions about the subjective differences people have experienced between the SHD and an AVR just to waste my time…. but I appreciate the comment. You’ve been very helpful.
Cheers
In the spirit of constructive dialogue: honestly your posts came off as demanding other people justify a purchase for you.

Let me reframe the question: what are you lacking with your AVR? What improvements would you like to realize? Subjective opinions aside, do you need any of the functionality the SHD offers that your AVR doesn’t?

Personally I think it sounds as good as a modern well-engineered DAC should. The flexibility it offers in terms of I/O, crossover control, per-channel PEQ etc is very useful.

Todd74

In the spirit of constructive dialogue: honestly your posts came off as demanding other people justify a purchase for you.

Let me reframe the question: what are you lacking with your AVR? What improvements would you like to realize? Subjective opinions aside, do you need any of the functionality the SHD offers that your AVR doesn’t?

Personally I think it sounds as good as a modern well-engineered DAC should. The flexibility it offers in terms of I/O, crossover control, per-channel PEQ etc is very useful.
I wasn’t demanding anything. I was asking for assistance. I don’t want to know what something is; I want to know why I need it. If it can improve my music listening, then tell me how it improves it. I think that’s a fair enough ask when it involves spending an additional $1500 above & beyond the 2-channel music I’m already getting from a $2500 AVR. Simply telling me the device is superior isn’t really telling me anything. We don’t sell things based on what they are; we sell based on what they provide. A Purifi based amp is scientifically superior to its Hypex counterpart. Does that mean anything in real world use in my system where I can’t tell the difference between the two?

So yeah, help me “justify” an additional $1500 into my music listening about a product I’ve never heard and which would cost me nearly $400 out of pocket if I decided it wasn’t enough of an improvement over the 6700 to justify the spendings.
So what are we talking here? Coming from the 6700 in a treated room where I very much enjoy the sound I’m getting, would the SHD be akin to chasing the final 3% or whatever that some audiophiles covet, or is it greater than that to where clarity, imaging, and holographic ability are transcended to another level? Obviously if it doesn’t cost me $400 to demo the SHD I wouldn’t be asking these questions. Maybe I’ll find one on the second hand market where it’ll only cost 30-40 bucks to flip if the experience doesn’t justify the cost.

To answer your question— I can’t say what I’m lacking in my AVR when my ears have nothing to stack it up against. If you asked me in 1985 what the special effects of the top blockbuster movie are like, I’d probably tell you they’re pretty fantastic.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wasn’t demanding anything. I was asking for assistance. I don’t want to know what something is; I want to know why I need it. If it can improve my music listening, then tell me how it improves it. I think that’s a fair enough ask when it involves spending an additional $1500 above & beyond the 2-channel music I’m already getting from a $2500 AVR. Simply telling me the device is superior isn’t really telling me anything. We don’t sell things based on what they are; we sell based on what they provide. A Purifi based amp is scientifically superior to its Hypex counterpart. Does that mean anything in real world use in my system where I can’t tell the difference between the two?

So yeah, help me “justify” an additional $1500 into my music listening about a product I’ve never heard and which would cost me nearly $400 out of pocket if I decided it wasn’t enough of an improvement over the 6700 to justify the spendings.
So what are we talking here? Coming from the 6700 in a treated room where I very much enjoy the sound I’m getting, would the SHD be akin to chasing the final 3% or whatever that some audiophiles covet, or is it greater than that to where clarity, imaging, and holographic ability are transcended to another level? Obviously if it doesn’t cost me $400 to demo the SHD I wouldn’t be asking these questions. Maybe I’ll find one on the second hand market where it’ll only cost 30-40 bucks to flip if the experience doesn’t justify the cost.

To answer your question— I can’t say what I’m lacking in my AVR when my ears have nothing to stack it up against. If you asked me in 1985 what the special effects of the top blockbuster movie are like, I’d probably tell you they’re pretty fantastic.
Don't have a SHD but do have an AVR w/ Dirac Live so can weigh in on the dramatic improvement I noted in my system simply by enabling DL. It's truly a night and day difference in my system watching HT but 2 channel music is good but not light years ahead of my separate pre>DAC>Purifi>F208 chain but I didn't expect it to be. Others may have a different experience. If you don't think Dirac Live will improve your sound then you probably don't need or want a SHD, as your AVR does most everything it does except DL IMHO.

Matt S

Todd, I decided to buy the SHD as I wanted a room correction device that measured better (objectively) than the AVRs reviewed here on ASR. At the time of purchase it was the best device of its type as measured by Amir. I also purchased my speakers based on the same reasoning.

My subconscious knows this and whether it's placebo or not, my brain tells me that everything sounds that little bit better than my prior AVR setup.

Subjectively there is a definite improvement. My soundstage is better and voices in particular, are incredible. It is not many multiples better, but it is as close to perfect as I will get in my little listening room.

This is your hobby and you're already tempted. Your best option might be to buy, enjoy playing around and then sell if it doesn't achieve what you desire. That 10-15 percent (I don't like putting a number on this) improvement might be money well spent.

I understand why you've asked the question. It's just a difficult one to answer. You'll only find out by buying and listening yourself ;-) ... So, go on, you know you want to.

Overseas

Major Contributor
For the moment, I have Yamaha YPAO that works with the push of a button. I understand Dirac Minidsp is the unicorn of room correction (probably) but it is also clear to me that for me and thousands of audiophiles like me, it should come with a technician to set it up. Not available to change my job to understand and operate it... and still pay for that.

Matt S

For the moment, I have Yamaha YPAO that works with the push of a button. I understand Dirac Minidsp is the unicorn of room correction (probably) but it is also clear to me that for me and thousands of audiophiles like me, it should come with a technician to set it up. Not available to change my job to understand and operate it... and still pay for that.
It's actually not overly complicated. Just dedicate two to three hours to it and you're away. You can disappear down rabbit holes of course but generally, it's fairly automated once you've set up a few items.

Sommer

This method uses a high performance audio system as the core left and right speakers and subwoofer, and seamlessly integrates it into a multi-channel home theater system. The Dirac Live room and system correction utilized in the audio system is carried over to the home theater experience.

The first step is to build your stereo system, including setup of all crossovers, delays and Dirac Live projects. This ensures your stereo 2.1 or 2.2 system is fully optimized.

Next, the audio video system is built around the stereo system with its center and surround speakers. The audio of the AVR needs to be set up with the main left and right speakers at full range, so that when the home theater calibration procedure is performed the full audio spectrum is covered. After the home theater system has been integrated and tested with the stereo, the entire system is calibrated by your AVR using Audyssey, ARC, YPAO, Dirac, etc.

When functioning as a stereo system, the AVR/AVP and associated center and surround speakers are removed from the equation. Digital sources are streamed directly into the 2.1 or 2.2 system for a pure and unadulterated stereo listening experience.

For movie night, the AVR/AVP utilizes the stereo system as its main left, main right and subwoofer speakers. In movie mode, the entire system is calibrated by your AVR using Audyssey, ARC, YPAO, Dirac, etc.

Using an AVP with miniDSP SHD and Separate Power Amplifiers

In the example below, the front left and right line level speaker outputs are connected to the two stereo inputs on the miniDSP SHD. The SHD then handles the crossovers between the active subwoofers and main left and right speakers, as well as applying Dirac Live room correction. The AVP is set for large full range speaker with no subwoofer.

Diagram 1.  High-end hybrid home theater stereo system with AVP, balanced interconnects and external power amplifiers.
Diagram 1. High-end hybrid home theater stereo system with AVP, balanced interconnects and external power amplifiers.

Direct stereo music sources, including streaming services like Tidal or Qobuz, can be streamed internally from the SHD. Or, music from a network area storage device, CD player or Roon can be incorporated as high definition audio sources for stereo listening.

An Affordable System Built with an AVR and miniDSP Flex

This example uses the more affordably priced AVR with built-in amplifiers and the miniDSP Flex in a single-ended configuration.

Diagram 2.  An affordable system built with an AVR, miniDSP Flex and power amplifier.
Diagram 2. An affordable system built with an AVR, miniDSP Flex and power amplifier.

Utilizing both AVR and miniDSP Flex to Drive Separate Subwoofers

This example splits the subwoofers between the AVR and the stereo’s miniDSP system, and may be required in some setups where the main speakers cannot be configured as full range. It also may provide additional flexibility desired by the user.

Diagram 3.  Utilizing both AVR and miniDSP Flex to drive separate subwoofers.
Diagram 3. Utilizing both AVR and miniDSP Flex to drive separate subwoofers.

Completing the Setup and Calibration of Your System

The order in which the system is setup and calibrated is important. First the core stereo system is setup and calibrated using REW and Dirac. Here’s our Tech Blog detailing that process: Simplifying the Science of Subwoofer Integration

After confirming that the stereo system is optimized, you will connect it to the main outputs of your AVR/AVP and begin calibration of the home theater system using your preferred AVR correction process (Audyssey, ARC, YPAO, Dirac, etc.)

The stereo system is viewed as a pair of perfect front main speakers by the AVR/AVP.

Please refer to the examples listed above when selecting the speaker type configurations. At this time you will select a nominal level for the SHD such as -10 dB. Once this step is complete, continue with your AVR or AVP correction process.

Switching Between Stereo and Home Theater Mode

There are two settings you need to make on the miniDSP SHD from either the front panel or remote control. First, set the SHD master volume. For example, -10 dB or the setting prior to performing your home theater correction process. Next, you will select the analog input from the AVR/AVP to the SHD, either analog RCA or Balanced.

When it's time to go back to stereo listening simply select whichever direct digital source you like, such as Roon, TIDAL Connect, your NAS, CD player, etc. If a turntable is part of your stereo setup, you will need to connect it using a phono preamp with an analog output that is alternate to the one you are using for the AVR/AVP connection.

I really like this approach (Using an AVP with miniDSP SHD and Separate Power Amplifiers), and is choosing between going down that route or buy an Denon/Pioneer/Integra-receiver/processor with Dirac Live+BC further on.

Today I'm running a similar system, altough just with an 2*4HD between the receiver and amps. Using Pure Direct when listening to 2 channels music.

I just wish that the SHD would have an Home Theatre-input option on the analog in, with fixed volume level. That would make it more family friendly.

Reactions: EJ3

MCH

Major Contributor
I really like this approach (Using an AVP with miniDSP SHD and Separate Power Amplifiers), and is choosing between going down that route or buy an Denon/Pioneer/Integra-receiver/processor with Dirac Live+BC further on.

Today I'm running a similar system, altough just with an 2*4HD between the receiver and amps. Using Pure Direct when listening to 2 channels music.

I just wish that the SHD would have an Home Theatre-input option on the analog in, with fixed volume level. That would make it more family friendly.

Sommer

Yes, recieved the newsletter and read about this item. However it's not for the application I'm after.

I would like to put an SHD between my receiver and my amps. When watching multichannel content I want the reciver to handle the room correction and just let the signal go through the SHD (with fixed volume level), which is working like active crossover for the fronts and subwoofers.

When listening to two channels music I would like to put the receiver out of the equation. And just use Roon in the SHD as primary source straight in to the fronts and subs (via amps ofc).

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning

This method uses a high performance audio system as the core left and right speakers and subwoofer, and seamlessly integrates it into a multi-channel home theater system. The Dirac Live room and system correction utilized in the audio system is carried over to the home theater experience.....

Nice diagrams! So how do you bass manage the center/surrounds/tops, and deal with the SHD 26mS delay to them in these setups?

My $0.02 for anyone doing this, as I do. Just use a switcher for left/front/subs between their pre-out's and the amps and done. Now you have two completely separate AVR and 2-ch systems, nothing to change on either going from one to the other such as having to manually change volume levels first, proper bass management on all speakers, proper LFE handling, etc.

Hayabusa

Nice diagrams! So how do you bass manage the center/surrounds/tops, and deal with the SHD 26mS delay to them in these setups?

My $0.02 for anyone doing this, as I do. Just use a switcher for left/front/subs between their pre-out's and the amps and done. Now you have two completely separate AVR and 2-ch systems, nothing to change on either going from one to the other such as having to manually change volume levels first, proper bass management on all speakers, proper LFE handling, etc.

Best way to do this is make a DIY HT bypass controled by a 12 volt trigger from the AVR:
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...dsp-shd-dac-dsp-and-streamer.4286/post-417398

Hayabusa

rvsixer

Top Bottom